Show us yer "Hooley'd" film shots then!

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
A thread devoted to Hooley'd film shots. In light of the 101 ways to ruin a roll of film thread, the term "Hooley'd" refers to frames that have been borked through one photographic mistake or another. All in good spirit of course :D as in my opinion, Rob is actually one of the better film photographers out there!

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=341025&page=9

Perhaps a Hooley rating? Maybe out of 10? 10 being Completely Hooley'd, 1 being just a hint of Hooley. - In the words of Rob himself - The Hooleyometer! Brilliant :D

So let's see what you got!

Last edited:
Well I had many but throw the negs away or delete scanned JPGs.........

Here we go

1) This is what happens when you underexpose and overgrad Velvia 50 by about 4 stops. A solid 7 on the Hooleyometer

2) Just this... A fairly hefty 8 on the Hooleyometer

3) Front elements need to be kept dry too... An easy 3 on the Hooleyometer

4) A bog standard metering cockup, might not have been too bad if it wasn't on Velvia. A 5 out of 10

5) Film touching in dev. A nasty 6 out of 10

A pretty much perfect display of the different Hooleyisms available, I just hope one day to become as proficient as the master himself :D

A pretty much perfect display of the different Hooleyisms available, I just hope one day to become as proficient as the master himself :D

Put a few up and let me judge them (y)

:nuts:

All in good spirit of course :D as in my opinion, Rob is actually one of the better film photographers out there!

Despite all the **** taking and the fact that it pains me to praise a northerner, I would have to agree.

Perhaps a Hooley rating? Maybe out of 10? 10 being Completely Hooley'd, 1 being just a hint of Hooley. - In the words of Rob himself - The Hooleyometer! Brilliant :D

My own contribution, Nagaoka 4x5, Velvia, although I didn't process this myself I still think it's worth at least an 8, and I still have no idea what the problem was.

Nagoaka Velvia-2
by Raglansurf, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, that has to be a first.... I can honestly say I've never seen that sort of result before!

I'll get some of my frames up tomorrow provided im not in work until 8:30pm again.

Can we also have a Hooley'd phrases thread? :D

See Paul, unlike you, Woodsy has the propensity to be nice to people from time to time ;)

See Paul, unlike you, Woodsy has the propensity to be nice to people from time to time ;)

That is literally the most hypocritical thing I've ever heard you say, and I've known you for a good few years now! :LOL:

It's a shame this isn't a thread of Hooley'd digital images as there are thousands I could post. I'm pretty sure I'll be creating my fair share of Hooley'd masterpieces when I start messing things up with the RB!

Last edited:
That is literally the most hypocritical thing I've ever heard you say, and I've known you for a good few years now! :LOL:

It's a shame this isn't a thread of Hooley'd digital images as there are thousands I could post. I'm pretty sure I'll be creating my fair share of Hooley'd masterpieces when I start messing things up with the RB!

:LOL: :LOL:

Two from me:

Very quickly learned that you cannot shoot into the sun with Velvia:

img029.jpg

And this is what happens when you try to shot though a window, with the hyperfocal method

april4-2.jpg

@ Woodsy - Can we name it the Bristol Hooley Chart?

@ Hooley - Your overgradedededed Velvia shot displays exactly what I am afraid of discovering when I get my film back from Wales (I do like your shots on Flickr)

Last edited:
This might qualify.....how not to take a shot and carp print. Because of scratches my Father has spaghetti hanging from his nose and my Mother has a tail.

I'd say the Hooleyometer has only swung as far as a 2.5-3 on this one. Far from a monumental rogering!

I'd have to agree, far too subtle to be a proper Hooley.

thinking about it, my worst would have to be the third roll from the homeless holga - you know, the one where I used munged chemicals, and basically didn't get a sodding thing apart from a entire roll of plain orange/brown 120 and lost half a dozen peoples work :bang::bang::bang:

No pictures to show though, because, well - there were no pictures...

thinking about it, my worst would have to be the third roll from the homeless holga - you know, the one where I used munged chemicals, and basically didn't get a sodding thing apart from a entire roll of plain orange/brown 120 and lost half a dozen peoples work :bang::bang::bang:

No pictures to show though, because, well - there were no pictures...

That was proper Hooley'd.

Oh my I have so many examples I can add to this thread! Will go on the scrounge round the negative file later!

ive seen worse than these in the British Journal of Photography each month, youre all arteests really. Just grow a goatee to stroke knowledgably and write up some arty fluff to go with them and you'l be sorted :D

I'm going to have a very special honour soon, I have custody of the infamous Mr Hooley's RB67 for a bit over summer which means I get to produce my very own Hooley'd film shots on the very camera Hooley produces his own Hooley'd film shots on. Does that count as a double Hooley? :LOL:

Interesting. Are you building a new fence, need something to hammer the posts in with? In fact, having seen it again and hefted it yesterday, I suspect you could just sit it on top of the fence post and they would sink in straight away!

Interesting. Are you building a new fence, need something to hammer the posts in with? In fact, having seen it again and hefted it yesterday, I suspect you could just sit it on top of the fence post and they would sink in straight away!

I'm actually after a new computer desk, I reckon my 27 inch iMac should fit on it quite nicely and still leave room for my pint glass!

cannot for the life of me work out what happened here

The negative wasnt torn, thats how it looks on the strip!

Was it the first or last shot?

in the middle of scanning them in so will check the index numbers in a minute, pretty sure that would of been the first though. I did St Pauls then walked down to the BoE It was 35mm rather than MF.

Ah i know, it was index "00" on the film strip so i didnt wind the film on enough to start with. Damn my penny pinching! At least i know that emulsion doesnt go all the way to the end on 35mm now.

Last edited:
I think the emulsion does go all the way, but the LHS of that frame would have been fully exposed when you were loading the film. It should be black on the negative, white on the inverted scan...

I think the emulsion does go all the way, but the LHS of that frame would have been fully exposed when you were loading the film. It should be black on the negative, white on the inverted scan...

QFT (y)

Great, a photo competition I can enter... All I needed to do to turn this from a shocker into merely rubbish was walk to the other side of the well.

bovinebacksides by ken__m, on Flickr

Strangely, I have a lot of photos of cows.

Back