Sigma 70-200 2.8 or...

Name
Jarod
Edit My Images
Yes
I am trying to decide on which lens upgrade to get.
I have previously posted on whether I should by a Canon L lens but was advised that I may not find much of a increase in quality of pictures with the 17-40mm on my crop sensor 450D.

I love landscape photography (but I am not very good at it yet), travel photography, Motorsports (but dont go to many events as I have no car!) and still life and macro stuff. Pretty much in that order.
I currently have the kit 18-55 IS, 70-200 zoom and nifty fifty (which I love).

The more I thought about it, the more I realised that what I really need is a replacement for my 70-200 Canon USM II zoom.
I have a couple of choices and was wondering what others suggested.

#1 Get the Sigma 70-200 f2.8

#2 Get the Canon IS 55-250 f4-5.6 and a second hand Canon L 17-40mm

#3 Get the Canon IS 55-250 f4-5.6 and a Sigma 10-22mm f4-5.6

What would you do if you were me?

2.8 is nice for portraits and the 70-200 is good for landscapes I think
I went for the 50-150 sigma 2.8
L glass will give you really nice quality shots, there's no need to go wider than 17mm unless you really like your wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide shots

for landscapes...do you have a tripod, and filters yet? or is this something that you're not bothered about?

Oops..in my original post, I meant the Canon 55-250 IS lens (not 70-200 like I mistakenly stated).
The reviews I have read for that lens look pretty good.
Mind you the reviews for each of the lenses that I listed look good.
Essentially, I just want to make sure I dont waste my money.
I travel a bit and travel light so that may be a consideration as well. I believe the Canon 55-250 is a smaller and lighter lens than the Sigma 70-200 2.8
So, kind of makes the main decision: Would I be better to go for the Sigma or Canon zoom?
The Sigma is a lot more expensive and would be the only lens I buy.
The Canon is cheaper and would give me some money to buy another lens.
PS: I do have a tripod and some filters but will get some more filters later.

Back