Sigma 50mm Focusing Issues

Name
Peter Barber
Edit My Images
Yes
Folks

I just bought a Sigma 50mm 1.4 from OneStopDigital for my Canon 5D MKII. On running through a few test shots last night, this lens seems to have some signifcant front focus issues. I contacted OneStopDigital who informed me that they will not do replacements on focus issues as the manufacturer always blames the camera.

They did offer to send it to Sigma if I sent them on the lens and the camera. This seems overkill and is a real lesson with respect to buying Grey imports.

I played around with the MA, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Is there anything else I can do to improve the sharpness of this lens.

Thanks
Peter

No, the 50 is known for having duff focus, thats the main reason I dont buy from OSD. I wont insult you and say you dont know how to test the lens properly or its down to user error like some others as I experienced this with a few copies from different sources till I found a copy that focuses perfectly.

Last edited:
Thanks, to be fair, its not even pixel peeping sharpness I'm worried about, but sharp eyes would even be nice.

I tried a number of tests on text, ruler, lens test sheet and people and I haven't taken a shot with it yet that even comes close to acceptable.

I bought it to replace my canon 50mm, that took a small knock whcih wrecked the AF system, so I had a choice to spend 180 quid to repair something that has poor build quality of invest abit more and get the siggie, maybe I made the worng call.

Last edited:
I dont think it was the wrong call as the Sigma is amazing when it works properly, may be an idea to ask OSD for payment of calibration in UK, it costs £37.50 direct with Sigma.

I will do, it'll save alot of hassle sending the stuff back.

Excellent, that is good to know, so certainly worth a try, I'll let you know how I get on.

Peter

I just bought this for my 5dmkII. I had to set it to micro adjust by about 17 plus but it is very sharp. Gutted for you, it is a beast of a lens.

Thanks ill try and play with the MA again and hope for the best

I have written this before about this lens, I love the character of the images, but I had the same problem.

In fact, with my lens the focus shifted depending on subject distance so I could get it absolutely and consistently spot on at one distance, move the tripod and it was out.

Good luck getting it sorted.

A lot of people also swear by the Siggy 50, so I wonder if it is a camera specific problem. I had a 5D2 at the time. If I'm feeling brave, I might give it one more chance, it is a lovely lens.

A lot of people also swear by the Siggy 50, so I wonder if it is a camera specific problem.

I've never had a focus issue with any lens of any make. So far I've had 300D, 10D, 20D and 5D. The only camera I've read anything focus related about is the 20D and what I read was that the reviewing site had fewer focus issues with that camera than any other. If the 300D, 10D and 5D have similar focus systems to the 20D and if that particular review site is on to something that may well explain why I've had such good luck not only with Sigma lenses but also Tamron and Canon.

I still maintain that much of this is user related but of course I make no judgement about the OP as I don't know what tests have been done and how. The only first hand evidence I have is that all of my lenses seem to work perfectly for me including my 50mm f1.4 which was dismissed as a pile of poo by someone with bad technique (nodding backwards and forwards whilst taking shots) and the forummer I sold my 30mm f1.4 too initially had all sorts of problems but admitted user error.

OP. I hope you get it sorted.

Speaking as someone who owns the same lens and had major problems, I feel your pain. However, don't worry - the chances are you will end up with an amazing lens, you just need to send it off to Sigma with your camera body to have them calibrated. A bit of a pain in the wotnot, but it's worth it. Also, it shouldn't cost you anything - even though you bought a grey import, Sigma UK will honour the standard 1 year warranty, although you won't get the 3 year warranty you'd be entitled to if you'd bought it from a UK retailer.

I bought mine off eBay, and it turns out I was its 3rd owner. As soon as I got my hands on it I realised it wasn't right. I had sold my Canon 50mm 1.8 to a friend to finance it, and I couldn't get shots as sharp with the Sigma. I thought I was going mad, so borrowed my old lens back and sure enough, the Canon nailed focus every time wide open. Even if I stopped the Sigma down to 1.8 it was awful. Absolutely all over the place!

To make things more complicated my lens was originally purchased in Andorra. This made the barefaced lie I was about to tell quite hard to stick to.

