Last edited:
Love the Bees world and Toon planets :clap:

Here's a couple of mine:

Bradgate Park War Memorial, Leicestershire

3335252387_1d0cae3274.jpg

Rockingham Castle Rose Garden

3042810855_54c74169fa.jpg

Larger views in my flickr.

I haven't tried this method yet but here's my version of a mini planet from a while back:

Small World

Full details are on the flickr photo page but it's basically a soapy bubble lit from above.

Cheers.

TheBigYin - Not bad, I think it could have done with the tops of the trees in shot though.

ksten - Stunning! :love:

I had read how to do this previously but it basically meant a new tripod as you had to take a straight up and straight down shot as well as the 360 panorama (nadar and nodal, or something like that). No mention of that in the tutorial so maybe I can give it a go.

You only need one straightest landscape Test Bloke, no pan needed ...just square the image in your photo package (make both sides the same length) flip it vertical, and polar coordinate it.

I haven't tried this method yet but here's my version of a mini planet from a while back:

Full details are on the flickr photo page but it's basically a soapy bubble lit from above.

Superb, love it ...clever light. :clap:

Very nice, difficult to choose which angle I'd guess. love the chopper.

first i seen these and must say they are amazing would love to give it a go soon

Ok, after seeing Marcels efforts at using this technique on a Liverpool shot, I thought I would give it a go on a similar london picture.

I followed the same tutorial HERE and as a bit of fun its great. Not sure this is as good as Marcels effort THIS THREAD, but it was fun trying :D

Londontwist.jpg

The tutorial link appears dead, can anyone provide link, I am pulling my hair out with this at teh moment

The tutorial link appears dead, can anyone provide link, I am pulling my hair out with this at teh moment

Shoot a pano
Fix the ends so they're seamless when next to each other
Filter -> Distort -> Polar Co-ordinates (choose "Rectangular to Polar")
Adjust, click ok
Pretty much done. :)

Thanks Yvonne, I just edited my post as it needed straightening, it wasnt a pano shot just a normal shot turned into a square, then Polar Co-ordinates filter

Last edited:
Shoot a pano
Fix the ends so they're seamless when next to each other
Filter -> Distort -> Polar Co-ordinates (choose "Rectangular to Polar")
Adjust, click ok
Pretty much done. :)

Thanks for response ...
"Fix the ends so they're seamless when next to each other"
This is where (I think) I am getting it wrong, any tips how to do this / check this ?

Basically, just duplicate your layer.

Slide one over to the left so that the right hand side of that layer is in the middle of your canvas. Slide the other one over to the right until its left side meets up in the middle.

Make a new layer on top of those two and clone stamp/healing brush/etc. until you don't see a join line in the middle.

Then merge those 3 layers together, and shift it left and right as required to get features in the positions you want in the frame.

Once you've merged those three layers together, if you convert it to a smart object, and THEN do the Polar Co-ordinates filter, you can open up your original source, and adjust the framing of your pano without having to undo a bunch of times and re-apply the filter.

Slide one over to the left so that the right hand side of that layer is in the middle of your canvas. Slide the other one over to the right until its left side meets up in the middle.

Make a new layer on top of those two and clone stamp/healing brush/etc. until you don't see a join line in the middle.

Then merge those 3 layers together, and shift it left and right as required to get features in the positions you want in the frame.

Once you've merged those three layers together, if you convert it to a smart object, and THEN do the Polar Co-ordinates filter, you can open up your original source, and adjust the framing of your pano without having to undo a bunch of times and re-apply the filter.

That just gave me a headache :p

Okay, that sounds good and exactly what I am after but I am afraid you have lost me at "make a new layer" :amstupid:
(Now pushing my luck!) How about a screenshot for each stage, I am sure many people would benefit from this :ty:

That just gave me a headache :p

Doing it is quicker than typing out the instructions for it. ;)

Okay, that sounds good and exactly what I am after but I am afraid you have lost me at "make a new layer" :amstupid:
(Now pushing my luck!) How about a screenshot for each stage, I am sure many people would benefit from this :ty:
If you're in Photoshop, CTRL+Shift+N :)

I know how to do this, but don't happen to have any panos to hand at the moment to produce something, lol.

I'll have to head down to the river in a bit and see what I can do. :)

Edit : Oooh, I'll see what creative commons stuff is on Flickr.

Doing it is quicker than typing out the instructions for it. ;)

If you're in Photoshop, CTRL+Shift+N :)

I know how to do this, but don't happen to have any panos to hand at the moment to produce something, lol.

I'll have to head down to the river in a bit and see what I can do. :)

Edit : Oooh, I'll see what creative commons stuff is on Flickr.

Many thanks, will check back later. Better go do some work for now or I'll be out of a job !

Heh that's fun - just a quick effort - not the ideal photo for it and some dodgy cloning...

4626708006_0065c4fb03_o.jpg

edit:

Think I prefer this stylized version

4626118233_195a32ca5a_o.jpg

Last edited:
In the meantime I am still trying to trim my 360 degree pano manually. Almost there ! I think another issue I have is I never got enough immediate foreground in the shots which is resulting in the middle being pulled in, as pre below ...

4626700210_0ac558b08e.jpg

Think it looks a lot better going the other way, but again not enough sky, hence its ended up looking like crystals. (This is why I was under the impression to take a stright up and straight down shot also but photoshop seems to ignore these, demo I saw was using autodesk stitcher).

Anyway, my best so far, getting there but a long way to go, this is Blackhill viewpoint near Lanark, tripod mounted firmly on top of OS stone to try and keep steady in typical "Scottish breeze" ...

4626701018_9592746f71.jpg

Nice one of the quayside Tom. I like it technically, but I think I'd have wanted to push the midtones up a little more if possible.

Had to have a go at this but only had around 10 minutes to do it - So pretty much straight out of the box, with the distortion polar thingy and not much else I give you Planet Canvey. It's often said that people from Canvey are on a different planet to the rest of you !!

4625956721_a7ba98a5bd.jpg

(Actually it's the Shell Haven plant viewed from Canvey but hey ho.....).

Back