Sigma USB dock not seeing new lens.

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
As per the title, my new dock does not see the new Sigma 24-105mm lens.

I run Win7 service pack 1 64bit and everything is up to date. In device manager the dock is only recognised as a generic USB hub which I don't think is right.

I have traweled the interweb and can find nothing of help.

Can anyone suggest what I can try (is there a setting I may have missed in Windows perhaps?)

ANdy

I would check on sigmas website to see if the 24-105mm is supported

Although the 24-105 is not currently listed as supported I spoke to a Sigma techie earlier today and he said that he had tried the same combo and it had worked fine. I followed his instructions to the letter (it is well documented anyway) but still have had no joy. I am pretty sure it is going to be something silly that I have overlooked but atm I can't work it out.

Cheers for your reply tho Ivan.

Andy

Are you connecting the dock to the lens first and then plugging into the USB port ?

Plug direct into your PC (if not already) and try different USB ports*.

*assuming as well as downloading the Sigma software you've also installed it prior to connecting the USB dock ;)

Are you connecting the dock to the lens first and then plugging into the USB port ?
Yes Neil, I am but thanks for the suggestion.
Plug direct into your PC (if not already) and try different USB ports*.

*assuming as well as downloading the Sigma software you've also installed it prior to connecting the USB dock ;)
Sharky, I have tried all available USB ports etc without success.

I have submitted a ticket with both Microsoft and Sigma, I have done what Microsoft suggests (re-install software) but the problem remains.

As the lens is a brand new model and not yet listed under those that are compatible with the dock, I am hoping that this is all that is the problem.

I will keep this thread updated just in case there are future, similar problems. Thanks to everyone that have posted suggestions, I really appreciate the help.

Andy

Hopefully it'll be as you say due to the lens compatibility. In the mean time have you got access to another PC to try the dock on e.g. friend, partner, work maybe?

I have the USB dock which works well with my 35mm F1.4 Art lens, I am running it via a laptop under Windows 7 in 32 bit mode and although it does says the software is compatible with 64 bit mode you may wish to see if it works on a 32 bit machine if you have one available?

When plugged in, mine is just identified by Device Manager as being in a Generic USB hub which I think is just referring to the USB slot it's connected to.

Looking on the Sigma UK website, it says the newer 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | A lens is compatible with the USB dock.

Cannot suggest anything more than what has been said above and I am sure you have checked your PC meets the Sigma criteria? viz: Core2Duo or faster processor, Windows 7 or Windows 8, 1GB of available hard drive space, 24-bit graphics card (approx. 16.7 million colors), 1024 x 768 or higher screen resolution, USB 1.1 as standard.

Hopefully it'll be as you say due to the lens compatibility. In the mean time have you got access to another PC to try the dock on e.g. friend, partner, work maybe?

I will try and get hold of a laptop and see if that works.

I have the USB dock which works well with my 35mm F1.4 Art lens, I am running it via a laptop under Windows 7 in 32 bit mode and although it does says the software is compatible with 64 bit mode you may wish to see if it works on a 32 bit machine if you have one available?

When plugged in, mine is just identified by Device Manager as being in a Generic USB hub which I think is just referring to the USB slot it's connected to.

Looking on the Sigma UK website, it says the newer 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | A lens is compatible with the USB dock.

Cannot suggest anything more than what has been said above and I am sure you have checked your PC meets the Sigma criteria? viz: Core2Duo or faster processor, Windows 7 or Windows 8, 1GB of available hard drive space, 24-bit graphics card (approx. 16.7 million colors), 1024 x 768 or higher screen resolution, USB 1.1 as standard.

Yes, my PC is bang up to date but thanks for the suggestions :).

I am waiting on a reply from Sigma and will post as soon as I hear anything. :ty:

Andy

Update!

Sigma in Japan made a minor software update to the Sigma software and everything is now working as intended.

I have been extremely impressed with how quickly they responded to my problem both in the UK and in Japan. Top marks from me for customer care!

Andy

Glad your sorted Andy and good response from Sigma:clap:

How useful is this USB Dock? I wonder if it's the sort of thing other third party manufacturers will come out with eg Tamron to combat the potential reverse engineering issues that can arise.

