Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Anyone got this lens with a Canon 80D and how are you getting on with it? - I think I'm due an upgrade from my 700D - raising the ISO for my shots to achieve a faster shutter speed - 1/2000th etc. needs to be about ISO 400 and on my 700D its too noisy, even in very good light.... or is there any good noise eliminating software to use along with Lightroom which could make my photos better?

Anyone got this lens with a Canon 80D and how are you getting on with it? - I think I'm due an upgrade from my 700D - raising the ISO for my shots to achieve a faster shutter speed - 1/2000th etc. needs to be about ISO 400 and on my 700D its too noisy, even in very good light.... or is there any good noise eliminating software to use along with Lightroom which could make my photos better?
If you look on the Sigma 150-600 sports thread, black fox uses a Canon 80D with his sport and gets excellent results. As the 2 lenses work more or less the same, I'm sure it would be a big improvement on the 700D, good as that is for the price.

Last edited:
I have the 150-600 C with an 80d. Also on the same thread where you can see a few examples :)

Reactions: smr
well ive just got the 150-600 contempary for my canon 70d just waiting for some decent weather now. hopefully going to swansea airshow this saturday to try it out.i just tried a few random shots around the garden seems ok but image staberlisation dosent seem that good compared to ny 150-500.

well ive just got the 150-600 contempary for my canon 70d just waiting for some decent weather now. hopefully going to swansea airshow this saturday to try it out.i just tried a few random shots around the garden seems ok but image staberlisation dosent seem that good compared to ny 150-500.

It's got better OS than the old 500. Don't forget you don't see the stabilisation through the VF unless you tune it via the dock to dynamic.

ah right thanks for that i should have got the dock while i was there i will pop out next week and get one.

thanks

I have just fine tuned the focus on my lens using

http://d7100.tumblr.com/post/45499149264/dottune-autofocus-fine-tuning-in-under-5-minutes

Making a note of the different results at the sixteen focal length/distances and transferring them to the lens using the dock.
The lens was ok up to approx 12 metres but mediocre at longer distances.Now it is much improved and i am very pleased with the results.My final setting at
600mm/infinity was minus 16.
It does take quite a while to do (16 settings) but well worth it for me.

Last edited:
Going to tune mine properly this weekend in time for RIAT [emoji3]

I have just fine tuned the focus on my lens using

http://d7100.tumblr.com/post/45499149264/dottune-autofocus-fine-tuning-in-under-5-minutes

Making a note of the different results at the sixteen focal length/distances and transferring them to the lens using the dock.
The lens was ok up to approx 12 metres but mediocre at longer distances.Now it is much improved and i am very pleased with the results.My final setting at
600mm/infinity was minus 16.
It does take quite a while to do (16 settings) but well worth it for me.

Woah, I think if I had to - or + as much as 16 I'd be sending it back!

Mines spot on straight out of the box.

Woah, I think if I had to - or + as much as 16 I'd be sending it back!

Mines spot on straight out of the box.
Well Jim you will have to post some shots with your lens at high iso,100% crops 600mm,shot at infinity so that we can see what can be achieved straight out of the box.

Well Jim you will have to post some shots with your lens at high iso,100% crops 600mm,shot at infinity so that we can see what can be achieved straight out of the box.

Why? They look spot on viewing it at a reasonably / realistically blown up size. Pin sharp. But what does using high ISO have to do with testing the lens?

Last edited:
Same here - did the dot tune method yesterday evening as it was quite sunny and spot on every time with no adjustment. Happy days :)

Same here - did the dot tune method yesterday evening as it was quite sunny and spot on every time with no adjustment. Happy days :)

I'd like to check this on mine. What distance to camera did you use at the 600mm end?

Tried the lens with the dog in the garden today, although a small dog he can shift. The lens and camera combo nailed nearly every shot, surprised really, but pleased. Well impressed with this lens for value.

I bought the dock, but mine seems fine straight out of the box like some other users.

Hugo by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

Hugo by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

That's one of the reasons I got it. Plus it helps break up the outline when in a hide.[emoji106]

just noticed on your picture,one of the pieces should fit over the lens foot and cover it right down to the lens mount cap.

Your cover is completely different to mine. You have a transparent window. Over the switches. And extra sections.
This looks like one from Outdoorphotograhy gear, they are different to Wildlife watching supplies covers, better stitching and the windows are really good too.
Could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.

Back