• Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 APO EX

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • canon 70-200mm f4 L

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of spending some money and buying either Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX (old MK0 model) or a Canon 70-200mm F4L.
The main use will be track days as i will be doing a few come next year and taking shots of my little boy.
I may be able to stretch to get a 1.4x for the sigma if i went down that route to give a little extra range.
Which lens would be best and has anyone got/compared the two.
TIA

Yep, until last month I had both. :)

I'm not a motorsport tog but can I assume you won't be shooting high ISO and f2.8?

In which case I'd plump for the Canon all day long, smaller, lighter faster to focus and ultimately just a little sharper.

The Sigma is great for f2.8 and has good skin tones but that's not really what you need. :)

I'm not a motorsport tog but can I assume you won't be shooting high ISO and f2.8?

helps for gloomy rally stages ;)

In which case I'd plump for the Canon all day long, smaller, lighter faster to focus and ultimately just a little sharper.

sorry but the sigma isnt exactly heavy, slow or unsharp. in fact personally id say the opposite.

sorry but the sigma isnt exactly heavy, slow or unsharp. in fact personally id say the opposite.

705 compared to 1380 grammes (25 / 48.7 oz) is nearly half the weight - quite a difference IMO.
I swapped from the Sigma to the Canon f/4L a couple of months ago and the difference is quite noticeable, especially if you are out with it all day.

I rarely shot at f/2.8 and if speed is required, I'd rather use my f/1.8 85 or f/2 135L.
I also find the Canon much sharper (even wide open) and gives far better colours.

I also found myself not taking the Sigma out and about because it was so bulky and heavy, the Canon f/4 is not such a burden to lug around for a day.

Just my opinions on the two.

helps for gloomy rally stages ;)

Having used both for two years I'd say next to the Canon f4 it's heavy (er), slow(er) to focus and having conducted a whole series of lens tests after I missed a focus point (it was user error :bonk:) I found that the Canon is just a little sharper at f4 than the Sigma. Greens, in particular seem to resolve a little better on the Canon.

I've just bought a 2.8IS and I sold the Sigma and kept the Canon f4 for walkabout days when I don't want to be lugging the 2.8, THAT'S heavy! :)

Never really noticed the weight of my 70-200 f2.8 unless it's hanging from my shoulder & I turn round quickly.

The impact of a 50D + grip +70-200 on the back smarts a bit ;)

lol I'm 5'3" and have it attached to a 1Ds which is a blooming brick in it's own right.

Using the 5D with the f4 compared to the 1Ds with the 2.8 is like having a day off! :)

Picked up a s/h sigma Mk 0 version over the weekend.

Seems such a good lens but it may be wasted on my talent.Hopefully if its dry this weekend i will get to try it out.

Back