Sigma 17-70mm F2.8......any good?

I've got one on my Canon 400D as a walkabout lens - it's pretty good actually, fairly fast at the wide end and nicely built. The macro abilities are ok but great to have for impromptu close-ups.

Despite your thread title it's not a constant f2.8 max aperture (it's f4.5 at the zoom end) so it's not the fastest in the world if you need to zoom in - fine for general day to day stuff but not so great for low light weddings for example.

The range is perfect for a walkabout - nice and wide on a crop sensor at 17mm but a little more reach than usual with it's 70mm so it's nice and versatile.

I really like mine but will probably be trading it in for something with a constant f2.8 aperture and sacrifice the extra zoom to do it. If you need the reach, it's a great lens, if you don't then maybe look at the faster 17-50ish lenses which have constant aperture.

hmmm thanks for all the replies guys

Does anyone know of a lens which is 2.8 right through and is available in a sony mount?

I too can vouch for the Tamron - image quality and contact 2.8
The negative is that I often find myself wanting a tad more length.

Looking to replace it with the Canon 24-70 or 24-105 sometime in the future.

Sigma do a 24 - 70 f2.8 DG Macro for about the same price, and they do a Sony fit, Warehouse express do a new copy for £400+, But i'm sure you can pick one up cheaper than that.

hmmm thanks for all the replies guys

Does anyone know of a lens which is 2.8 right through and is available in a sony mount?

tamron 28-75, as i have one ;-)

highly recommend it to

for that price is really a good lens.

**** other lens from 17/20mm to 70mm is selled at 250 pounds? no one.

Back