Show us yer film shots then!

Yes, I'm beginning to notice that I quite often repeat the shots I've previously taken when walking the dogs in the hills behind the village.
hmm, happens a lot to me but its usually a scene I shot 10 years ago and forgot
which just goes to prove that I'm no better at picking a picture today than I was in 2010...:mad:

It was a relief to find that my Contax G2 is still working after 23 years in storage; just needed a new battery and some cleaning of the electrical contacts between lens and body. The G2 was very much a point and shoot camera, albeit quite a sophisticated one in its day, but it now feels rather at odds with my reasons for returning to film. I think my ageing Nikkormat, which the Contax was originally bought to replace, will see rather more use. The photo is of Berwick Parish Church.23AE3A8A-3D5E-4395-BD82-206E1FA1A1D8.jpeg

It was a relief to find that my Contax G2 is still working after 23 years in storage; just needed a new battery and some cleaning of the electrical contacts between lens and body. The G2 was very much a point and shoot camera, albeit quite a sophisticated one in its day, but it now feels rather at odds with my reasons for returning to film. I think my ageing Nikkormat, which the Contax was originally bought to replace, will see rather more use. The photo is of Berwick Parish Church.View attachment 381992
That's a cracking black and white subject.

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now! The develop before date was May 1968! o_O Actually, based on this, Ilford rocks!(y)

Moving away from my normal 35mm pics and the occasional MF image I've gone to 10 x 14…

D4626012-1291-4A9C-9040-1CB5548EF16F.jpeg

10 mm x 14 mm that is - sorry Asha!

Primrose
Mamiya 16 Automatic with 25mm f2.8 Mamiya-Sekor lens
Ilford Pan F Cine Film metered at ASA 10
Caffenol C-L semi-stand development for 70mins at 20°C

The camera was my Dad's, but was never used within my memory so this is the first film through it in over 57 years, if not longer. I purchased some bits and pieces off Ebay a year or so ago and the seller included a part used roll of Pan F cine film. Fortunately the Mamiya still had an empty cassette so I plucked up my courage and using some of the Pan F I managed to load the cassette in a changing bag. The tape securing the lid of the film canister was pretty sticky so I was expecting to mark the film with sticky fingerprints as I loaded it but just looked on the whole exercise as a proof in concept. Now I'm comfortable with the fit of the canister lid I've cleaned the goo off with isoprop so the next attempt should be cleaner.

The cassette had a metal spring clip that went over the take up spool once the film was wrapped around the spool to hold the film but I found, after 3 attempts to shoot the roll (20 exposures) that the clip and the film were slipping on the take up spool so despite turning the film advance wheel the film didn't move. Sellotape cured that and I finally, on the fourth attempt, managed to shoot the full length of the film. All this carry on may explain the scratches on the film, but given how long the empty cassette has been sitting around, there may well be grit in the felt seals on the cassette., and possibly the film may be pre-scratched!

Looking at the shots I got, firstly, I've been very impressed as to how the Pan F has performed given the 'develop before' date of May 1968. I couldn't see an ASA rating on the canister but the web suggested Pan F cine was ASA 50 and in difference to its age I metered it at ASA 10, the slowest setting on the Mamiya and decided to use semi-stand rather than stand development to push it a bit.

Secondly, the Mamiya lens is pretty sharp, certainly once stopped down from 2.8, the jury is out on the wide-open performance but I suspect any unsharpness is more likely to be down to operator error.

Thirdly, I need to sort out how much to correct for parallax for close subjects - the rangefinder brigade will no doubt laugh at me but I'm used to SLRs and what you see is what you get.

Finally, I need to take a lot more care with focusing, despite using a Watameter rangefinder to avoid judging differences, but as this was the fourth attempt to shoot the roll the novelty factor was wearing off so I was probably a bit slap-dash; in any case I wasn't expecting much from the film due to its age.

But all in all, I'm pretty pleased with my first efforts with the Mamiya.

Compost!

BDF37734-66B7-4231-A0D3-7BA1063F95E1.jpeg

I need to get to grips with the viewfinder and parallax :ROFLMAO:

Also need to find and remove the hair that seems to be hanging around the film plane. :thinking:

Those of a nervous disposition should look away now! The develop before date was May 1968! o_O Actually, based on this, Ilford rocks!(y)

Moving away from my normal 35mm pics and the occasional MF image I've gone to 10 x 14…

View attachment 382475

10 mm x 14 mm that is - sorry Asha!

Primrose

The camera was my Dad's, but was never used within my memory so this is the first film through it in over 57 years, if not longer. I purchased some bits and pieces off Ebay a year or so ago and the seller included a part used roll of Pan F cine film. Fortunately the Mamiya still had an empty cassette so I plucked up my courage and using some of the Pan F I managed to load the cassette in a changing bag. The tape securing the lid of the film canister was pretty sticky so I was expecting to mark the film with sticky fingerprints as I loaded it but just looked on the whole exercise as a proof in concept. Now I'm comfortable with the fit of the canister lid I've cleaned the goo off with isoprop so the next attempt should be cleaner.

The cassette had a metal spring clip that went over the take up spool once the film was wrapped around the spool to hold the film but I found, after 3 attempts to shoot the roll (20 exposures) that the clip and the film were slipping on the take up spool so despite turning the film advance wheel the film didn't move. Sellotape cured that and I finally, on the fourth attempt, managed to shoot the full length of the film. All this carry on may explain the scratches on the film, but given how long the empty cassette has been sitting around, there may well be grit in the felt seals on the cassette., and possibly the film may be pre-scratched!

