SKY Replacement

Bullysrus

Suspended / Banned
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
So was just wondering what you all used instead of paying the high SKY price

Very tempted to ditch Sky and just use Freeview. We watch very little of the Sky content we pay for so it's a pretty poor way to spend the money!

When I had Sky, I only watched Mash and Frasier programmes other than the top few (BBC and ITV)

All of the other 1000+ programmes were of little interest and full of crummy adverts..................

Much the same as Freeview without the cost............................

We got rid of Sky years ago, but then neither of us watch much telly anyway.

We have a media PC connected to our TV which has Freeview, Netflix and Amazon Prime on it. Probably use Netflix the most, then YouTube.

I gave up with SKY as it was overpriced for what we used it for.
Went the freeview route.
Beam to Google Chromecast for BT sport from my tablet

Thanks, I watch various, plus Sports and Movies

I currently pay £92 a month, wanted to upgrade to SKY Q, but they wanted to charge me £149 install cost.

Go for Now TV; There are frequently offers on. I use the new Apple TV and pay currently £0 for Sky Entertainment (managed to get it free with my Vodafone contract, normally 6 ish but negotiable) and the Movie package (£4.99 but normally round about 9 unless you get an offer)

I'm happy with that, and you can upgrade for sky sports.

We gave up sky years ago,we have our freeview & also our freesat channels,enough for us.:):banana:

Just ditched sky - not worth £1000/year. Top tip for anyone that still has sky, call them and threaten to ditch. They'll give you a 33% off offer.

Netflix, Prime and Freesat more than enough

I kicked live TV to the kerb about 10 years ago and certainly don't miss the crap!

I have a 40" HD TV and buy DVDs off Ebay and Amazon then re-sell them back on Ebay so it's very cheap to watch them or even free!

I can also watch all the series with no interruptions or adverts etc.

Like Game of thrones, Bates Motel, Person of Interest, NCIS and hundreds of others all at very little price.

And I have a dongle for my internet - quite cheap and really slow but perfect for what I do.

Like reading the news and coming on here :)

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with Now TV to be honest. Some cracking movies on there as it's run by Sky, and loads of entertainment channels too. Get all the decent shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead etc and it's £15 a month at most, even less if you get offers. I have Netflix too which I was going to cancel (it's great until once you've watched most of the decent shows), but now that they've announced the new Star Trek is going to be on Netflix it looks like I'm keeping it! :D

After years with Sky, I pulled the plug this month.
You're right you can't replace sky but then again why would you want to. For the past few years, it's been the same old crap regurgitated over and over.

We found ourselves very rarely switching to a sky channel and mostly watch BBC and Netflix.

Netflix and Amozon Prime, suits me for most of my interests.(y)

I've never seen the need to pay for Sky, I guess if you're watching a couple of premiership matches every weekend and three movies a week it might work out worthwhile.

Netflix and prime here, since moving living room around not even sky box for free channels, use catch up if there is something specific I want to see

Had thought about getting now tv back but the thing that puts me off is the deleting episodes of box sets

The amount of people I know who cancelled Sky and returned later. You can't replace it and that probably explains the price.
LOL yes I've done that three times now.

Can't go wrong with Now TV to be honest. Some cracking movies on there as it's run by Sky, and loads of entertainment channels too. Get all the decent shows like Game of Thrones and Walking Dead etc and it's £15 a month at most, even less if you get offers. I have Netflix too which I was going to cancel (it's great until once you've watched most of the decent shows), but now that they've announced the new Star Trek is going to be on Netflix it looks like I'm keeping it! :D

Problem is that it's not full HD, and that would bother me.

You may need to check out an Amazon Fire Stick converted with Kodi, I don't have this (yet) myself but it's a cheap £34.99 one off payment it seems and you'll receive hundreds and hundreds of channels apparently.

You may need to check out an Amazon Fire Stick converted with Kodi, I don't have this (yet) myself but it's a cheap £34.99 one off payment it seems and you'll receive hundreds and hundreds of channels apparently.
Yes, hundreds of channels from Bahrain and Macedonia.

...all over the world really. Seems popular with those who wish to watch the US series when they come out, rather than wait a month/6 weeks for them to be shown over here.
Most /all of the latest released movies in HD are on there, good place to watch film series through providers like cosmos.

