Show us yer film shots then!

Right or not the colour look good. Personally I think it needs a fraction more dof I'm finding the oof centre of the flower a little distracting.

Thanks Steve, you are right about the dof but I'm still not quite used to how wafer thin it can be on LF, this was at f8 and I should have used f16.

Another one on large format, Kodak Ektar 100 through an MPP Mk vii. I'm not convinced about the colours in this being correct so if anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful, I find being colour-blind something of a problem sometimes....:banghead:

Gerbera by Andy, on Flickr

Thats lovely Andy. I love the colours personally.
Right or not the colour look good...

We often worry about getting colours accurate, but it seems to me, for the sort of stuff we mostly shoot here, it's not whether they are accurate but whether they work. I agree with Bruce and Steven, they do (at least on the flower; the blue tinge on the left hand stalk and leaf I find a bit odd; green is one of those "memory colours" isn't it?).

Another one on large format, Kodak Ektar 100 through an MPP Mk vii. I'm not convinced about the colours in this being correct so if anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful, I find being colour-blind something of a problem sometimes....:banghead:

Sometimes I think it's tough to colour balance your own images simply because there is no 'correct' setting. I think the best you can do is try and make the image match what you remember, then alter it away from that point for artistic reasons if you want. Having said that, the colours look superb to me.

Finally got a scanner.... (though it seems odd after ditching digital lol). These are Tri-x pushed to 1600 in D-76.
Struggling with my Enlarger at the moment but getting there S l o w l y.
The one of the elderly lady (my grandmother) had some kinks in the neg :( Though after a little reading, I think I'm having problems as the Paterson reels weren't dry.

View attachment 49198
View attachment 49199
View attachment 49200

Really excellent portraits Bruce.
Regarding the kinks in the film: I always keep a hairdryer on hand if I'm re-using reels without drying them overnight to make absolutely sure they're dry. Loading dry ones is enough of a pain. Also, when I process C41 I've started taking the film out of the reels and using a separate dish for the last stabiliser step, as I read somewhere it can gunk up plastic reels and make it hard to thread the film. I realise you are running B&W, but I wonder if wetting agent or any of the B&W chemicals can have the same effect? May be worth giving them a good clean, especially if they're second hand.

Thanks Steve, you are right about the dof but I'm still not quite used to how wafer thin it can be on LF, this was at f8 and I should have used f16.

Andy. With these set up kind of shots. Flood it with light to focus, stop down and check the depth of field. The beauty of LF is seeing the result before you make the photo. Adjust lighting. Work out the time, click..
Sorry, don't mean to sound like I know anything. Obviously I don't...

I actually rather like the shallow depth of field, but I think the image looks a bit magenta-ish to my eyes with a hint of blue. You have the 'edit my images' box ticked, so I quickly boosted the green a bit and added a hair of yellow to get the image below. The flower stem looks a bit greener now, which I think makes it look more natural, but natural is not always what we want. It all depends on what you're looking for. To be fair, I have a heck of time balancing the colours of Ektar.

If you're not happy with my editing your photo, let me know and I'll remove this.

22506135251_93bda7507d_o.jpg

Last edited:
Spot on RJ. It was the stalk I was more concerned about, it just didn't look right.

@trevorbray . Thanks for that Greg, I hadn't thought about it that way and didn't stop down first, ill have another go soon.

Stupid predictive text. Sorry Bill. :D

Really excellent portraits Bruce.
Regarding the kinks in the film: I always keep a hairdryer on hand if I'm re-using reels without drying them overnight to make absolutely sure they're dry. Loading dry ones is enough of a pain. Also, when I process C41 I've started taking the film out of the reels and using a separate dish for the last stabiliser step, as I read somewhere it can gunk up plastic reels and make it hard to thread the film. I realise you are running B&W, but I wonder if wetting agent or any of the B&W chemicals can have the same effect? May be worth giving them a good clean, especially if they're second hand.
Thanks @FujiLove , much appreciated. I just read that wetting agent may not help! To be honest, I've only ever rinsed in water, so not the nest job. Will dig her hairdryer out :)

Finally got a scanner.... (though it seems odd after ditching digital lol). These are Tri-x pushed to 1600 in D-76.
Struggling with my Enlarger at the moment but getting there S l o w l y.
The one of the elderly lady (my grandmother) had some kinks in the neg :( Though after a little reading, I think I'm having problems as the Paterson reels weren't dry.

