Simon Cowell would say this girl has "it"

Name
stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
what ever "it" is!!

She was an absolute delight to photograph and she is only 7...............

ZX6Z2573.jpg

ZX6Z2583.jpg

ZX6Z2591.jpg

ZX6Z2599.jpg

stew

Very pretty girl and great poses, I think however there is a little too much smoothing going on, the skin texture has been lost. I'm not sure why you would need to smooth the skin of such a young girl in the first place. Not a dig just an observation..

Very pretty girl and great poses, I think however there is a little too much smoothing going on, the skin texture has been lost. I'm not sure why you would need to smooth the skin of such a young girl in the first place. Not a dig just an observation..

as a commercial portrait photographer I do it because they sell like....hot cakes :D:D

stew

Oh OK...smooth away...lol

I'd agree with onform; a little too soft for me.

Also the vignette is a little to hard in #3

Lovely shots.... is that orton effect style post processing?

just looked th eorton style and yes I can see where you are coming from ;);)

just looked th eorton style and yes I can see where you are coming from ;);)

Sorry late reply. Just google it up and it will come up. Your pics really look like it. I'm a fan of the orton effect:).

Yep google sent me in the right direction. You are spot on, I use layers a lot and sharpen / soften them and then change the layer opacities until it all looks right.

Also a fan of using the eraser to allow lower layers through.

Well spotted

stew

I think the pics are spoilt by the PP. The images would have been fine/much better without it, particulary on a person so young. She's not exactly going to be full of wrinkles is she.

I think the pics are spoilt by the PP. The images would have been fine/much better without it, particulary on a person so young. She's not exactly going to be full of wrinkles is she.

everyone has a different idea Badger. This is the before shot compared to the after

ZX6Z2573_pre.jpg
ZX6Z2573.jpg

stew

everyone has a different idea Badger. This is the before shot compared to the after

ZX6Z2573_pre.jpg
ZX6Z2573.jpg

stew

Yes, I agree with you, and a little PP hardly ever hurt anyone, I just think its over done in this case.

It is only my opinion and I don't mean to sound like I'm having a go. Each to his own. That's the way it should be. :)

I'm also thinking it's slightly overdone with the smoothing...
It makes her look a bit surreal, and quite a lot like a doll in #3. Her head and body don't look together...

But then you know what sells :) And other than that I think they're brilliant!

Even with my opinion on the smoothing, #4 is a stunner! :D

artona in your example as to why you airbrushed her a new life she doesnt look bad atall abit of cloning of spots etc and your done, you can still convert to B&W and still have the look that shes real.

I find the various opinions on this interesting, thanks for making them

stew

Personally, I'd be a little uneasy about having my child's photos from a private session posted on the web. That said, I love the B&W images. I'm not a fan of the colour ones personally, but that's just my taste. It looks a little like she's been painted in acrylics whilst wearing heavy makeup. As long as the parents like that style, that's all that matters. Nobody should push their own aesthetic tastes on others. It certainly makes a pleasant change from these unimaginative high key blown-out white background portraits which seem to have been all that was on offer for the past 5 years or so. A bit like white bathroom suites...

Personally, I'd be a little uneasy about having my child's photos from a private session posted on the web.

:shrug:

Why :thinking:

Anyways onto the pictures - she looks adorable and very at ease in front of the camera, but feel that she looks a little 'unreal' due to the smoothing (but again only an opinion - if it sells that go for it :D)

:shrug:

Why :thinking:

Anyways onto the pictures - she looks adorable and very at ease in front of the camera, but feel that she looks a little 'unreal' due to the smoothing (but again only an opinion - if it sells that go for it :D)

Because it was a private session. In the same way that I might be unhappy if the photographer posted her image in his front window, catalogue or website without permission. Or if my wife was (god forbid) having glamour shots taken and heavily post-processed - it's not something you necessarily want stuck up in a public place. Street photography is one thing, but a paid-for private sitting is something else. If you're paying for something, you want to retain control of who sees it.

Hey, call me crazy, but I think there's something to be said for client confidentiality. It was just a passing comment. I don't want to start a forum war over it.

But has stew said that he has posted these without permission?

I see where you're coming from, and i would agree regarding client confidentiality, but whenever i take pictures, i usually ask if its ok if i post them up. I've only been refused once and it turned out the person concerned was under a protection order so i was in total agreement in that case :)

I like these, but personally I find the processing overdone - she looks plastic. The shots are perfectly good enough on their own not to 'need' processing to improve them. I'd have gone for more subtle effects personally :)

Back