Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

Aren't these lenses only compatible with the new Sigma TC1401? That would explain the errors.

Updated my firmware earlier then walked out into the back garden to take a pic of the next plane to fly over however, this bird did first. Is it a Sparrowhawk? (100% crop and I'm rubbish with PP).

Attachments

• DSC_5319a.jpg
    DSC_5319a.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 74
Aren't these lenses only compatible with the new Sigma TC1401? That would explain the errors.
no not at all ,i have used mine with a canon 1.4 mk2 and mk3 but they will only a/f on centre point only ,i currently use a kenko 1.4 dgx HD and that a/f's utilising all focus points and modes ,you do need a f8 enabled body though i.e 1D series or 5dmk3 or 7dmk2

Updated my firmware earlier then walked out into the back garden to take a pic of the next plane to fly over however, this bird did first. Is it a Sparrowhawk? (100% crop and I'm rubbish with PP).
Not sure but it's pretty OOF!

yes it most certainly is

It is a big crop and it isn't as bad on my local machine.
I have found that posting images here are softer than the original source.

If you use Photobucket I do find it softens images, which is why I switched to Flickr, much better and pretty minimal compression. But that said, there's definately something not right with your Sparrowhawk picture, still a nice capture though.

Just connect the dock to the internet/lens and start the Sigma application. It will do the rest.

So, where do I download the updated firmware from ?
from sigma imaging website ,but you do need the usb hub to do it ???

as a point of interest i have just tried my kenko 1.4dgx-HD t.c with the lens and its still working fine ,all focus points and modes enabled .

So, where do I download the updated firmware from ?
Just plug it into the dock and it automatically downloads the new firmware (after asking permission), no need to go tot he website. Its all very efficient (unless the update freezes, which mine did on my C variant yesterday!).

Really strange this. The oly computer I have used since having this lens has been my Macbook, but the USB dock application was missing. Now seeing that I set up the custom modes, I was baffled when I pluged the dock in and nothing happened. I've now downloaded the app again and it's now doing the firmware upgrade.

Really strange this. The oly computer I have used since having this lens has been my Macbook, but the USB dock application was missing. Now seeing that I set up the custom modes, I was baffled when I pluged the dock in and nothing happened. I've now downloaded the app again and it's now doing the firmware upgrade.
should have been in your launchpad ??

Nope... Not sure what happened, but it's the only computer I have had since before buying the lens, and I had used the dock before. Anyway, updated now and hopefully I'll give it a blast tomorrow.

Picture taken with the Siggy before the recent lens update. Quite please with this one as most of the other shots I took were rubbish, mainly due to the fact I had previously been taking landscape photo's with mirror lockup, exposure delays, low ISO etc etc and I was in a rush to swap lens so I cocked it all up and didn't change all the settings again. Perhaps I need another camera, one for landscapes and one for big lens!

Attachments

• DSC_5147a.jpg
    DSC_5147a.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 52
i know the feeling well but in reverse ,i found it hard going from wildlife settings to landscape disciplines .two cameras still wouldn't get my brain in gear though

New firmware seems of have made my lens quite a bit faster .... anyone else or is it just in my head lol

New firmware seems of have made my lens quite a bit faster .... anyone else or is it just in my head lol
Certainly does on the C version, it's lighting quick, especially on AF Motor priority, makes me wonder why they made the S version ;)

Certainly does on the C version, it's lighting quick, especially on AF Motor priority, makes me wonder why they made the S version ;)
Lol I have the sport only because I got it for a silly price off someone who bought it for the wrong mount and couldn't get a refund lol..... it is very very quick now nice to see

nope its definitely faster i think there estimate of between 20 to 50% is possibly low ,and as a long term user (1 year +) i can say with certainty its also improved focus accuracy and definition especially over longer distances where normally the image broke down a bit

This may have already been asked but is there a way of utilising more than just the centre auto focus point on a Canon eos 5d mark iii and the 150-600 sport and tc1401 teleconverter as I've tried a few things but only seems to want to use the centre and help is appreciated

Got a bit of a problem with the hood on mine. I seem to have turned the locking screw one too many times and it has popped out leaving me a screw and small black plastic lug (that I presume attaches to it somehow) and now the hood wont stay on the lens.

