Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 - Now an 18-50mm f2.8!!

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking of getting this lens next. I have been doing (and will definitely be doing again) a fair bit of indoor function photography which involves doing a lot of people shots at close range, using flash. I have been using the Sony 50mm and the Tamron 18-250mm. I prefer the shots I am getting at f2.8 with the 50mm but I need to use the 18-250mm as the room is usually too crowded to be able to stand far enough back.

So my question is, will the Sigma solve this problem? Also is the Sigma a better lens that the Tamron 18-250? It is around the same price, but I would expect the Sigma to cost more as it is f2.8. Oh, and the Sony 24-70 f2.8 is 4 times the price and I have just bought the 70-200 f2.8, so we won't even go there! ;)

I have this lens and it's almost perminantly stuck on my 40D. I use it for most things, even portraits (at the long end) and find that it works fine at 2.8 but is very good at f8.

These shots were all taken on that lens, and I'm convinced that the less sharp images are related to the problem I have with my flash unit. The portraits all came out great imho.

It's heavy, as the front element is a big piece of glass. The Macro isn't brilliant but I didn't buy it for that.

Last time I looked it was about £220 from One Stop Digital with a 5 day delivery.

HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve. Popped into Jessops this afternoon to have a look at one but they didn't have one in Sony fit, but I had a feel of a Nikon one and noticed that the AF/MF collar is the other way around from the other Sigmas. Has this ever caused a problem?

Thanks Steve. Popped into Jessops this afternoon to have a look at one but they didn't have one in Sony fit, but I had a feel of a Nikon one and noticed that the AF/MF collar is the other way around from the other Sigmas. Has this ever caused a problem?

Not to me, and I use manual focus quite often actually...

Steve

Cheers. I just don't want to forget and knacker the AF thinking I'm in MF! :bonk::D

Now that you mention it.....

I was messing about the other evening (taking a picture of a spider) using MF and I noticed that the lens motor would still "drive" but obviously the AF was not in gear. I don't think it will knacker it, the motor just spins (like a car in neutral).

Steve

Now that you mention it.....

I was messing about the other evening (taking a picture of a spider) using MF and I noticed that the lens motor would still "drive" but obviously the AF was not in gear. I don't think it will knacker it, the motor just spins (like a car in neutral).

Steve

Just had my sigma 105 back after 4 weeks because the AF motor went on it, so I'm a little paranoid at the moment! ;)

I am also considering sigma 24-70, and tamron 28-75 instead of the pricey Canon brick.

I might wait for the new Sigma 24-70HSM, It could be pricey though.
But If its £50 more than the current Sig 24-70 and the reviews are good, Its a winner.

I have had one about 9 months and it has never moved off my camera barring a few 50mm outings. My advice is buy one. Am gonna flog mine though now after the purchase of a 24-105mm off strobemonkey. Only bad thing is the requirement of 82mm filters which are a little dear.

I went into Jessops to order one this afternoon (They were by far the cheapest) only to be told that it has been discontinued and there is no stock left! :eek::eek:

Anyone know when the HSM version is coming out?

Just called Stigma this morning and asked them about the 24-70HSM. They said it will be available in UK next year but they don't know when.

How about the Tam 28-75? I was going to morrisphot this pm but it looks like it will be pouring soon, so maybe I'll go tomorrow instead. Or maybe someone is saying no... no.. no.. not the Tamron LOL.

How about the Tam 28-75? I was going to morrisphot this pm but it looks like it will be pouring soon, so maybe I'll go tomorrow instead. Or maybe someone is saying no... no.. no.. not the Tamron LOL.

I'm not so sure. I've had a feel of the Tamron and TBH they just feel very flimsy. I know it's the lens rather than a body, but I'm a sucker for build quality and the Sigmas just feel loads better to me. And yes, I'm aware of the irony in that I've just had to send away a Sigma for repair! :D

The Sigma 24-70 is a very solid piece of kit. Weighs a ton but fells like you have a substantial piece of kit in your hand.

I've had one on my Canon 30D for 3 months and it gives excellent results.

BUT

The end of the barrel when it's at full wide seems to be getting wobbly & the focus has started to hunt so it's going back to Sigma UK

I've got a Sigma 70-200 & the 24-70 and think they are cracking lenses but I'd not import one *just* incase of issues like this :)

I've got a Sigma 70-200 & the 24-70 and think they are cracking lenses but I'd not import one *just* incase of issues like this :)

Sigma lenses have a world wide warranty on them, so they can go back to Sigma UK if there's a problem.

Steve

Sigma lenses have a world wide warranty on them, so they can go back to Sigma UK if there's a problem.

Steve

The catch is, if you import the lens, you must prove stigma you paid tax. Otherwise they wouldn't touch it for warranty works.

The catch is, if you import the lens, you must prove stigma you paid tax. Otherwise they wouldn't touch it for warranty works.

I it from OSD, ship via Fed Ex, which most certainly will be caught and you pay VAT. Pay it, get receipt, claim that back from OSD then you'll be sorted.

VAT free, under UK warranty.

How strange!

I've just been to Jessops in Preston and got one! £279.

Really is a big chunky bit of kit, feels very nice indeed.

My first quick play with it...

om1.jpg

Tried to order one from Warehouse Express this morning ans subsequently got an email saying that it is out of stock. Phone around a few other places with no luck and no knowledge of if/when they'll be able to get any in. Anyway, have heard good things about the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and decided, what the hell, I don't think the extra 20mm will be that crucial so I've just phoned Warehouse Express again and changed my order. And saved myselg 20 squid as well! (y)

Back