SIGGY 150-500

Name
Mervyn
Edit My Images
Yes
What are the opinions on this lens for a D300?:bang:

Yep, if you search the forum for '150-500mm' there is a fair bit on this lens.
Although I want L glass I am still tempted by one of these.

They do seem to be a bit of a Marmite lens as far as reviews go though.

Want to use it for motor bikes and air shows. Thanks for comments(y)

Not the easiest lens to use at airshows - it's a heavy bugger and the AF isn't really fast enough for head on tracking (on a D700). If you lose the 'plane as it's coming towards you, it can struggle to pick it up again before it goes over your head. IMO, the Nikon 70-300 does a better job. Not used it for motorsport yet - it'll still be a heavy bugger but it may cope better with the lower speeds involved.

:bonk:I already have a 70-200 f2.8 with 1.7TC and also a 300f4 with 1.4TC. Maybe you think I would be better off with these - they're both Nikon? Do you think the siggy is not really a sports lens?:bang:

Ive got the 120-400mm had some good results so far , I was going to go for the 500mm but was advised by many inc the shop where i purchased it from that you are paying for the range rather than the quality .
Thats the Canon version by the way .

Do you think the siggy is not really a sports lens?:bang:

Depends. IMO, it's not ideal since it's not particularly fast either to focus or in terms of maximum aperture. If you're not too fussed about isolating subjects from the background and you can get a good lock on the subject, you might be happy with it for some sports. A monopod will help with the weight issue (as would a gimbal head on a tripod).

Back