Luckily I had the original receipt, and it was still less than a year since the original owner bought it, so all I had to do was leave my morals at the door, phone Sigma and tell them of my woes, whilst making up a story of my Dad buying it for me in a moment of drunken generosity on his skiing trip. I feel dirty, but it worked.

I sent it in along with my 5D and they had it for about a week. It would have been quicker but the chap dealing with it (Daniel - a very nice chap who I belive is the service centre manager) told me he had "an absolute nightmare" calibrating it. Apparently it was front focusing at close distances but back focusing at longer distances. He really put a lot of effort in and kept it for an extra day to take it outside the calibration "lab" and take some real world shots with it in natural light, just to make sure it was right.

Eventually I got my lens back and it is PERFECT. Yes it still hunts for focus in low light, but I think that is more down to my 5D than the lens. I love it. Although having said that I might be selling it as I've just ordered a their new 35mm. But believe me it will hurt letting it go after what I've been through to get it to how it is now!

My advice: DEFINITELY keep it. Send it to Sigma and tell them the deal. They WILL sort it for you, with minimal hassle. I'd recommend asking to speak to Daniel, as he seems to be the man who makes the magic happen.

Hope you get it sorted, and again...I feel your pain. Just stick with it and know that it can be an amazing bit of kit if you have it calibrated to your camera. :)

I would post a 100% crop from a shot taken at f/1.4 after I got it back from calibration, but I don't know how to. I won't post a 100% crop from a photo taken BEFORE I sent it off to be calibrated, as it would make you vomit. It was that bad.

Speaking as someone who owns the same lens and had major problems, I feel your pain. However, don't worry - the chances are you will end up with an amazing lens, you just need to send it off to Sigma with your camera body to have them calibrated. A bit of a pain in the wotnot, but it's worth it. Also, it shouldn't cost you anything - even though you bought a grey import, Sigma UK will honour the standard 1 year warranty, although you won't get the 3 year warranty you'd be entitled to if you'd bought it from a UK retailer.

I bought mine off eBay, and it turns out I was its 3rd owner. As soon as I got my hands on it I realised it wasn't right. I had sold my Canon 50mm 1.8 to a friend to finance it, and I couldn't get shots as sharp with the Sigma. I thought I was going mad, so borrowed my old lens back and sure enough, the Canon nailed focus every time wide open. Even if I stopped the Sigma down to 1.8 it was awful. Absolutely all over the place!

To make things more complicated my lens was originally purchased in Andorra. This made the barefaced lie I was about to tell quite hard to stick to.

Luckily I had the original receipt, and it was still less than a year since the original owner bought it, so all I had to do was leave my morals at the door, phone Sigma and tell them of my woes, whilst making up a story of my Dad buying it for me in a moment of drunken generosity on his skiing trip. I feel dirty, but it worked.

I sent it in along with my 5D and they had it for about a week. It would have been quicker but the chap dealing with it (Daniel - a very nice chap who I belive is the service centre manager) told me he had "an absolute nightmare" calibrating it. Apparently it was front focusing at close distances but back focusing at longer distances. He really put a lot of effort in and kept it for an extra day to take it outside the calibration "lab" and take some real world shots with it in natural light, just to make sure it was right.

Eventually I got my lens back and it is PERFECT. Yes it still hunts for focus in low light, but I think that is more down to my 5D than the lens. I love it. Although having said that I might be selling it as I've just ordered a their new 35mm. But believe me it will hurt letting it go after what I've been through to get it to how it is now!

My advice: DEFINITELY keep it. Send it to Sigma and tell them the deal. They WILL sort it for you, with minimal hassle. I'd recommend asking to speak to Daniel, as he seems to be the man who makes the magic happen.

Hope you get it sorted, and again...I feel your pain. Just stick with it and know that it can be an amazing bit of kit if you have it calibrated to your camera. :)

Thanks for this, I'm going to get a few folks at the camera club to try it on their bodies to see if there any issues.

To be fair the reason I bought the Sigma 50mm, is because I had a Sigma 30mm paired with 7D and loved the shots and sharpness of it, so hopefully this one will be easily sorted, buy either rectifying the "User Error" or Sigma calibrating it.

Thanks to all for your responses.

Back