"signs of enhancement"

Name
Gergo Toth
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I received an e-mail from an editor. I have no problem with critique and more than happy the read, listen people's opinion because I can learn from them, but I don't understand "do show signs of enhancement" on my pictures. Link: http://biSPAM/1i12iWR
What did he mean? Photoshop? Only use it for watermarks, rarely us for anything else.

Regards

Last edited:
The link had two http. works now

might be better in talk rather than critique?

Well I got as far as the gallery called Ambury Nights and if you're telling me there's no PP, I'm not up for buying any magic beans either.

On 2nd look, the whole thing is riddled with spot colour. So I'd say the editor was bang on and you have a weird idea of 'rarely use'.

Last edited:
Sarah - The editor said in general, didn't told me specifically. The reason why I put in generic, because I didn't want to start new threads in 3-4 forums, but I get your point and thank you very much.

Phil - Thanks, I never said I didn't do PP, I mainly do in Lightroom. Because I shoot RAW, Lightroom help me create the image what I had in my mind during the shoot. After I took the pictures I spend 1-2 days to process them, until I happy with the result, if not I am not sharing them. That's why I have average 20 pictures in one album.
Let's say the Rockingham Stages Rally Album, mainly I changed the white balance, bit crop, shadows, +10/20 clarity and that's it.
To be honest Phil I try to find my own style, and try to do something else. I bought my first DSLR 2 years ago and I don't really want to do stock photo. I know people go hard in photoshop, creating blur effects and sunshine, but trust me I am not (you can see the settings under the pictures).
The editor said their photographers haven't got time for PP, which I know. I had opportunity to work for a motorsport magazine last year and I have the best 3 days of my life in Silverstone :D

Thank you so much Phil and looking forward to hear more critique from you in PM, maybe album by album if you have time.

"Show signs of enhancement" generally means edits other than generally accepted for "journalism." And "journalism edits" generally include only the most basic of crop/rotation and minor things like maybe WB.
He was probably looking at them in the context of wired to them SOOC...

These "standards" are hugely variable... but if a large portion of your images rely on "artistic" edits then they probably saw it as "an inability to produce."

I can't really help with your question but I enjoyed browsing your Goodwood FoS gallery. Lovely images! :)

I think I shouldn't send pictures from flickr to magazines and editors, I should send it like I upload them to Alamy. No PP. :D

Thanks Drew

Lightroom or photoshop it doesn't matter 90% of your shots have been significantly altered from reality which is what he is getting at.

I see and I try to use less and less PP. Does white balance change count as PP? :)
Where is that part of the forum to ask people to critique albums, etc.

Where is that part of the forum to ask people to critique albums, etc.

If you want critique, select a couple of images and post them ON HERE not as a link to flickr, in the appropriate forum sections. We don't really DO critique on a full album of shots, primarily because if it takes 5-10 minutes per image to properly appraise a shot and write a critique, then it's really unfair to expect someone to devote half a day (unpaid) to critique a full album

If you do want a "overall vibe" comment on the complete set as well, then drop a link to your set in the actual critique thread at the bottom, but be prepared that most people will generally not be willing to click the link unless there is a better reason than just getting your "clickthrough numbers" higher. In short - give them a reason to click through by posting something interesting for critique first.

Back