Simple

Nice shot John I like the muted colours and it is nice and sharp, I would prefer a bit more space top and bottom of shot though.

Nice shot John I like the muted colours and it is nice and sharp, I would prefer a bit more space top and bottom of shot though.

Sharp? This photograph is obviously way out of focus. Sorry, but it is. I'm flabbergasted that this could be described as sharp.

Sharp? This photograph is obviously way out of focus. Sorry, but it is. I'm flabbergasted that this could be described as sharp.

I agree its is a little soft- maybe a faster shutter speed or smaller aperture would have helped here, nice composition though and the BG works wee, Maybe a re-shoot is in order

Les ;)

You'll find some people troll the unanswered posts and fire up a 'nice' comment without really giving an honest crit, I suppose to boost their Post count. It's of no real help to anyone:rolleyes:

I'm on me work computer so I can't see the particular image in this Thread so can't comment on it's sharpness at the moment.

I'd agree it's a tad soft but it doesn't detract too much from what's a pleasing image.

You'll find some people troll the unanswered posts and fire up a 'nice' comment without really giving an honest crit, I suppose to boost their Post count. It's of no real help to anyone:rolleyes:

I'm on me work computer so I can't see the particular image in this Thread so can't comment on it's sharpness at the moment.

Brash, you're probably right. It's a pity that bluntness and honesty are not encouraged so much on here. I'm a graphic designer and it's been many years since I took any sort of rejection badly... I do remember when I first started though and rejection of designs hurt a bit but I came through that with the view that harsh experiences like that are very useful in terms of learning and evolving.

Brash, you're probably right. It's a pity that bluntness and honesty are not encouraged so much on here. I'm a graphic designer and it's been many years since I took any sort of rejection badly... I do remember when I first started though and rejection of designs hurt a bit but I came through that with the view that harsh experiences like that are very useful in terms of learning and evolving.

Agreed. Bluntness and honesty are often decried as 'rude':rolleyes:. Happens all the time. People seem to crave and give kiss arse comments when on a lot of occasions the subject clearly doesn't deserve such. Dummy's get spat all the time. Hey ho.

Pixel peeping the largest available size on Flickr shows pretty obtrusive chromatic aberration which has made the shot look a lot softer than it is, even on the much smaller size as posted here. On top of that, the petals are also almost completely blown as far as exposure goes, although the stems and leaf buds are close. Difficult to get the balance of exposure right with pure white flowers - do you get the petals correct or the stems? Personally, I aim for the petals to have some detail left in since they're the stars of the show.

Good evening, nod. Personally I don't like the composition and think sharpness is a low ranking problem in this particular case. I was drawn to comment by others who credited it with sharpness which to my mind is just bizarre.

Regarding your particular question, this is a common enough issue and partly explains why someone clever decided to invent HDR which I'm not a great fan of. In this case though, if it was me, I'd expose for the petals and consider adjusting the stems in post.

Back