Sigma 105mm DG Macro Sticking Shutter

Edit My Images
No
Hi,the shutter keeps sticking closed on my lens.
it only happens when it is focused to the macro end ie 1.1 magnification.
so when the barrel is close to fully extended I take a picture then the viewfinder goes dark and looking down the lens the shutter can be seen closed.
it can be freed off by rotating the focus ring so the barrel is now fully in then pressing the depth of field preview button.
only had the lens for 14 months and used no more than 3000 shutter presses.
anyone else experienced this with this lens or any other after a short period of use.
by the way the camera is a Canon 400d and i get the error number 99.
thanks ,paul.

What settings are you using for this? Is it possible that it's just trying to take a very long exposure? If you're using a small aperture and there's not much light?

Chris

Edit: Just saw you're getting the "Err 99" thing, which just means there's something wrong with the camera. Often I think it's the aperture blades sticking? Cleaning the contacts on the lens and body are the usual recommendations, but it might need to go back to canon or sigma. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks for that chris.
tried all kinds of apertures from 2.8 to 22 and beyond.
cleaned contacts.
it seemed to be intermitent at first till I realised that when I focus close in ie at or around minimum focus distance then the shutter would stay closed but the mirror would return back down only the view finder would be very dark due to the small aperture of the shutter.
Paul.

If its the only lens you have thats doing this i would presume its a fault with the lens and all you can do is send it (or phone Sigma) for a repair - see linky.

Back