Sigma 70-300 DG Macro II Lens Canon or Nikon £97.49 + 5.80p&p @ Argos

Edit My Images
No
As above taken from another forum, seems a pretty good deal although this is the non motorised version so only MF on the D40, D60 etc.

Codes if you need them:

Canon - 556/1355
Nikon - 556/1362

hi there, does this mean that the canon version will not have auto focus?

Thanks, really interested in this!

Dion!

It'll be fine on the Canon, some Nikons need an Auto Focus motor built into the lens.

does this mean that it will work ok on my canon 400D with auto focus?

Thanks,

Dion!

EDIT : It says " Full Size Manual Focusing "

Last edited:
Yep it will be fine on your 400d.

As far as i know it will only be Nikons that will be affected. Its the same as this lens Click.

yep, seems to be the same, just that the manual focusing bit has put me off, ive emailed argos to have one delivered to my local store when they are back in stock anyway!

Thanks,

Dion!

Whilst quite cheap, this is the non-APO version of this lens. I had one for my old 300D and the chromatic aberations were truely awful. The photos from a trip to see the Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda were ruined by it - the fur was multi-coloured! (pics available...).

Please ignore this deal and buy the APO version (which I owned in Nikon mount). FAR better lens.

I have this lens and can tell you it is a great lens for the price. It has done me proud on many occasions with my bird shots in particular. I have had no problems with chromatic aberrations :shrug: As with any lens, getting to know it and it's sweet spot pays off. Granted the APO version would be better, but I wouldn't write off this lens at all.

This was one of my best shots using the very same lens, you can click it to view a much larger shot ;):

IMHO of course ;)

Edited to add: It work fine using auto focus on my Canon 350D and also then my 40D, so I don't think for a second you would have a problem with your 400D Dion ;)

Last edited:
I have this lens and can tell you it is a great lens for the price. It has done me proud on many occasions with my bird shots in particular. I have had no problems with chromatic aberrations :shrug: As with any lens, getting to know it and it's sweet spot pays off. Granted the APO version would be better, but I wouldn't write off this lens at all.

This was one of my best shots using the very same lens, you can click it to view a much larger shot ;):

IMHO of course ;)

Edited to add: It work fine using auto focus on my Canon 350D and also then my 40D, so I don't think for a second you would have a problem with your 400D Dion ;)
#

Thanks,

I'm still waiting for an email from argos to see if they have it in stock!
Anyone else bought one?

I want to use this for motorsport in the daytime (trackdays and rallies etc.)
Is it a quick enough lens?

Thanks again,

Dion!

Had an email off argos, these are now back in stock!
just thought I'd let everyone know.

Dion!

Get the APO version. I had the DG macro version and it was cheap and cheerful and better than nothing, but the APO version or the Canon 55-250IS would be a better buy. More expensive but better value IMO

As above taken from another forum, seems a pretty good deal although this is the non motorised version so only MF on the D40, D60 etc.

Codes if you need them:

Canon - 556/1355
Nikon - 556/1362

Just looked and found this
Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6DG MACR IILens.556/1355 £129.99

where you get your price?

Back