Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

Wow this thread really did fall off a cliff, 2 years without a post. Well I'll change that as I have just bought a DP2 and a DP3, both Merrills of course. I had a DP3 years ago and always regretted selling it even though it was quirky to use and you had to add SPP to your workflow.

The purchase of the two Merrils has come hot on the heels of my investment in a new monitor, a 4k Dell supersharp which is a revelation in itself. All of my images are now SHARP! I even had an eye test and got some new glasses but the monitor has made the biggest difference.

Anyway when I first loaded the now Tiff files into Lightroom I was simply blown away by the resolution/definition and sharpness of the DP2, I thought that the DP3 that had before was sharp but bloody hell I almost cut myself.

The image below will not show up as it does on my monitor but just to put a bit more context to it, Friday was blowing a gale on Dartmoor, so much so that I couldn't stand still, constantly being buffeted by the wind, it's also a three shot hand held panorama stitched in Lightroom and it's still sharper than what I can achieve with my D800.

Dartmoor stone row by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

Between work and weather I've not been able to get out much in the last week or two, this was between downpours yesterday.

Postbridge 5 by Tim Riesner, on Flickr

I should have said in my previous post, no sharpening applied in Lightroom, I'm not sure if the camera applies any but I don't need to.

I should have said in my previous post, no sharpening applied in Lightroom, I'm not sure if the camera applies any but I don't need to.

That's one thing I found about these Sigmas - the workflow is completely different from any "normal" camera. Thanks for resurrecting this thread - it reminded me to dig my DP3 out and charge the batteries up for another play :)

That's one thing I found about these Sigmas - the workflow is completely different from any "normal" camera. Thanks for resurrecting this thread - it reminded me to dig my DP3 out and charge the batteries up for another play :)

I've found that it's not just the workflow but the processing as well, I'm finding myself having to learn different settings in Lightroom, I have gotten so used to Nikon's sensors that it's almost automatic where I place the slider but the Merrill/Foveon is very different.

Still I'm really enjoying the different look in most cases, sunny sky is a problem if you over expose slightly, I shall have to try some soft grads next time I'm out.

These little cameras sure produce the goods. LCD screen sure isn’t the best, but you only using it for composing the shot and is no reflection of the finished article. I’ve also found the operating system on Sigma cameras very user friendly, which has lhelped using their cameras. Attached images were both taken with DPM cameras

Attachments

• 80C7CBEF-C409-41B2-81C2-0EE5F9CF96D6.jpeg
    80C7CBEF-C409-41B2-81C2-0EE5F9CF96D6.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 0A3F64EA-AC0B-4A71-BFC6-C6A3A6D1278F.jpeg
    0A3F64EA-AC0B-4A71-BFC6-C6A3A6D1278F.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 19
Nope, sold the three many years ago.

I sold mine as well (M2 and M3) but bought two off here a few weeks ago (an M2 and a 3) after reading an article which sparked my interest again, I'd forgotten how good and how awkward they can be ;)

Back