View attachment 49198
View attachment 49199
View attachment 49200

Two wonderful portraits,I love the first for it,s lighting and pose,is that you Bruce? The second photograph of your Grandmother is just beautiful and full of life,s experiences a photograph that you will always cherish. Great work in B&W. Congratulations.

Two wonderful portraits,I love the first for it,s lighting and pose,is that you Bruce? The second photograph of your Grandmother is just beautiful and full of life,s experiences a photograph that you will always cherish. Great work in B&W. Congratulations.

Thanks Richard! Much appreciated. No, thats a very good friend who I've managed to get back into his own photography :) Amusingly thats not posed, he was genuinely contemplating a conversation we were having about the Zone system. Blind leading the blind but it started to make sense.

Thanks for the kind words!

Landscape/water-scape. Hasselblad X PAN 45mm lens and Portra 160VC. Click and enlarge for full image. #2

I'm very partial to pasteis. Did you visit the Pasteleira de Belem?

We had hoped to visit Pasteleira de Belém, but the wait was extraordinary, so we decided to partake in other activities rather than queue for 1–2 hours. Judging by the numbers, we must have been the only tourists in the area who did not visit.

'Red Oktober 2015 ' when people get out with their 'Glorious Soviet Cameras' -- I just made it today October 31st !! I used my 'Glorious Soviet ZENITH E' but not having any 'SMENA' Russian film I loaded with the last short length of Western Capitalist FP4+ and processed in my Home-made Microphen Formula 1+1 for 10 mins @ 20oC
Witch !! Russian 58mm f2 Helios-44-2 lens
Red Oktober 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Gouls !! Russian Mc 85mm f2 Jupiter-9 at f2.8
Red Oktober 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
No Customers -- Russian 58mm f2 Helios-44-2 at f2.8
Red Oktober 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Fuji GSW690 II Provia 100f. Click photo and enlarge to see full image.

Very good set of B&W there Andy.

I was surprised to find that I can actually now open any file in camera RAW... who knew? Anyway, I thought I'd do a little processing on some shots that I had previously dismissed, for whatever reason and sometimes with no reason at all, I'm like that... crazy. :naughty:

This was taken last year with a Fuji GW 690 mkiii on Kodak Ektar I think, may have been Portra actually.

Loch-Shiel by Andy, on Flickr

That last one is interesting, looks a bit watercolour, actually!

That last one is interesting, looks a bit watercolour, actually!

Thanks Chris, that was kind of the look I wanted. And the same with this one, Ben Nevis from Neptune's Staircase, Fuji GW690 mk iii on Kodak Portra 160.
Ben-Nevis by Andy, on Flickr

I've also discovered that a 16x9 crop seems to work best for me in landscape shooting.

Last edited:
Hiya all,

I've posted a set of images taken in Seville a few weeks ago, over in the 'Photos from film' section HERE

Taken with a Leica M6 with Leica Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8 and Summarit 35mm f/2.5 lenses. Portra 400 ISO film - some pushed, some not.

Vignettes etc added in PP, not by the lenses.

Some of them are shown below.

Cheers,
Shane :)

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

026.jpg

030.jpg

Last edited:
A couple from Scotland in September. Rolleiflex Automat.

Kodak Ektar 100. This has come out completely different to how I expected it, especially as it was handheld at about 1/16th.
Pattack-Falls3 by Andy, on Flickr

Portra 400. The largest inland beach in Europe on Loch Laggan.
123807 by Andy, on Flickr

A couple from Scotland in September. Rolleiflex Automat.