Looking at the shots I got, firstly, I've been very impressed as to how the Pan F has performed given the 'develop before' date of May 1968. I couldn't see an ASA rating on the canister but the web suggested Pan F cine was ASA 50 and in difference to its age I metered it at ASA 10, the slowest setting on the Mamiya and decided to use semi-stand rather than stand development to push it a bit.

Secondly, the Mamiya lens is pretty sharp, certainly once stopped down from 2.8, the jury is out on the wide-open performance but I suspect any unsharpness is more likely to be down to operator error.

Thirdly, I need to sort out how much to correct for parallax for close subjects - the rangefinder brigade will no doubt laugh at me but I'm used to SLRs and what you see is what you get.

Finally, I need to take a lot more care with focusing, despite using a Watameter rangefinder to avoid judging differences, but as this was the fourth attempt to shoot the roll the novelty factor was wearing off so I was probably a bit slap-dash; in any case I wasn't expecting much from the film due to its age.

But all in all, I'm pretty pleased with my first efforts with the Mamiya.

Great stuff, which Mamiya 16 is it? (Edit: you clearly say the Automatic :) ). I've got a range of Minolta 16's - I fancy the Mamiya 16s but not seen them cheap enough.

If you ever need any in-date film, let me know. I can slit any 35mm film to 16mm (I usually do Kentmere 100 and 400). I've also just bought some 16mm single perf Kodak Double X and Orwo U54. You can have some gratis if you want it.

In addition there is a chap on eBay selling Mamiya 16 3D printed cartridges, no felt traps but just load them in total darkness. I've had his version of Minolta 16 cartridges and tested a range of his prototypes for him. He's asking for folk test his Mamiya 16 version :

My little Minolta 16 thread: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/16mm-frolics.739748/#post-9237257

Last edited:
Thanks, that's very generous of you and I may well take you up on your kind offer.

Now I've got the Ilford tin cleaned up when I next reload the cassette I want to try and get some idea as to how much is left, but it would be nice to try some modern stock. The single perf film is very attractive as I noticed that the camera places the exposed image slightly over the second row of perfs when using the double perf Pan F.

Thanks also for the heads-up on the 3D cassettes on Ebay, I'll have a look. I did buy on Ebay, but have yet to use, a Mamiya 16EE but it came with Minolta cassettes and an adapter. It would be good to have some more Mamiya cassettes though.

Off to read your Minolta 16 thread now. Edited to add: I don't know how I missed your Minolta thread the first time but it's very impressive - that QT looks great!

Last edited:
Castlerigg stone circle.

Minolta XG1n. 50mm f2 AGFA Vista 200. I bought this camera new in roughly 1982 for the grand sum of £99 from a local camera shop. It has spent 25 years up the loft in a camera bag. It’s only in the last few years that it’s made it downstairs to the camera bags. I’ve ran 3-4 films through it in the last couple of years and apart from changing the battery, it’s worked faultlessly. View: https://flic.kr/p/2okcX7L

Castlerigg stone circle.

Minolta XG1n. 50mm f2 AGFA Vista 200. I bought this camera new in roughly 1982 for the grand sum of £99 from a local camera shop. It has spent 25 years up the loft in a camera bag. It’s only in the last few years that it’s made it downstairs to the camera bags. I’ve ran 3-4 films through it in the last couple of years and apart from changing the battery, it’s worked faultlessly. View: https://flic.kr/p/2okcX7L

Can't argue with that.

The proving stages for Project Bulk Load continue.

Yesterday I developed the roll of Kodak Vision 3 250D that I shot last weekend and managed to cope with the remjet removal to my satisfaction. I scanned the film this morning and noticed one or two of the previews had a white spot which may have been the remains of remjet but the Digital ICE on the Nikon scanner got rid of these on the scans.

There is a strong colour cast on the scans, which is probably down to the aged developer used which was well past its prime (I didn't want open and mix up a fresh kit if the remjet was going to give me problems as I wouldn’t be shooting anyother colour film) but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I didn’t have the temperature quite spot on. Cross-processing what is an ECN2 film in C41 may not have helped although from what I've seen elsewhere my money is on tired and aging developer (I know the feeling!)

The first shot on the roll is below, the first image being as scanned by the Nikon CoolScan IV and the second as rescanned using the ROC (Recovery of Colour) setting in the Nikon software; better but the greens are not right.

D1C543E3-2B9F-42EE-BE79-64D68BD159A9.jpeg

206F0165-5630-4768-947C-EF1F8FBCDC47.jpeg
Cottage in Fairlie - Kodak Vision 3 250D - Zuiko 35mm f2.0 / Olympus OM4

The film likes sun as the picture below is as scanned with no ROC (it was overcast for the previous shots)

71A821BC-20CA-4628-838B-C15750F770A5.jpeg
Ferry Row, Fairlie - Kodak Vision 3 250D - Zuiko 35mm f2.0 / Olympus OM4

As I'm happy I can cope with remjet, next stage is to get a bulk loader and some film, reusable cassettes have already been ordered.

58QSaLG.jpg

xwX0vx4.jpg

lYI2jLU.jpg

HP5 + Leica M3 + 50mm Summilux ASPH​

Back