shutter speed for planes

Name
dave
Edit My Images
Yes
i was just looking at some of the excellent shots of RIAT and southport airshow on the forum and though its not something ive ever thought or been interested about shooting before it certainly got me thinking for the future ...i get that for jets a nice fast shutter speed is acceptable but for propped aircraft a slower speed is preferred so you get some prop blur..so i take it im better off using shutter priority and use servo AF...what kind of shutter speeds should i be aiming for that give me a blurred propeller but a sharp plane, does it depend on the speed of the plane

For prop aircraft you want iso100 1/125 shutter and about f12 - f14 and you wont go far wrong_CAF0173.jpg
This was 1/160 as the prop spins faster on the Texan than ordinary aircraft, f number was f16 as it was a very bright day, if its a nice sky with fluffy white clouds go for f12-14

Last edited:
I find 1/125 is usually good for propellor planes while high performance ones can get away with faster sometimes upto 1/500. Iso & aperture depend very much on the available light, f/12 iso 100 would be too small for round here, if the sky is overcast. Good panning will be needed to get the plane sharp.
It doesn't depend on the speed of the plane as much as the speed of the prop. and the degree of blur you want.

1/125s
Flying Fortress - Sally B by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

1/500s
P51 Mustang 2 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Helicopters & autogyros tend to need slower speeds with 1/125 being about the fastest that can work.
1/125s
No hands! by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

1/90s:
Helicopter transport at Silverstone by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

I tend to use shutter priority for propellor aircraft & switch to aperture priority for the jets (with the aperture reasonable wide, DOF is not an issue). You'll probably have quite a few shakey shots so take plenty!

Last edited:
For prop aircraft you want iso100 1/125 shutter and about f12 - f14 and you wont go far wrongView attachment 367084
This was 1/160 as the prop spins faster on the Texan than ordinary aircraft, f number was f16 as it was a very bright day, if its a nice sky with fluffy white clouds go for f12-14

I find 1/125 is usually good for propellor planes while high performance ones can get away with faster sometimes upto 1/500. Iso & aperture depend very much on the available light, f/12 iso 100 would be too small for round here, if the sky is overcast. Good panning will be needed to get the plane sharp.
It doesn't depend on the speed of the plane as much as the speed of the prop. and the degree of blur you want.

1/125s
Flying Fortress - Sally B by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

1/500s
P51 Mustang 2 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Helicopters & autogyros tend to need slower speeds with 1/125 being about the fastest that can work.
1/125s
No hands! by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

1/90s:
Helicopter transport at Silverstone by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

I tend to use shutter priority for propellor aircraft & switch to aperture priority for the jets (with the aperture reasonable wide, DOF is not an issue). You'll probably have quite a few shakey shots so take plenty!
Great stuff.

Like the poster it's not something I'd considered shooting but its good to see such great images.

Thanks for all the replies..thinking about it i dont think ive ever shot anything in shutter priority

Number of blades and spindle speed also have an influence, this C-130 was at 1/80s

ZH883.JPG

At night time I’ve gone as low as 1/50th to get enough light. The slower the shutter the more difficult to achieve a sharp panned image of course.

As people have said ‘low’ is key. If your new to this I’d always recommend getting a ‘safe shot’ first at a higher shutter speed so you come away with something and then practice working your way down to much lower speeds and panning the camera.

Back