What sort of corrections can be done? As someone who has lambasted Sigma in the past for their QC- quite rightly though to be honest, although they do now seem to be getting their act together. Lenses I tested in the past had some fairly big issues and I am doubtful this would correct them but I don't know much about it.

I am assuming if their QC is improved on recent lenses that this just allows a bit more fine tuning to match to your camera as well as making sure it can remain compatible with future camera upgrades? Still very useful though- both seem like good news- QC and the dock- I assume the board decided enough was enough with lens returns:naughty::D

Glad your sorted Andy and good response from Sigma:clap:

How useful is this USB Dock? I wonder if it's the sort of thing other third party manufacturers will come out with eg Tamron to combat the potential reverse engineering issues that can arise.

What sort of corrections can be done? As someone who has lambasted Sigma in the past for their QC- quite rightly though to be honest, although they do now seem to be getting their act together. Lenses I tested in the past had some fairly big issues and I am doubtful this would correct them but I don't know much about it.

I am assuming if their QC is improved on recent lenses that this just allows a bit more fine tuning to match to your camera as well as making sure it can remain compatible with future camera upgrades? Still very useful though- both seem like good news- QC and the dock- I assume the board decided enough was enough with lens returns:naughty::D

Dr O, to answer your question the dock and associated software will be very useful IMO as it allows the user to do the following to certain lenses.

1. On all compatible lenses the user can make relevant firmware updates.

2. On all compatible lenses the user can fine tune the focus.

3. On certain of the compatible lenses the user can make alterations to the pre focus distances.

4. On certain of the compatible lenses the user can make alterations to the OS settings.

There is talk in some circles that some of the slightly older lenses will eventually become compatible in order to make focus adjustments.

Personally I think it is an excellent idea that Sigma have transferred a lot of what their technicians would do, if owners were to return lenses for alterations, to the users. I would also imagine that Sigma owners will be able to make other adjustments in the future.

On the subject of QC the new lenses build quality is brilliant, the 24-105 is a big, solid lump of glass and has none of that awful finish seen in early Sigma lenses. I can certainly see other manufacturers following Sigmas lead with the dock/software, particularly as the technology improves.

I hope I have covered your questions mate, I will write a detailed review of the 24-105 once I have had time to put it through its paces more thoroughly, it hasn't even been on my camera yet due to the awful weather we are currently experiencing :(!

Andy

There's always the possibility of the camera being the problem. Have you thought of that?

You can't expect any 3rd party lens maker to make lenses that'll work on every camera. That's something that Canon and Nikon can't do and they can't make cameras that'll work with every lens either (not DSLR's as they are now anyway) and as that's the case a device like this seems to have a place in the market... until DSLR's or whatever cameras we use don't suffer from / back focus issues.

Some of us use cameras like that now :D

Dr O, to answer your question the dock and associated software will be very useful IMO as it allows the user to do the following to certain lenses.

1. On all compatible lenses the user can make relevant firmware updates.

2. On all compatible lenses the user can fine tune the focus.

3. On certain of the compatible lenses the user can make alterations to the pre focus distances.

4. On certain of the compatible lenses the user can make alterations to the OS settings.

There is talk in some circles that some of the slightly older lenses will eventually become compatible in order to make focus adjustments.

Personally I think it is an excellent idea that Sigma have transferred a lot of what their technicians would do, if owners were to return lenses for alterations, to the users. I would also imagine that Sigma owners will be able to make other adjustments in the future.

On the subject of QC the new lenses build quality is brilliant, the 24-105 is a big, solid lump of glass and has none of that awful finish seen in early Sigma lenses. I can certainly see other manufacturers following Sigmas lead with the dock/software, particularly as the technology improves.

I hope I have covered your questions mate, I will write a detailed review of the 24-105 once I have had time to put it through its paces more thoroughly, it hasn't even been on my camera yet due to the awful weather we are currently experiencing :(!

Andy

Thanks Andy, great info:).

Looking forward to the review. Agree on weather front- it's dire- hopefully we can get some -16 temps soon and no rain, although am aware some may just want the latter:D

Back