Single point in nature - if you don't like shallow depth of field then don't look

ancient_mariner

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
Very artfully done I like them, and you don't have to walk miles for the little details. The only crit to my mind is the first one, it seems the main focus of the image is out of focus. Of course to you the light coloured stone was not not the main focus, all a matter of opinion. Thank you, it's got me thinking about this kind of image now.

Thanks Andy, glad you like 'em and I appreciate the comment. The main focus in the first is the splash where the waterflowed over a rock - plainly I partially missed with that one!

I do find the light coloured stone in 1 & 4 tends to draw my eye away from the focal point :(. I do like these. I feel that in a way everything is in focus since it’s seems all to be recognisable for what it is and the focussed subject doesn’t dominate, if that makes any kind of sense :).

I really like the concept but like others have said the rocks draw your eye away from the intended subject, I find myself almost searching for it.
I think a subject with more separation would work well, or an even shallower DOF, or maybe even some clever editing to help draw you to the subject straight away.

I do find the light coloured stone in 1 & 4 tends to draw my eye away from the focal point :(. I do like these. I feel that in a way everything is in focus since it’s seems all to be recognisable for what it is and the focussed subject doesn’t dominate, if that makes any kind of sense :).

Thanks Richard, yes, that makes sense. It's a little different from shooting a portrait for separation, since the 'subjects' here are completely a part of their surroundings and the shallow dof is just there to inform the eye where to look.

I really like the concept but like others have said the rocks draw your eye away from the intended subject, I find myself almost searching for it.
I think a subject with more separation would work well, or an even shallower DOF, or maybe even some clever editing to help draw you to the subject straight away.

As pointed out, the brightest parts of the image can draw the eye more strongly than the section of greatest detail & sharpness. In a way, I'm not sure it matters too much provided the images remain harmonious, but it's a very good point that more care needs to be taken identifying and isolating subjects.

Cool idea - but I think you really need to go with a less cluttered scene - think a flower with a thrown out of focus back drop - or a woodland scene with one tree in focus, with the others all out of focus

Back