Skye Suggestions

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but couldn't see anywhere more suitable?

I'm planning on visiting Skye next month and while I've done quite a bit of googling for locations I haven't really come up with a definitive list.

I've been informed that the fuel up there is extortionate and anywhere you camp your usually at least an 80 mile round trip from a good photography location.

Does anyone know any good camp sites on the Island thats likely to be open in October?

Does anyone know any particularly photogenic mountain walks that won't involve me ending up on the Cullin Ridge (Crib Goch is my limit!) and any of the mountain walks good for sunset/sunrise but easy to get up/down in the dark?

What other classic or maybe not so classic locations should I be visiting? Neist point, Elgol have already been pointed out....

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi James. There are a few campsites around but they are quite spread out. As some of the more dramatic areas are on the east coast and southern half, then portree and sligachan are not bad spots (the portree campsite is a bit sterile but great if you're heading up to the quiriang and trotnish). Sligachan has the hotel by it which is a climbing institution and always a great atmosphere.

Glen brittle is good for access the the northern cullins but is a dead end and if you're not heading up high, could be limiting for low level shots.

Do bear in mind that the access to land and camping rights is different to England too. Unless otherwise stated (i.e. a no camping sign nailed to a tree or something), camping is generally permitted as the law is in a state of balance: you have no 'right' to camp but at the same time no one has the 'right' to move you... It's designed to force compromise. However, damage the landscape or create an issue and then trespass law that everyone is familiar with kicks in. Basically, drive down a small road, if there's a decent spot near the road (and no sign) the just go for it. no toilets or showers though! :)

Hi James,

Suggestion:
When you cross the bridge from Kyle of Lochalsh, assuming you are heading that way, at the roundabout TURN LEFT and spend a couple of hours exploring in Kyleakin. Some great photo-ops down at the old ferry terminal with Castle Caol and up the stream behind the houses for some heron spotting. If you are feeling energetic, take a walk uphill across the bridge to the top of the hill for some great views of the Skye bridge and surrounding areas - can be a wee bit wet underfoot up there though.

The rest of Skye is just wonderful and remember to visit Grumpy George for a wee chat and a cup of tea (or something stronger).

Whatever, Enjoy!

Another vote for Kyleakin and also Kylerhea and the road to Armadale. Most people go right, understandable, but there are also some beautiful places at the far south of the island.

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch
Elgol (Cuillin Views)
Ord (Cuillin Views)
Tokavaig (Cuillin Views)
Loch Slapin nr Torrin (Bla Bheinn Views)
Claigan Coral Beaches
The Quirang
The Storr
Neist Point
Fairy Pools (Glen Brittle)
Camasunary (walk over)

Loads of places really but the above are all well known without undertaking an expedition. Small as it may be - like much of the Highlands - Skye can take longer to get around than you may think so whilst there's loads of amazing locations - you can soon find yourself dashing around like a headless chicken getting the light and time of day all wrong.

Last edited:
Phil has given a list of excellent places but his last sentence is spot on.

It is very easy to miss everything by trying to see everything.

Only thing I'd add is have a look at this (free for PCs)

http://photoephemeris.com/

It gives the the times and directions of sunrise and sunset (and moonrise and moonset) for any day.

Dave

Just back from Skye, James. You will love it, a wonderful place to take pics. Just a shame I have no experience with landscapes! Need to edit mine and will put them up later.

I stayed at Sligachan which was cool, fab pub 200 yards up the road with lots of friendly walkers, climbers, campers etc.. Also stayed in the campsite in Dunvegan much further up north, was also very nice and friendly.

I found this site very helpful when looking for campsites, the reviews were spot on for all of them..

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

And if you stay at Sligachen this time of year then hopefully the midges will be dying out. I was there in late July and I lasted 2 days. It was unreal!

Take the boat trips out of Elgol for the culin landscapes and deffinately do the boat trip out of Portree to see the Sea Eagles.

Found this website useful when we went up there last year:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/

Can't comment on campsites as we went self catering. But it was VERY cheap compared to some of the other islands. This is the link, if you're interested: http://www.kilbride-self-catering.co.uk/

We covered most of the island when we went. You don't have to drive far for stunning scenery....it's everywhere!

We've ended up booking the self catering. It works out like £20 more than camping so thought may as well, cheers for the link.

Anyone got any good locations for high up? Blaven and Sgurr na Stri look good bets!

Yes - Sgurr na Stri has some epic views into Loch Coruisk and is a fairly modest climb.

Yes to Blaven too and the main peak of Sgurr nan Gillean is straight forward if your used to getting your hands out of your pockets.

I went to sky a couple of years ago on trip with guy who runs small holidays in Scotland & Portugal, the years of knowledge meant he new where and when to go on sky in autumn or spring which are the times he does his trips around different parts of Scotland.

One thing I Learnt was; knowing the places to go is great but know the right time to be there is a key factor. I would check where the sun is going to be on any you choose to go to. Also have a backup if it rains, as it can do and not so easy to shoot if rains hard.

All where taken in early October we went to following some of which may have already be mentioned

Ullinish point (sunset)
Bride’s Veil Waterfall
The Quiraing (Sunrise) probably the most famous spot on skye
Sligachan

I'm afraid I can't find the rest of places we went to.

The classic list would probably be:
Storr
Quiraing
Elgol
Fairy Pools (Coire Na Creiche)
Sligachan
Neist Point

All of them are heavily photographed. Mountains are the way to go, Coruisk looks like a great bet. I had planned on Blaven when I went, but the weather wasnt good enough. Enjoy!

A good wet weather option is to walk from Elgol to Loch Coruisk along the coast.
The Cuillins seem even more impressive in bad weather; especially viewed at close quarters from this route. Bad Step is a lot of fun!
I arranged the return trip on the tourist boat which was a great finish to the day, especially once I discovered that in addition to cups of tea, they also serve whisky.

For a good day out on the mountains
Blaven and Sgurr na Stri - yes!
But it is possible to get onto the Cuillin ridge without climbing skills, just not go very far along it...
The feeling on the main ridge is like nothing else I've experienced in the UK; utterly intimidating. Worth sampling if you can do so safely.
Sgurr Nan Gillian already mentioned, gets my vote too.
But also look at Sgurr Dearg from Glenbrittle. This route provides easy access to the Inaccessible Pinnacle so you can watch mad mountaineers ascending its back and abseiling off the top next to the abyss down to Loch Coruisk

Have a great trip :)

We've ended up booking the self catering. It works out like £20 more than camping so thought may as well, cheers for the link.

Glad to be of some help. They're lovely people and the house is great.

While you're there, make sure you walk the 1 mile to the beach. We saw more wildlife down there than anywhere else on the island, including loads of Gannets, seals and an otter. And the scenery down there is lovely. There's also a great walk around the coastline.

Yes - Sgurr na Stri has some epic views into Loch Coruisk and is a fairly modest climb.

Yes to Blaven too and the main peak of Sgurr nan Gillean is straight forward if your used to getting your hands out of your pockets.

Sgurr nan Gillean looks mental! Looks perhaps beyond me. I've done Crib Goch twice but never leading and this looks even worse!

Back