Sigma lenses

Joe Lawson

Name
Joe Lawson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have got a sigma 28-200mm lens for my Nikon D3000, but I am not very happy with it. I am thinking of getting a sigma 70-300mm macro lens.
Does anyone know if this lens will be better for sports and nature photography?
Thank you

Yes it would be better but I would try and stretch the budget to the 120-400 if I were you, maybe second hand.

The sigma 120-300 2.8 is what I'm saving up for now and was told it's amazing for sports.

Of it needs to be a 70-300 the Tamron vc is very good value

If your budget will stretch to it then the Tamron 70-300VC is very good value.

Hiya Joe, Sigma 70-300mm lenses can be bought 2nd hand very cheaply £40/50 and IMO are excellent value for money if its a little extra reach your after. I've owned one for 18 months and had no issues with it at all, although I do shoot in raw and sometimes need to add a bit of clarity in ACR to get, what I feel, is an image that I'm very happy with :)

Edit- as an after thought, I'm not very familiar with the 28-200mm, but what is it that your not happy with?

Last edited:
Thank you, I now have a 70-300 mm sigma lens and it is a lot better. I think it may have been that the other was second hand
Thanks

Worth the stretch to the Tamron 70-300 VC in my opinion (usually pretty reasonable used on MPB Photographic etc), it really is an excellent lens for the money, and this is coming from somebody who has used a 70-200 2.8 and 120-300 2.8 extensively.

Have to admit I have given up on Sigma lenses after my last two on digital :(
Loved them on my old film cameras but they jsut don't work for me on digital

I've got the newer 17-70 f2.8-4 and I love it, it's razor sharp and it was an absolute bargain bought from here almost brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

I own a number of Sigma Len's including two 70-300mm apo in both Canon and Nikon mounts.
They really do punch above there price, which has some what dropped in price since purchasing my first copy.
As mentioned by other members here the Tamron 70-300mm VC is also very good.

Back