Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8-4.0 Will It Be Suitable For A 1dMkII?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
As above really, looking for a suitable portrait lens for my 1dMkII & was
wondering if this would fit & do the job.

Asking price is £99 posted.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with that specific lens, but two things occur to me.

(1) Expensive camera plus cheap lens = bad results. Cheap camera plus expensive lens = good results. It seems a bit odd to have a great camera like that and stick a £99 lens on the front.

(2) For portraits you generally want fast apertures. That lens is only f/4 at the long end. You'd do better looking for an f/2.8 or f/2 lens.

Has to be the 50mm F1.4 or the 85mm F1.8 depending on distance available on a budget surely? Then 135mm F2 and ultimately 70-200mm F2.8.

None will be £99 though.

I'm not familiar with that specific lens, but two things occur to me.

(1) Expensive camera plus cheap lens = bad results. Cheap camera plus expensive lens = good results. It seems a bit odd to have a great camera like that and stick a £99 lens on the front.

(2) For portraits you generally want fast apertures. That lens is only f/4 at the long end. You'd do better looking for an f/2.8 or f/2 lens.

The lens is used hence the price.
Im not too familiar with the Sigma range to be honest so I wasnt sure if
this was a decent lens for the price.

I also have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 which im currently using.

Has to be the 50mm F1.4 or the 85mm F1.8 depending on distance available on a budget surely? Then 135mm F2 and ultimately 70-200mm F2.8.

None will be £99 though.

Distance is a problem at home hence the focal range rqd.

I can get full body shots with my Sigma 24-60 but its not the sharpest
lens & I find myself heading down the hallway with the 70-200.

If you are complaining that your 24-60 is not the sharpest lens then you will probably use that 28-105 precisely once.

I had one, I used it once and the poor quality was in comparison to the Canon 28-105mm Mk2 I also had (and still have!)

Thanks Richard, that one has been crossed off my list (y)

Back