Show us yer film shots then!

Very nice set, Andy, I particularly like the photo of the swans as they seem to really stand out against the water.

Nice set, Andy, especially the swans which have come out MUCH better than I ever manage!

Been a while....finally moved from HK to Germany! Had a batch of films from last minute trip to Japan processed here and the scans were atrocious which finally spurred me on to buy a V550 and scan my own....much happier! All Acros 100 on the M6.

img048.jpg

1. Vendor at Snow Festival in Sapporo

img013.jpg

2. Snowplough in Otaru

img059.jpg

3. Painter in Otaru

I like these a lot. The pretty girl in the first one has her eye on you.

I like that.

I never thought of stitching two halves of 4x5 together, much hassle?

No, it was quite easy really. This was my setup (please forgive digital image)...

I used the folded piece of paper as a guide so I knew where to place the negative and get it straight. The ANR glass is from a betterscanning.com holder. Scan once, then flip the negative around and scan again. Then use the Photomerge function in Elements 11 to join them together. The first time I did it I scanned at way too high resolution and ended up with a 1Gb file! In the photo is a blank piece of film, by the way, rather than a negative, just to show how it works. It does mean that the film is flat on the glass, which isn't ideal.

Another one from the Crown Graphic scanned with the V500...

Reactions: Jao
An
Steveo and Chris, excellent work, some lovely black and white shots.

And speaking of which, a few from me on the Nikon FG and Acros 100.

2-Bridges-2
by andysnapper1, on Flickr

2-Swans

Power-Station

Bollard

All taken around the Catalyst Museum in Widnes.

Cheers

Andy
Andy, that is a cracking set, lovey composition, very nice range of tones, very nice scanning too, the swan shot is particularly wrong although I like them all, lovely work all round!

looks like a tiny bit of camera shake from the mirror maybe. did you factor in the reciprocity rate as well

looks like a tiny bit of camera shake from the mirror maybe. did you factor in the reciprocity rate as well

I used an exposure of 200 seconds I think. I thought that was outside the reciprocity failure zone but I could be wrong. I had hoped that any mirror slap wouldn't be a problem with such a long exposure.

I used an exposure of 200 seconds I think. I thought that was outside the reciprocity failure zone but I could be wrong. I had hoped that any mirror slap wouldn't be a problem with such a long exposure.
My reciprocity app on my phone say that for TMax 100 with an indicated exposure of 3mins 20s should be exposed at 6min 40s.

My reciprocity app on my phone say that for TMax 100 with an indicated exposure of 3mins 20s should be exposed at 6min 40s.

Oh that makes sense then. Thanks for the info.

I keep an Olympus Mju1 in the glove box of the car loaded with Agfa Vista 200. I shot this a while ago but only just got the film developed. It is an Asda dev and scan, with the mono conversion in Lightroom.

Waveney Valley in the dawn mist
13610009354_9d05506668_c_d.jpg

Got my 120 and 35mm velvia back so stand by for some mega posts from me. Just this one for a starter 50 asa velvia on an om10 with 17mm tokina
Rhoose foreshore fossil and seascape

13605652123_cd6bdca69b_b.jpg

Incredible depth of field in that shot, Dave! Good use of a wide angle lens...

I keep an Olympus Mju1 in the glove box of the car loaded with Agfa Vista 200. I shot this a while ago but only just got the film developed. It is an Asda dev and scan, with the mono conversion in Lightroom.

Waveney Valley in the dawn mist
13610009354_9d05506668_c_d.jpg

That's a lovely shot Adrian. Those mju's are really capable little cameras, I got one from the classifieds here for £6 I must use it more. Leaving it in the car is a great idea.

That's a lovely shot Adrian. Those mju's are really capable little cameras, I got one from the classifieds here for £6 I must use it more. Leaving it in the car is a great idea.
Thanks David, the Mju-1 is a very capable little camera with excellent glass. As you say ther come up really cheaply and can produce some great images. An under rated iconic little Olympus in my view.

Leica Mini, Vista 200Asa. Riverside country park.

Got my 120 and 35mm velvia back so stand by for some mega posts from me. Just this one for a starter 50 asa velvia on an om10 with 17mm tokina
Rhoose foreshore fossil and seascape

13605652123_cd6bdca69b_b.jpg

I not sure why,but, this shot gives me a feeling of AD150 Roman times,it may be the fossil looking like a column platform and the natural stone being the foundation of a Roman temple,never the less I love the subtle colours of the Land,sea and sky. The ground pools pick up that beautiful blue in mid sky. Very good photograph indeed.