Live mix shows all sky sports channles, BT sport, although in SD, but handy if you're on holiday with wifi access but no sport. Also works on mobile devices.

Rather than the firestick, I have one of the fully loaded kodi mini tv boxes (think apple tv size) £42 with remote and keyboard. Can work over your wifi, but also has the option to connect a network cable.

Just ditched sky - not worth £1000/year. Top tip for anyone that still has sky, call them and threaten to ditch. They'll give you a 33% off offer.

Netflix, Prime and Freesat more than enough

We had 50% off for the first year so the full package inc sports was like £34 quid which is decent.

Our first year is coming to an end so I called up, said I was leaving and boom. 50% off for year two.

I have a KODI jail broken box - the quality is not good - on my 55" Panasonic plasma, but it's better than nothing for watching some of the sports I refuse to pay Murdoch for.

I have a KODI jail broken box - the quality is not good - on my 55" Panasonic plasma, but it's better than nothing for watching some of the sports I refuse to pay Murdoch for.

I have the same for the bedroom as I rarely watch TV up there but it's handy to have it. Like you said, the quality is not the best but its watchable. Plus the sources seem to go offline sometimes so it's not 100% reliable.

I think £35 a month for Sky with Sports is worth paying for the main TV in the lounge but I won't be paying double that next year, I will haggle again or leave.

We have sky plus and have had the same box for about 4 years. It's on the brink and sky want £53 a month without phone and Internet and then they want £99 for a new box!

I can cancel, get the same package for £44 and then £53 after 6 months, a free new box, a free 32" TV and £120 cashback on quidco!

That makes it around £42.50 a month on average over the year because of cashback and then there's the new box that we don't need to pay for and a free TV that can either be sold or stored for a rainy day.

The retentions team at Sky are useless. No concept of how to effectively run a business. Give me a new box and a tenner off my bill and as a company they will save money!! There's no wonder Netflix and prime are taking the entertainment market by storm!

There's no wonder Netflix and prime are taking the entertainment market by storm!

One thing I have noticed with Netflix and Amazon Prime is that every film I want to watch isn't on there. I know that's just down to my taste in films but a lot of the films I chose to watch are top box office titles such as the Harry Potter films. They are available on Netflix in other countries though :(

One thing I have noticed with Netflix and Amazon Prime is that every film I want to watch isn't on there. I know that's just down to my taste in films but a lot of the films I chose to watch are top box office titles such as the Harry Potter films. They are available on Netflix in other countries though :(

I can access Netflix US from my laptop at home, probably the other locations as well.

Reason being, Sky get movies 12 mths before anyone in UK can show them

I'm happy with Prime and iPlayer on a Fire TV box. I don't want live TV again. It seems weird to me now, to have the concept of "missing" a show. Or making sure I'm sitting there at a specific time.

I'm now so used to watching what I want, when I want. I might even have several shows paused at one time. If it's getting late, or other family members want the TV, I'll pause my show and come back to it another time/day. And I can see which shows I've already watched, and on Prime, how far I'm through each episode.

What I would like is multiple users, so each family member can keep their own favourites. And have separate users progress bars. If we watch the same show but at different times, we can pause independently. And see which episode each of us is up to. Like the 4 colours on some systems.

I added Kodi to the Fire TV box for fun. Kodi is another whole world of TV. But some stuff looks dodgy.

I don't want live TV again. It seems weird to me now, to have the concept of "missing" a show. Or making sure I'm sitting there at a specific time.

I'm now so used to watching what I want, when I want. I might even have several shows paused at one time. If it's getting late, or other family members want the TV, I'll pause my show and come back to it another time/day. And I can see which shows I've already watched, and on Prime, how far I'm through each episode.

Have you not head of Sky+?

If it's an on demand system, that would be ok if it's not horribly expensive like £20/month. Or requires a huge satellite dish. Or is not available in my area.

Last edited:
If it's an on demand system, that would do. If it's not horribly expensive. But it might require a huge satellite dish. Or is not available in my area. .

Minidishes arrived with the launch of Sky Digital in 1998. They are quite small.

Minidishes arrived with the launch of Sky Digital in 1998. They are quite small.
That depends on where you live. I think I'd need a 1m dish or bigger.

But it's a crazy price anyway. Which is why the OP wants to get away from Sky. At least 5 times what I'm paying!

Last edited:
Back