Sky Hub dropping connection

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
So here is my problem. I currently have all my entertainment boxes in one tall unit, these are Blu-Ray, Sky HD Box, AppleTV, Networked Drive, Xbox 360, PS3, Sky Hub & my Sony Surround sound system. I keep them all together because most of them connect to the internet and its just more convenient that way. Now before I had the sky hub my old sky router would often drop the internet connection when ever I switched on one of the boxes such as the 360 or the blu-ray player but it would then reconnect after about 30 secs and then everything was fine, it was a nuisance but bearable. In the last few weeks sky has sent me out a new black hub to replace my old sagem router and its still dropping when I switch on a unit but now its not reconnecting at all i have to physically use the reset button to get it to connect again. Even worse is that it is constantly doing it when I have the sky box switched on which pretty much makes on demand unusable. Any one any suggestions on this it really is becoming a pain. There's no crackle on phone line and my router stats are Line Attenuation 16/9 and noise margin 7/14

is the router actually rebooting or just dropping the connection?

if it does it when you power on another device id say there is a large amount of interference going on there somewhere.

if its rebooting the router id look at anti-surge power cords. if its dropping the connection then moving the router. at the very least swap the microfilter and try and get the telephone cable away from the other devices/power cables.

typically routers do not like any interference. if two different routers are having the same problem, thats what id say it is. whether its power and/or line interference is going to take a bit of troubleshooting.

is the router actually rebooting or just dropping the connection?

if it does it when you power on another device id say there is a large amount of interference going on there somewhere.

Its dropping the connection it does it every time I switch something on.
if its rebooting the router id look at anti-surge power cords. if its dropping the connection then moving the router. at the very least swap the microfilter and try and get the telephone cable away from the other devices/power cables.
I changed the microfilter with one of new ones that came with the new box but it still dropping. Its definitely when I switch one of the other units on because when i get up in the morning the router is still connected at the moment when the router drops connection it doesn't reconnect at all!
typically routers do not like any interference. if two different routers are having the same problem, that's what id say it is. whether its power and/or line interference is going to take a bit of troubleshooting.
Thanks for that Neil will try and move the telephone wire away from the other wires and see if that improves it

Last edited:
there must be power spike when you switch something on to create enough interference for the noise threshold to increase enough for a drop.

if you can, relocate the telephone cable. all else fails try moving the router temporarily and see if it drops.

our house is a bit bad for lights dimming when you have the oven and hoover on too, dont know if you see anything similar?

Have you got homeplug devices anywhere?

It is not normal for the adsl line to drop when something is switched on. If you switch on anything else that doesn't have network ability does that make the router freeze? It could be a bug in the router that every time a new device shows up it hangs. If non networked devices being switched on make it drop then I'd be concerned there is something major wrong with the wiring as I've had routers sat next to DECT phones and all sorts and they've always been fine.

Are the devices you are switching on wired/wireless or a mix of both?

Have you got homeplug devices anywhere?

It is not normal for the adsl line to drop when something is switched on. If you switch on anything else that doesn't have network ability does that make the router freeze? It could be a bug in the router that every time a new device shows up it hangs. If non networked devices being switched on make it drop then I'd be concerned there is something major wrong with the wiring as I've had routers sat next to DECT phones and all sorts and they've always been fine.

Are the devices you are switching on wired/wireless or a mix of both?
All wired devices except for the Sony amp and all in close proximity, meant to add I have an Apple time capsule connected to the Sky router and some devices use the time capsules ports. It always used to happen with the old router when I switched on the Xbox or ps3 and I assumed it was because of the connectivity but I was without internet connection to the xbox for a while, no Ethernet cable, and it still used to drop out. To be honest I didnt mind too much cos it would be back on in less than a minute but now when this router drops connection it doesnt come back unless I reset it. Also its started to do it with the sky box on which as I said in a previous post makes on demand/catch up impossible.

As the problem arose with the new SKY Hub, have you contacted SKY with your problem, might by a faulty Hub?

You say all of the device are wired. How many ports does your router have?
As they normally only have 4, can I assume you are also using a switch?

If so, have you tried eliminating that as a problem?

Oops, just read you are also using a time capsule.
Have you tried removing this from the network?
Is it configured correctly ( ie bridge mode with DHCP disabled)

I'd also usually try to work out what is causing the problem. So disconnect all devices and re-connect to router one by one to see which one triggers the fault. Then swap over the router port you're using for that device to see if the issue is the device or the router. If there's no joy from that, I'd start switching out the connectors, so spare ethernet cables and see if they make any difference. Finally, if you have an old router and can re-configure it, swapping that might work.

Back