Last edited:
Nicely done Richard, a Leica Mini eh! looks to have the normal Leica quality.

A different type of film.

Last edited:
This is another from the same day. A different film as well.

Last edited:
Richard, interesting set. I'd not heard of that camera, just had to look it up!

The second shot looks a LOT colder, was the light different, or just the film? You didn't say what the second film was... or the third, for that matter. I'd guess Ektar for the second, only 'cos I think of it a a colder film (but I don't think I've ever tried it). I much prefer the first shot to the second; not just the light but seeing the boat in context. OTOH I do like the last, where the context really has to be inferred.

I've often struggled with black and white photography, opting to shoot colour negative 99% of the time, but I've been aiming to move outside of my comfort zone and concentrate more on B&W over the coming months. Here are a few from my recent trip to Tenerife using Tmax 400 and Acros 100, developed in LC29 (1+29):

Last edited:
The first and the last are very good indeed, RJ. The first should maybe come with a health warning, like news items with flash photography!

I've often struggled with black and white photography, opting to shoot colour negative 99% of the time, but I've been aiming to move outside of my comfort zone and concentrate more on B&W over the coming months. Here are a few from my recent trip to Tenerife using Tmax 400 and Acros 100, developed in LC29 (1+29):

There's something I really like about your images that I can't put my finger on, RJ. They have a look about them - high key, contrasty, sharp - that just hits the spot, in colour and in B&W.

The first and the last are very good indeed, RJ. The first should maybe come with a health warning, like news items with flash photography!

Cheers, Chris. I hope that the light and dark in the first photo didn't startle you too much. ;)

There's something I really like about your images that I can't put my finger on, RJ. They have a look about them - high key, contrasty, sharp - that just hits the spot, in colour and in B&W.

Much of the time I'm just experimenting (there's too much to learn!), but I guess I do tend to shoot toward the sun, which shades the subjects, but also leaves the surrounding areas very bright. Perhaps that's what you're seeing?

At any rate, I greatly appreciate the kind words.:)

Much of the time I'm just experimenting (there's too much to learn!), but I guess I do tend to shoot toward the sun, which shades the subjects, but also leaves the surrounding areas very bright. Perhaps that's what you're seeing?

That's probably it, yes. You manage to retain a lot of contrast, though, when it can be easy (IME) to lose it when shooting towards the sun.

Richard, interesting set. I'd not heard of that camera, just had to look it up!

The second shot looks a LOT colder, was the light different, or just the film? You didn't say what the second film was... or the third, for that matter. I'd guess Ektar for the second, only 'cos I think of it a a colder film (but I don't think I've ever tried it). I much prefer the first shot to the second; not just the light but seeing the boat in context. OTOH I do like the last, where the context really has to be inferred.

Thanks Chris, The second and third were both Velvia 50,but,the second shot was taken when the light level had fallen considerably,not so with the third. The third is my favourite as well.

Not being a great shooter in B&W,I have to say that these are very good indeed and fact you developed them yourself is even more impressive. The contrast is for me the best part of this set it is so much better than most B&W shot we see,I guess that the light has something to do with that.

Please number your shots in future,but,easy now as for me the first,#1,number one and anything else is just a brilliant.I love you on my holiday shot,I bet when they got home it was not the same. I now just hope that you did not set the camera up on timer and rush in. :)

Last edited:
That's probably it, yes. You manage to retain a lot of contrast, though, when it can be easy (IME) to lose it when shooting towards the sun.

Yeah, I think that film choice is largely the important bit there; you certainly need something with good dynamic range, which many B&W and colour negative films have, fortunately.

Not being a great shooter in B&W,I have to say that these are very good indeed and fact you developed them yourself is even more impressive. The contrast is for me the best part of this set it is so much better than most B&W shot we see,I guess that the light has something to do with that.

Please number your shots in future,but,easy now as for me the first,#1,number one and anything else is just a brilliant.I love you on my holiday shot,I bet when they got home it was not the same. I now just hope that you did not set the camera up on timer and rush in. :)

Thanks, Richard. I would say it's quite likely that the presence of the very high Tenerife sun for these photos helped significantly; I think that number one, for instance, would basically be impossible in Scotland given that the sun is never directly overhead to cast such a shadow on folks sitting below.

I believe I'm going to find it more difficult to achieve the same sort of contrast in cloudy Scotland, but I guess I'll see what happens over the next few months as I experiment more with B&W.

Might as well pop this one up now, my failed entry for March POTY (file size to big...:() Nikon FG, 24-85mm f2.8-4 on Fuji Acros 100, Runcorn Bridge

Andy

Back