Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 experiences vs 17-50mm 2.8

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Was never entirely happy with my Sigma 30mm 1.4 so have just sold it intending to replace it with the 18-35mm, a few primes in one as they say. But ive been reading that theirs some problems with them focusing accurately consistently.
While 1.8 would be great itd mostly be used on the kids indoors so more times than not theirs only the 1 chance for a shot, was hoping for some real life experience of them so I know whether its a worry or not. Otherwise I`ll be saving some cash and getting the 17-50mm which ive owned before and been happy with, just 1.8 would be a lot more appealing.

It's the best lens I've ever owned!

Can't speak for the Tamron, but I had the Sigma on my 7200 and it was fantastic. Didn't have any issues with the AF, nor the lack IS.

Well think I'm defenitly going to go with the 18-35mm, was just a little worried about the auto focus issues but the seem to of been fixed in later firmware.

Was never entirely happy with my Sigma 30mm 1.4...

I wonder why? I had one and thought it was very good. I read that it suffers field curvature but even at f1.4 I never once found it to be a real world issue for me and in fact the only issue I had was that the focus ring felt a bit... gritty. I tried another and found it exactly the same so I assumed they were all like that. For image equality though I thought it very good.

Shame you didn't like it, I can't really see why anyone wouldn't.

Back