Got a bit of a problem with the hood on mine. I seem to have turned the locking screw one too many times and it has popped out leaving me a screw and small black plastic lug (that I presume attaches to it somehow) and now the hood wont stay on the lens.
I'm sure that was a common issue early on and they fixed it ? Talk to sigma they may send updated version ? either that or I dreamed that issue and resolution :(

I'm sure that was a common issue early on and they fixed it ? Talk to sigma they may send updated version ? either that or I dreamed that issue and resolution :(

I phoned them just after I posted, I am sending in the hood so they can sort it out.

Must admit I have had issues with a few Sigma lenses one way or another in the past but they have always sorted the problem out straight away, their customer service dept is excellent.

I never take mine off Mike ,I think it's been taken off about three times in total to wipe the front element over .

This may have already been asked but is there a way of utilising more than just the centre auto focus point on a Canon eos 5d mark iii and the 150-600 sport and tc1401 teleconverter as I've tried a few things but only seems to want to use the centre and help is appreciated
All normal 1.4 tc' are designed to be centre point only a/f with canon cameras,HOWEVER there is a way round it ,the latest tc from kenko the 1.4 dgx.HD will give you all focus points active and and all a.f functions ,the I.q is very good to ,I have one I use with my lens and 1D3 so I know it works

All normal 1.4 tc' are designed to be centre point only a/f with canon cameras
This is not correct Jeff - As long as you have a lens f4 or faster than a 1.4x tc will give you access to all focus points - with a f2.8 lens you can get all focus points with a 2x tc. It is nothing whatsoever to do with the design of the tc, It is only when the maximum aperture available exceeded f5.6 that you are restricted to centre point AF with a 1.4x tc.
The only reason why some third party tc's (and bare lenses like the 150-600 f6.3) will still AF beyond f5.6 on some Canon cameras is because they have built-in electronics to fool the Cameras AF system into thinking there is no tc attached. Often EXIF will still show correctly because the electronic 'foolery' only effects the Camera's AF system.

Last edited:
This is not correct Jeff - As long as you have a lens f4 or faster than a 1.4x tc will give you access to all focus points - with a f2.8 lens you can get all focus points with a 2x tc. It is nothing whatsoever to do with the design of the tc, It is only when the maximum aperture available exceeded f5.6 that you are restricted to centre point AF with a 1.4x tc.
The only reason why some third party tc's (and bare lenses like the 150-600 f6.3) will still AF beyond f5.6 on some Canon cameras is because they have built-in electronics to fool the Cameras AF system into thinking there is no tc attached. Often EXIF will still show correctly because the electronic 'foolery' only effects the Camera's AF system.
roy your totally missing the context here ,with the sigmas fitted on a 1D series camera body or the 5D3 which are f8 enabled ,with most 1.4 t.c's they are only able to use centre point focus ,with the new kenko 1.4dgx-HD all focus points are enabled as well as all focus modes including on the 1d4 and 1d3 the ring of fire a/f . surprisingly though it won't work on a 7d2 with the 150-600 fitted .mine was a answer to a specific problem and is totally correct in that context .

roy your totally missing the context here ,with the sigmas fitted on a 1D series camera body or the 5D3 which are f8 enabled ,with most 1.4 t.c's they are only able to use centre point focus ,with the new kenko 1.4dgx-HD all focus points are enabled as well as all focus modes including on the 1d4 and 1d3 the ring of fire a/f . surprisingly though it won't work on a 7d2 with the 150-600 fitted .mine was a answer to a specific problem and is totally correct in that context .
Not missing the point at all - your comment "All normal 1.4 tc' are designed to be centre point only a/f with canon cameras" is absolutely 100% wrong

Not missing the point at all - your comment "All normal 1.4 tc' are designed to be centre point only a/f with canon cameras" is absolutely 100% wrong
Should have been when fitted with the tamron or sigma 150 -600 lenses Roy ,I can see now what you picked up on

Cheers for the help on this one it's the first time I've used a tele converter and not had any experience with them however I don't really want to be coughing up for another teleconverter just for a few a/f point I think I may stick it out

Back