Sigma 100-300mm, Bought For £46, Advice!

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Need alittle advice. I bought a Sigma 100-300mm lens of Ebay tonight for £46.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150363323137&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I have been with a good bunch of guys over the weekend who let me borrow the 100-400mm and 100-300mm lens which was very good of them seeing i didnt know them!.

Anyways, I got the lens cheap but wonder how good is it. I dunno how long i will keep it, As i am trying to save up for something better but this will have to do till the end of the year.

Luke

They released one in 1997 found here. Could be same lens, but no pictures.

Funny you should say that i cant find it nor have i seen one like that before. He said it was from 2001.

Luke

They released one in 1997 found here. Could be same lens, but no pictures.
It is the same one. It's a Sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 AF DL. You can even buy one new (though not for a Canon mount) from Microglobe here.

It's not a very common lens now, so you won't find huge numbers of reviews of it, but if you Google sigma 100-300mm f/4.5-6.7 you'll find some, such as this.

Thanks StewartR. People seem to rate the lens for its price. I was just wondering what the lens is like compared to the newer Sigma 100-300mm and the Canon 100-300mm lens. Should have the lens tomorrow and will have a play around with, Hopefully it will last me for some months until i can buy a better 100-300 with the stablizer.

Luke

Isn't the newer Sigma 100-300 the constant F/4 EX model?

There won't be a comparison mate, closest lens would be the Sigma 70-300 (Non APO) which I reakon would still spank your 100-300. Thats not to say that you didn't get a good deal, you payed less than £50 for optics so if it manages to AF your doing well! There's not much point comparing it to anything thats available at the moment because a) Sigma have really upped their game in the last 10 years and b) everything now is a lot more expensive.

Put it on your camera and go out and use it, if you get shots your happy with then its a good lens, if you don't then it isn't - for what its worth, I reakon F/8 at 300mm will get you some decent results on bright days (y)

Looking at his buying history, isn't it this one??

Back