Show us yer film shots then!

That's pushed really well RJ, nice colours and tones. What camera was it.

Not sure if I am getting this right or not. I am new to this forum. I don't see any preview button so here goes.

After the Christmas ice storm

We had an ice storm that lasted two days 12/23/13 and 12/24/13. We lost our power for 5 days and it was well below zero F at night like -22 F two nights and - 8 or -9 F during the day time. About 3 feet of snow on the ground. A real pain to walk on. You take a step then go through, another step and break through again, over and over unless you are where its plowed. Luckily we have a backup generator. I believe our neighbors in Canada had the same conditions.

Some shots with my canon Elan IIE I believe it is the EOS 50 across the pond / Ultramax 400. It was cold and miserable when I took these.

I love these two shots!

I also think I read a curious theory a number of posts previously touching on the way film shots have this capability to make a simple, even dull, scene much more interesting. I quite agree, I've often preferred an image shot on film to a near identical image shot on digital without being able to explain exactly why. Weird that, huh.

Oh dear, I've got a bit behind with this thread, some excellent shots since I last looked.

two from my trip out the other day both on kodak plus-x 5x4

12593179595_ccd0ae1c5b_b.jpg

12594335965_a31147d2eb_b.jpg

Love the tones in the waterfall shot, Dave. It was great to see you in action with the Crown Graphic.

I loaded some Cinestill/Kodak Vision 500T (which is motion picture film) into my M4 earlier this week, I quite like the results although it's tungsten balanced so it's a lot nicer at night with mixed lighting conditions (which I haven't done yet!):

ds4IoSj.jpg

I2EjeTK.jpg

Eyeing up a few rolls of Double X as well now...

I loaded some Cinestill/Kodak Vision 500T (which is motion picture film) into my M4 earlier this week, I quite like the results although it's tungsten balanced so it's a lot nicer at night with mixed lighting conditions (which I haven't done yet!):

ds4IoSj.jpg

I2EjeTK.jpg

Very nice. Cinestill is definitely next on my list to try.

Taken last summer at Rochester Airport ( I think). A wing walker biplane. Nikon F3,Nikkor 28mm and Portra 160V.

Osh : Very 'Pictorial' result -- you have got a shallow depth of field which just suits this photo.
Fruit Flakes : I was given a tin of Kodak Cine film many years ago and tried it out -- it was Process C22 -- I had to rub off the RemJet backing layer ! At the time I did not have much use for 'Tungsten Balanced 'film and it was very slow anyway ( 40 ASA I think) You have some good results there.

Last edited:
Reactions: osh
On Christmas day, I decided to experiment with pushing Fuji Pro 400H one stop:

@skysh4rk RJ, a really lovely set and the 'pushing' has really paid off, I do love the colour pallete you achieve!The only problem for me are the sprouts in the first shot, they have left me traumatised, the 'devils' own vegetable!

ds4IoSj.jpg

I2EjeTK.jpg

@FruitFlakes Lloyd, really like these, particularly the candid nature of the first, colours are greta too! I have to try that film, so mnay emulsions and so little time for fun!
Mamiya 7ii, 80mm, Ektar 100

Forest Light 3
by osh rees, on Flickr
@osh Osh, another cracker, great light, colour and composition, simply marvelous!

Last edited:
Reactions: osh
@skysh4rk RJ, a really lovely set and the 'pushing' has really paid off, I do love the colour pallete you achieve!The only problem for me are the sprouts in the first shot, they have left me traumatised, the 'devils' own vegetable!

Thanks, Adrian!

I like how the sprouts look in the photo—I think I caught them in some nice light—but I can assure you that none of them came anywhere near my plate!

Reactions: Jao
Having no other colour film in the house I decided to have another crack at Velvia 100 through the Bronica GS-1. I still really struggle to get something I like, my ability to expose it correctly is about nil, I can't scan it and processing is a bloody nightmare. Anyway here's a couple of feeble efforts, back to Portra for me I think.

Sun-&-Sillhouette
by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Mow-Cop-3-Velvia

Both taken at Mow Cop in Staffordshire using the Zenzanon 65mm lens which, as you can see from the first image, does not suffer from flare.

Thanks all for the comments! I've recently decided to try and photograph some of the forests in North Wales, and especially like the contrast between light and dark when the sun shines between the trees. Ektar seems to work well - it has a lot of contrast, but no so much as Velvia, which I haven't had much success with in such situations as the shadows end up blocked etc (and ND grads wouldn't work). I should think that Portra would work even better because of the dynamic range but I like the Ektar colours. It's just a shame that I missed out on Fuji Reala...

Thanks all for the comments! I've recently decided to try and photograph some of the forests in North Wales, and especially like the contrast between light and dark when the sun shines between the trees. Ektar seems to work well - it has a lot of contrast, but no so much as Velvia, which I haven't had much success with in such situations as the shadows end up blocked etc (and ND grads wouldn't work). I should think that Portra would work even better because of the dynamic range but I like the Ektar colours. It's just a shame that I missed out on Fuji Reala...

:) I have a little stock of Reala. (y)

Having no other colour film in the house I decided to have another crack at Velvia 100 through the Bronica GS-1. I still really struggle to get something I like, my ability to expose it correctly is about nil, I can't scan it and processing is a bloody nightmare. Anyway here's a couple of feeble efforts, back to Portra for me I think.

Sun-&-Sillhouette

Mow-Cop-3-Velvia

Both taken at Mow Cop in Staffordshire using the Zenzanon 65mm lens which, as you can see from the first image, does not suffer from flare.

Andy not sure you should dismiss this out of hand the first shot is little over exposed to the rising or falling sun and therefore dictates the rest of the shot,if you had metered to the sky and knocked it back say 1.5 or 2 stops I think the result would have been fantastic with plenty of foreground detail should you have needed it.

As for the second you have a bit of an HDR look going on there,but, the colour looks very Velvia and I like it very much,good sky,radiating into a very balanced middle ground supported by the cold stone of the foreground. The shot with all the mixed light levels must have been difficult to meter and take and my view is that it is a very good photograph with good thirds.

There is no way I would give up on those results, you could be oshing soon. :) (y)

Andy : You will always get that 'Burnt out' effect of a SUN when the photo is 'Digitalised' for showing on a Forum -- the scanner cannot hold the highlight detail -- I bet the ACTUAL transparency is much better -- I have some VELVIA 100 in the fridge and have got good results from it in the past.

I like both of those. Haven't been there in years A level geology field trip in 85 I guess I was last there.

Happy to run them through a drum scanner if you like ?

A few images of my son out in the woods....
Taken with the Nikon F4 using T-Max 400, developed in Rodinal....

12699512985_3ce8686988_b.jpg

12698949565_dd5448922a_b.jpg

12699021805_6c43fffff3_b.jpg

12699405863_1a851e28b5_b.jpg

I think these are great, good light in the eyes and sharpness in 2 and great action with no motion blur (not easy on film) in 3 and 4.

I think these are great, good light in the eyes and sharpness in 2 and great action with no motion blur (not easy on film) in 3 and 4.
Thanks Rob.... the F4 doesn't always do that great in low light.... so I'm pleased they turned out ok...

Olympus Trip Agfa V 200 taken from our Dive boat into the sunset after a night dive

Rubbish scan into Photo-tBuggered.com

Last edited:
Amazing detail in this Ed, although opening the orginal size on flickr broke my computer :LOL:
Missed this, perhaps you need a better computer :p. Now I have got the drum scanner working well for me they will only get bigger :whistle:

Back