Skateboarders

onikami

Suspended / Banned
Name
Sir Oni
Edit My Images
Yes
I took some basic snaps of skateboarders today. Used photo software to deepen and draw out the colours. Pretty basic, I know. What you guys think? Crap? Okish? Nothing special?

talk1.jpg

talk6.jpg

talk2.jpg

talk5.jpg

talk3.jpg

talk4.jpg

I like the set on the whole, good clear captures, nice colours etc. I think there's something lacking in a lot of the composition of the shots though. Perhaps try a bit of cropping to resolve this and focus the eye more?

I like the set on the whole, good clear captures, nice colours etc. I think there's something lacking in a lot of the composition of the shots though. Perhaps try a bit of cropping to resolve this and focus the eye more?

Thanks dave. What do you mean by lacking composition? Do you mean cutting out some details? If someone could take one of my pics and tamper with it to give me an example, that would be great.

Exactly what you've said. In some of them - take #2 there's lots of 'space' in the picture, but the eye is not necessarily drawn to the boarder - particularly with the vibrant wall, so you need to do a little cropping to pull the focus. I'm useless and am not sure how you edit a pic off of here, otherwise I'd happily have a crack for you. Someone will I'm sure.

Exactly what you've said. In some of them - take #2 there's lots of 'space' in the picture, but the eye is not necessarily drawn to the boarder - particularly with the vibrant wall, so you need to do a little cropping to pull the focus. I'm useless and am not sure how you edit a pic off of here, otherwise I'd happily have a crack for you. Someone will I'm sure.

cheers! to edit, try right clicking the picture and "save as".

Strangely enough it's #5 and #6, the no-action shots that do it for me, I think it's the fact that there's also some background activity and therefore the opportunity to interpret more into the scene.... oh and the subject is also quite interesting in a geeky kinda way :geek: :LOL:
Nice colourful shots (y)

Strangely enough it's #5 and #6, the no-action shots that do it for me, I think it's the fact that there's also some background activity and therefore the opportunity to interpret more into the scene.... oh and the subject is also quite interesting in a geeky kinda way :geek: :LOL:
Nice colourful shots (y)

Thats why I kept an eye on him. I liked his geeky look and the top he was wearing went great with the colourful background and bright graffitti

talk7.jpg

With boarding shots, try sticking a wide-ish lens on and getting in close. It can look great if timed well.

Out of those, #3's probably my favourite.

will keep it in mind. cheers.

OK. I've tried it myself and here is the result.

talk10.jpg

That crop is too close to my eyes. Can't see where he has come from or where he is going. The key to skate shots is trying to get the board as it levels out, and the other main "Tip" is try to show where they have been and where they are going. That is the "key" point to try and capture with ollies.

Low angles are always popular, but just experiment and see what happens. It isn't easy, but just practice.

Last edited:
You're right. I printed the pic out and it does feel too close. Will work on it.

Generally agree about cropping, particularly as the skateboarder is too central in the frame, conversely, I find one and two a bit tight at the top, not enough empty space.

Out of them all, No3 works best.

Difficult subject, you have done well.

My favourites are number 1 and 5.. I'm pretty new here though so still earning lots! But I enjoyed your pics thank you

Back