Show us yer film shots then!

I recently received a large batch of outdated darkroom paper which @VirtualAdept made available in the freebies section. Today I made my first ever lith prints using Orwo fibre paper (in the unusual size of 7.5" * 9.5 inches) from that batch. Here's two of them drying out on a plastic shelf rescued from my old fridge.

lith prints.jpg

Olympus OM1 and Fuji Acros developed in Adox HR-DEV. Prints developed in Moersch Easy Lith.

Every so often I get a negative that won't scan / invert well - the colours come out odd, despite using the same settings as all the other frames from the same roll. This was one of them. I've corrected it to an extent, but it still looks much more vivid and contrasty than the other images, also with a vignette for some unknown reason. :thinking:

Nikon F80
Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 D
Kodak Portra 160 (Lab developed. Home scanned and converted with Negative Lab Pro)

North beach by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Every so often I get a negative that won't scan / invert well - the colours come out odd, despite using the same settings as all the other frames from the same roll. This was one of them. I've corrected it to an extent, but it still looks much more vivid and contrasty than the other images, also with a vignette for some unknown reason. :thinking:

Nikon F80
Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 D
Kodak Portra 160 (Lab developed. Home scanned and converted with Negative Lab Pro)

North beach by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr
I like that look, it kind of reminds me of Fuji's "Classic Chrome" which I use for my digital profile on landscapes. (y)

I recently received a large batch of outdated darkroom paper which @VirtualAdept made available in the freebies section. Today I made my first ever lith prints using Orwo fibre paper (in the unusual size of 7.5" * 9.5 inches) from that batch. Here's two of them drying out on a plastic shelf rescued from my old fridge.

View attachment 369430

Olympus OM1 and Fuji Acros developed in Adox HR-DEV. Prints developed in Moersch Easy Lith.

Seeing this giving results has made me unreasonably happy :D

It usually tends to be images that are similar, often with a big expanse of sky. But not every image that looks like this, just some of them. It's frustrating.
One of my failures was a shot similar to yours and was a 6X4 print, and thought I'll scan the neg and post here, but I couldn't match the print and gave up. Luckily it's only a few problems and could be in one particular shot (on another film) the out of date colour film, I was using, didn't like it and protested o_O

One of 8 frames from a test roll of Fomapan 200 through my new-to-me Ensign 16-20 (model 1 with Rosstar lens).
The only frame that I liked, all others have poor definition/focus (not sure how one frame can be quite nice yet all others indicate a poor lens....unless it's the user!).
In a few of the frames, I get the impression that the focus is off in the centre of the frame and improves away from the centre.

img008aSm.jpg

Last edited:
One of 8 frames from a test roll of Fomapan 200 through my new-to-me Ensign 16-20 (model 1 with Rosstar lens).
The only frame that I liked, all others have poor definition/focus (not sure how one frame can be quite nice yet all others indicate a poor lens....unless it's the user!).
I have a 16-20 and an 8-20 and they do take a bit of getting used to as the shutter release isn't quite like more modern cameras. I was advised by @Andysnap to try a short cable release to trip the shutter, and that definitely made an improvement. The other mistake I had made was to think the focus distance was in metres, when it's actually in feet. :asshat:

Nikon F801S
AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Kodak Colorplus 200

qX1m5jB.jpg

The first few from my first ever 110 adventures , Halina consumer camera Lomography Tiger 200ASA film pushed two stops to compensate for poor light and lack of camera settings

Pit head Wheel to commemorate the Miners of both Highley and Alverley Coal mines in Shropshire
A.JPG

This train sits in Highley Station and occasionally will do a bit of shunting

B.JPG

Highleys original School , now the Parish Hall used for all sorts

C.JPG

Last edited:
The first few from my first ever 110 adventures , Halina consumer camera Lomography Tiger 200ASA film pushed two stops to compensate for poor light and lack of camera settings

Pit head Wheel to commemorate the Miners of both Highley and Alverley Coal mines in Shropshire
View attachment 369883

This train sits in Highley Station and occasionally will do a bit of shunting

View attachment 369882

Highleys original School , now the Parish Hall used for all sorts

View attachment 369885
I'm surprised you got a decent result from the Halina 110 camera, especially with pushed film. I tried scanning some of my old 110 shots from back in the day and give up because they were so bad.

Supposedly from what I read a lot of the labs weren't using the right equipment in the first place and were treating 110 as 135 in order to cut corners so not getting the best results. Are you scanning photos or Negs ? I take no glory for the good results as Photo Hippo did my processing and scanning !

A few more 110 shots

Bedruthan Steps Cornwall, Unfortunately due to a rock fall I couldn't get down to beach level.

d.JPG

f.JPG

Cottages in Smoke Alley Highley Shropshire, believed originally to be Quarryman Cottages

e.JPG

Another of Bedruthan Steps Cornwall.

f.JPG

Last edited:
Supposedly from what I read a lot of the labs weren't using the right equipment in the first place and were treating 110 as 135 in order to cut corners so not getting the best results. Are you scanning photos or Negs ? I take no glory for the good results as Photo Hippo did my processing and scanning !
I managed to fit the negatives into a holder and scanned them with the Canoscan 8800F. I must say that the Canoscan may not be perfectly in focus because some of my 35mm scans were looking quite unsharp - that's why I eventually bought the Plustek.

It's a shame 110 film isn't half the price of 135 as well as half the size ! More 110 adventures.

Robin Hoods Bay North Yorkshire, As can be seen it's a little soft at any distance but in Closer up you can see it works quite well. Proof to come
View attachment 369919
You can see Kodak's thinking when they came up with this format: A small pocket camera requiring no thought except composition that produces acceptable shots for 6"x4" prints which were current in the 70s and early 80s. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

You can see Kodak's thinking when they came up with this format: A small pocket camera requiring no thought except composition that produces acceptable shots for 6"x4" prints which were current in the 70s and early 80s. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....
..and hands up who bought a disc camera :rolleyes:

Back