Sigma 50mm 1.4 on Canon 6D

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Shot wide open so even the edges of the bauble are not too sharp but lovely bokeh!

Last edited:
Nice festive photo, lovely bokeh indeed :) I have the 50mm f/1.8 so might give this a go when I get the chance :)

It is f/1.4 - what sort of depth of field do you expect? The edges are not even in focus... The bokeh is not very pleasing due to bright bits littered across the frame and fair underexposure to compensate for that.

It is f/1.4 - what sort of depth of field do you expect? The edges are not even in focus... The bokeh is not very pleasing due to bright bits littered across the frame and fair underexposure to compensate for that.

You could have shortened your post to "Humbug."

I have a Siggy 50mm f1.4, it's lovely :D

Talk about bursting someone's bubble. I don't think the OP was professing it was technically the best photo ever, just the fact he likes the lens. It was posted on 'Talk Equipment' after all.

Talk about bursting someone's bubble. I don't think the OP was professing it was technically the best photo ever, just the fact he likes the lens. It was posted on 'Talk Equipment' after all.

Wasn't OP complaining about lack of sharpness?! And my post is rather technique centric - you shoot 3D object at f/1.4 and you get exactly that.

I read it differently, that he is pleased with the off bokeh, and he was acknowledging that at f/1.4 the edges would also be oof?

No I wasn't complaining about lack of sharpness. I think starting the post by excusing the lack of sharpness would hint at that.

I simply wanted to post what the lens was like wide open.

Very exited to get my hands on this as my next lens! I've heard it's hard to get hold of a good copy though, is this true?

I'm sure that you can get a bady copy of pretty much any lens and that it's possible to get a bad lens / body combo as bodies can be off too.

I'm also sure that lots of reports of front / back focus are nothing more than user error.

I'm sure that you can get a bady copy of pretty much any lens and that it's possible to get a bad lens / body combo as bodies can be off too.

I'm also sure that lots of reports of front / back focus are nothing more than user error.

Don't agree with your comment re user error. I have had two sigmas and both suffered badly with front focussing. The last was a sigma 50mm 1.4. I was unhappy with the results i was getting so I set up a controlled test using this lens and a Canon 50mm 1.4. The Canon was spot on whereas the Sigma suffered so badly with front focussing that even at full micro adjustment on the camera body it was still badly front focussing.

I am not saying that Sigmas are badly lenses simply that the QC on Canons is a lot better in my experience.

Don't agree with your comment re user error. I have had two sigmas and both suffered badly with front focussing. The last was a sigma 50mm 1.4. I was unhappy with the results i was getting so I set up a controlled test using this lens and a Canon 50mm 1.4. The Canon was spot on whereas the Sigma suffered so badly with front focussing that even at full micro adjustment on the camera body it was still badly front focussing.

I am not saying that Sigmas are badly lenses simply that the QC on Canons is a lot better in my experience.

It's intersting that the Canon you found to be good also has a reputation for poor copies :D

I have a Sigma 50mm f1.4 and I have no complaints but when I let someone else use it his focus was all over the place. I could see the problem, he was nodding forward or leaning back as he pressed the shutter. I also sold a 30mm f1.4 here and the new owner had issues that I never had but try telling someone that a back/front focusing Sigma is fine and it's their technique that's the problem and you're on a hiding to nothing. So, I'll accept what you say but from personal experience I'll stick to my own view :D that many reports of focus difficulty, regardless of what kit it is, are simply user error.

I have also had both, and returned the Sigma. Nice lens, but no good at all since it didn't work. I've had two copies of the Canon 1.4, and both were spot on. It's one of my favourite lenses.

I just can't understand why it has a reputation for front focussing. I've read of loads of people that are happy with it, and would recommend it. Woof Woof said this...."So, I'll accept what you say but from personal experience I'll stick to my own view that many reports of focus difficulty, regardless of what kit it is, are simply user error".... and I agree wholeheartedly. Put your lens on manual focus, focus it on an object a few feet in front of you, then move your head back and forth just an inch, you'll see just how easy it is to lose critical focus, indeed, the mere act of pressing the shutter may ruin the focus. DOF is so narrow at this aperture, that it's critical to focus exactly, which is why using even f1.8 makes such a remarkable difference.