Kodak Ektar 100. This has come out completely different to how I expected it, especially as it was handheld at about 1/16th.
k-Falls3 by Andy, on Flickr

Portra 400. The largest inland beach in Europe on Loch Laggan.
23807 by Andy, on Flickr

That Ektar has come out with completely wild colours Andy... maybe I should get some... ;) OTOH the Portra shot looks very sensible and well mannered... :)

I can't decide whether this shot looks better off centre or cropped to the middle. I'm torn 50/50, what do you guys think? Also, all hail the power of Natura 1600 for actually giving me a reasonable exposure time at the crazy F numbers on the Xpan!

Here is the original at full frame width:

castlehill by Jamtea573, on Flickr

and here we are with a slight crop from the right and bottom to give it the same aspect ratio(ish) but a dead centre crop:

castlehillcentrecropjpg by Jamtea573, on Flickr

The location is the Castle Hill monument in Huddersfield at about 10pm, so the exposure time worked out at roughly 30secs at f/9.5 (equiv with centre filter on the 30mm) on the Fuji Natura 1600. I was pretty impressed with how well the low light and exposure times were handled by this film, and I'll definitely be getting some more as soon as I can lay my hands on some!

Edit: For extra kicks, I just guessed the exposure on this one, it was a minute at most though, maybe less. I used the light on my phone to add some additional illumination to the darkside of the tower. There's a tonne of grain in there, but I kinda like it as it really just gives some flavour of the film. I don't see how I could have achieved this shot with another film as the stars would definitely have moved too much to have as individual points.

Castle Hill closeup by Jamtea573, on Flickr

I prefer the composition of the broader shots, but there is something nice about how this came out overall :)

Last edited:
Personally I prefer the first; the brighter areas to the right seem to "weigh" more than the darker to the left anyway, so the centre crop doesn't look central. Lovely shots, anyway! Never heard of that film...

There's not much in it, but probably the first one for me too. You have captured some lovely colours on that close-up. Do you know what the streaks of light are on the right hand side? Are they part of the sky or maybe street lights?

I think that the streaks on the side might be caught from where I was lighting the side of the monument and may have caught some odd internal reflection.

Personally I prefer the first; the brighter areas to the right seem to "weigh" more than the darker to the left anyway, so the centre crop doesn't look central. Lovely shots, anyway! Never heard of that film...

Thanks Chris, I'm leaning towards that one too. Also I should have clarified about the film. It's Fujifilm Natura 1600, which I believe is a strictly Japanese only market film. I picked up a bunch of rolls when I was there last.

Andy, It is amazing how you always keep posting old photographs from kit that you have sold and everyone just likes them.

Told you before do not sell and then you will not buy.

Great photo,s in the post above, I would be very proud of those,if I could even get that high standard.

I was surprised to find that I can actually now open any file in camera RAW... who knew? Anyway, I thought I'd do a little processing on some shots that I had previously dismissed, for whatever reason and sometimes with no reason at all, I'm like that... crazy. :naughty:

Andy, I was reminded of this post this morning. I was looking through my NetNewsWire feed and came across a post by Alex Burke. I spotted a post I'd bookmarked a couple of years ago on his approach to Scanning and Editing Colour Negative Film, where he tells how he uses (or at least, then used) Epson Scan and Adobe Camera Raw. He's not claiming it's a panacea, just telling how he does it. Since some of his parameters seem similar to yours, I thought you might be interested to have a look.

Andy, It is amazing how you always keep posting old photographs from kit that you have sold and everyone just likes them.

Told you before do not sell and then you will not buy.

Great photo,s in the post above, I would be very proud of those,if I could even get that high standard.

Thank you Richard, you are of course correct, but I have had a lot of fun along the way.:D

Andy, I was reminded of this post this morning. I was looking through my NetNewsWire feed and came across a post by Alex Burke. I spotted a post I'd bookmarked a couple of years ago on his approach to Scanning and Editing Colour Negative Film, where he tells how he uses (or at least, then used) Epson Scan and Adobe Camera Raw. He's not claiming it's a panacea, just telling how he does it. Since some of his parameters seem similar to yours, I thought you might be interested to have a look.

Thanks Chris, very interesting.

Back