Silly prices at the moment

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
I’m always on the lookout for a bargain , so looking through e.bay is something of a habit , but I also tend to match prices versus dealers prices .. I have recently noticed a trend where most e.bay prices ( not all ) are exceeding the dealers prices by large amounts .. this is either down to price not being researched properly , greed, or using sellers wanted prices as a baseline .. for example a olympus four thirds ( last generation pre MFT ) 40-150 went the other day for £15 but there’s another one on there boxed with hood etc. that’s being offered for £500 plus ..the mind boggles all I can say is caveat emptor

I’m always on the lookout for a bargain , so looking through e.bay is something of a habit , but I also tend to match prices versus dealers prices .. I have recently noticed a trend where most e.bay prices ( not all ) are exceeding the dealers prices by large amounts .. this is either down to price not being researched properly , greed, or using sellers wanted prices as a baseline .. for example a olympus four thirds ( last generation pre MFT ) 40-150 went the other day for £15 but there’s another one on there boxed with hood etc. that’s being offered for £500 plus ..the mind boggles all I can say is caveat emptor
I always see things like that as con artists out to exploit those who don't know, or are not careful in their buying.

They will usually be very careful in the description to make sure that it is exactly described as what it is, whist at the same time hinting something else.

In the last few weeks quite a few G80s have sold for around £200, yet there are those listing them for more than double!

In some cases they seem to want to leave the item listed but have little or no stock temporarily - so change the price to something outrageous.
But it always pays to check a few places it is not unusual for the makers home page to offer special deals better than anything else online.

I don't see what the problem is.
It's an offer to treat, if you don't like the offer, don't buy it.

There could be many reasons why the price is high. It could be that the seller genuinely has no idea of the value of the goods and is just looking for a price similar to what they paid, it could be that they are just taking a chance on somebody else not knowing the value of the goods and buying it at a higher price and as mentioned before, it could be that they are out of stock and don't want to loose the listing while waiting for new stock.

It's a bit like filling stations at the moment. Our local one is selling Diesel for £1.74p at the moment, another garage just up the road is £1.89. It's pointless moaning about it, I just fill up at the cheaper one.

Last edited:
It is best to always check what items have actually sold for recently on eBay, not just the asking price.
If you are not in a hurry bargains always come up.
Mind you I never sell on eBay, only buy.

It is best to always check what items have actually sold for recently on eBay, not just the asking price.
If you are not in a hurry bargains always come up.
Mind you I never sell on eBay, only buy.
Yes, I don't count asking prices as a guide, and if the item has a large number of completed auctions, I discount the highest and lowest 10% of the prices too.
And also very true, a bargain always come up.

Mind you, one item I waited 12 years for :)

Back