Photozone.de, one of the most reliable equipment reviewers and testers has this to say about the Canon:

The EF 50mm f/1.4 USM showed an almost flawless performance during the lab- and field-tests both in terms of optical and mechanical quality. If I had to list a few negative points it would be vignetting and low contrast at f/1.4. So if you're looking for a lens in this class the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is a great option.

And the Sigma:

The new Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM is a refreshing alternative in the long-ignored standard AF lens market. The lens is fairly big and heavy due to unusually big glass elements but thanks to the design efforts it is already capable of delivering very sharp images straight from f/1.4 and the resolution is truly impressive at medium aperture settings. Distortions, vignetting as well as CAs aren't overly relevant in field conditions. The bokeh can be a bit nervous at f/1.4 but it's smoother and more buttery from f/2 onwards. The build quality of the lens is excellent. The HSM AF drive is very fast and virtually silent. Unfortunately the lens suffers from residual spherical aberrations (focus shifts) when stopping down which may spoil the game at times.

If I report that an item I uses is good, it's because I have used and tested it, and am happy with it. You pay your money, and make your choice. I would unhesitatingly recommend this lens to others. It's a fabulous lens, and a lot cheaper than the Sigma.

I have also had both, and returned the Sigma. Nice lens, but no good at all since it didn't work. I've had two copies of the Canon 1.4, and both were spot on. It's one of my favourite lenses.

I just can't understand why it has a reputation for front focussing. I've read of loads of people that are happy with it, and would recommend it. Woof Woof said this...."So, I'll accept what you say but from personal experience I'll stick to my own view that many reports of focus difficulty, regardless of what kit it is, are simply user error".... and I agree wholeheartedly. Put your lens on manual focus, focus it on an object a few feet in front of you, then move your head back and forth just an inch, you'll see just how easy it is to lose critical focus, indeed, the mere act of pressing the shutter may ruin the focus. DOF is so narrow at this aperture, that it's critical to focus exactly, which is why using even f1.8 makes such a remarkable difference.

Photozone.de, one of the most reliable equipment reviewers and testers has this to say about the Canon:

The EF 50mm f/1.4 USM showed an almost flawless performance during the lab- and field-tests both in terms of optical and mechanical quality. If I had to list a few negative points it would be vignetting and low contrast at f/1.4. So if you're looking for a lens in this class the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM is a great option.

And the Sigma:

The new Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM is a refreshing alternative in the long-ignored standard AF lens market. The lens is fairly big and heavy due to unusually big glass elements but thanks to the design efforts it is already capable of delivering very sharp images straight from f/1.4 and the resolution is truly impressive at medium aperture settings. Distortions, vignetting as well as CAs aren't overly relevant in field conditions. The bokeh can be a bit nervous at f/1.4 but it's smoother and more buttery from f/2 onwards. The build quality of the lens is excellent. The HSM AF drive is very fast and virtually silent. Unfortunately the lens suffers from residual spherical aberrations (focus shifts) when stopping down which may spoil the game at times.

If I report that an item I uses is good, it's because I have used and tested it, and am happy with it. You pay your money, and make your choice. I would unhesitatingly recommend this lens to others. It's a fabulous lens, and a lot cheaper than the Sigma.
Heh, interesting, my experience differs. The Canon 50mm 1.4 was my favourite lens for a long time but it does have some significant issues, the worst one being a design flaw that makes it susceptible to failure with very low energy impacts to the front of it. Since buying the Sigma I sold the Canon. The advantages the Sigma has for me are significantly better AF in low light situations and the sheer beauty of portraits shot with it wide open, admittedly some of which is down to a slight vignette. The only disadvantage I've found is its sheer size and weight.

I bought a Sigma over the Canon after taking a bunch of test shops in the shop before going back the next day and buying it having looked at the results. Truth be told there was very little in it, marginally better contrast with the Sigma (to my eye) and it had no problems with the focusing I'd read about. I'd also read about the Canon's lack of robustness so the Sigma won.

Back