Show me photos done on a green screen

Edit My Images
Yes
Please Show Me photos done on a green screen.

I already have two lastolites dyed backdrops but I'm seriously considering investing in a chroma key green backdrop .

Please show me photos that were originally done on a green screen and then edited to white, black or themed backgrounds .

The way I was considering doing it ....
(Please correct me if there is a better way )
...Was to shoot on a green screen , remove the green in photoshop leaving me with a layer with the image on , add a shadow to the layer and then add whatever background I choose as a base layer ...., that about right ?

Thanks everyone

(I'm particularly interested in green screen to white or black )

I haven't got a clue what you are asking for but will be interested in the replies, which hopefully will explain the advantages of starting with a green screen.

I'm asking for photos that we're took using a chromakey green background with the purpose of removing and replacing it during post processing

OK - ?but why does it have to be green, rather than blue or red orange or ......

Is it that green is not in your main subject and so makes it easier to us eg quick select tool? And if the main subject did have lots of green in it then you would use a blue background (say)

Yes I suppose any shade of chromakey could be used that's fine :)

...but I believe green and blue are most often used as it makes it easier in post processing

Yes I suppose any shade of chromakey could be used that's fine :)

...but I believe green and blue are most often used as it makes it easier in post processing
because .............

ie I am still not understanding why blue and green make for easier processing

I don't know ....

If you're a asking me scientifically or theoretically why green and blue screens are the best to use, I have no idea

Why do film makers use them ?

Why do weather reporters use them?

Because they're easy and affective

Why are they easy and affective?
I don't know.

In theory other colours can be used yes, but surely it would be easier to carry a green one, than a grey, black and white one every time you go to a shoot

I just wanted to see photos people had shot using a green background

Typically, the shades of blue and greens used for chromakey are less likely to be found in skin tones/hair/clothing... thus making it easier to separate the background from the subject. But any solid colour can do really...

What I'm sort of scratching my head at is why would you go to all that trouble of setting up and lighting a chromakey background and the work involved in post just to cut out your subjects for a white or black background? If you get the right sort, black fabric backgrounds suck up the light and are typically very easy to shoot on, and white, although requiring more lighting skill for that high key superwhite background, is (imo) easier and quicker (and more natural looking) than the palava of using chromakey and cutting out your subject.

because .............

ie I am still not understanding why blue and green make for easier processing
RGB the three Primary colours easiest colours for any photo software to find hth mike

RGB the three Primary colours easiest colours for any photo software to find hth mike

Ahh - ok thanks Mike.

Gothgirl - sorry if (what I thought was) a simple question has hi-jacked your thread - hope you have got some useful information anyway.:exit:

I don't know ....

If you're a asking me scientifically or theoretically why green and blue screens are the best to use, I have no idea

Why do film makers use them ?

Why do weather reporters use them?

Because they're easy and affective

Why are they easy and affective?
I don't know.

In theory other colours can be used yes, but surely it would be easier to carry a green one, than a grey, black and white one every time you go to a shoot

I just wanted to see photos people had shot using a green background

The hair, skin, and clothes are less likely to be anything between deep green or blue... If they are dressed in green, maybe you should rethink the screen colour

The hair, skin, and clothes are less likely to be anything between deep green or blue... If they are dressed in green, maybe you should rethink the screen colour
they use green screens during the weather reports etc you may have noticed weather reporters DON'T wear green. (y)

I think ITV News is chromakeyed. The you'll have is evenly lighting the background. Any creases and getting a decent key is hard.

For this reason, retro reflective screens and lens LED rings are becoming more popular.

Hmm I May invest in green screen for the ease of it

Then buy others when I am more experienced with lighting to use other sold colours

Last edited:
You asked this in another trhead I think... or someone did.

Green screen is less than idea for high resolution still photography. It works well with video and motion picture because you need an automated process to matte in the background quickly on thousands of images (24 frames per second at least), and as those indivisual frames are only on view for a fraction of a second, it's actually far less critical.. When creating a high resolution still image, you're better off with a background that just contrasts the subject in tone, not colour. Try masking off fine hair from a green screen... I dare you :)

Dark haired model with dark clothes... light grey backdrop.... blonde model.... darker grey etc. Perfectly adequate.

qFHwQKz.jpg

1ZPCxTR.jpg

For fun, the green screen is great, coupled with Topaz Remask, its a doddle.

Ok, it could be done better (this was my first attempt, manually with layers and the eraser. These were done, about 7 months ago.

12104157206_97342871b3_b.jpg

12103479825_a24deb6f66_b.jpg

12103868074_0ea445bb66_b.jpg

See the green fringe around the head?

That's what I was talking about.

Go try that with fine hair detail :)

Green is preferred over blue these days for 2 main reasons:
1) Green is easier to light evenly compared to blue
2) Digital sensors usually employ a Bayer pattern in the sensor construction meaning a 25/50/25% split on red, green and blue elements - twice as sensitive on the green channel then the other 2 colours.

Green is preferred over blue these days for 2 main reasons:
1) Green is easier to light evenly compared to blue

LOL.. nonsense.

2) Digital sensors usually employ a Bayer pattern in the sensor construction meaning a 25/50/25% split on red, green and blue elements - twice as sensitive on the green channel then the other 2 colours.

Brilliant... and if your model is wearing a green dress?

The methods employed for video are not teh same as those employed by still phtographers.

You choose the colour most appropriate for the scene, and less aggressive, more neutral colours are nearly always preferable fr the higher resolutions involved in still photography. So long as there's sufficient contrast, trust me... you need neutral colours.

Last edited:
Back