Slide and Negative scanner

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Has anyone got any recommendations for a film and slide scanner? My mums got hundreds of these and we want to convert them to digital for her.Been busy on google and Plustek keeps appearing as a fairy good and reasonably priced make. Has anyone got any experience of these? Thanks Steve

I've got a Plustek 8200i and it seems to do a reasonable job....certainly a step up from my ancient Minolta SCSI driven monstrosity. I'm sure there are better things out there if money isn't a restriction.

Bob

The last time I looked, Plustek is the only company still making dedicated slide and negative scanners, since Nikon stopped doing the Coolscan. This doesn't include all the cheap and nasty things advertised in the back of the Daily Mail :nono:

I can't understand why there is such a lack of makes to choose from - there must be a demand for serious amateurs and pro's wanting to scan negs and slides at high quality? :thinking:

Anyways, to answer the OP's question - I have a Plustek OpticFilm 7600i, which came with Silverfast v6 software. I paid around €50 to upgrade to Silverfast v8. I've used it to scan and restore some old family slides, some of which were very badly faded with strong colour casts and/or underexposed.

What I've found out the hard way is that scanning with the Silverfast software set to auto everything only tends to give the best results with perfectly exposed slides or negs. If you want to rescue poor quality originals without sacrificing shadow detail, you need to be scanning in HDR mode - this is the equivalent of shooting in RAW on a DSLR - the scanner does a double-pass to enhance dynamic range and outputs the raw scan data without any attempt to process it. What you typically end up with is a very dark TIF file. To manipulate this you need to use Silverfast's HDR software (at £100+ it's not cheap).

It is possible to use Photoshop to convert a HDR TIF file from Silverfast into a finished scan, and I've figured out a workflow that gives excellent results. Basically it involves applying Adobe RGB colour space to the TIF, then doing auto levels and increasing the midtone slider. For Kodachrome slides you need to dial in some yellow to counteract the slightly cool colour tint (about +15 does the trick), otherwise greens tend to look a bit turqoisey. Bear in mind that I'm doing this without any fancy colour calibration software - I'm just holding the slide up to the light and seeing wheher the overall colour balance matches what I'm seeing on the screen!

Scanning slides and negs at a decent resolution is time-consuming, and fine-tuning colour balance and contrast for each photo does take a bit of time, not to mention cleaning up dirt and scratches. If you scan at the maximum 7200 dpi you'll end up with enormous files (far in excess of DSLR RAW files in terms of file-size unless you're using a D800 :D ) that take ages to scan. I scan at 2400 dpi which is much quicker and still gives large files which are good for enlargements up to A3 or so. You'll probably find yourself scanning and restoring the best shots rather than doing the whole lot, which will take a long time if we're talking hundreds of slides/negs :)

A.

Last edited:
It's a thankless task. Get them done commercially - might even be cheaper too. For larger numbers, consider sending them to somewhere like India.

If the end use is just screen use and/or smallish prints, a flatbed scanner with a film hood will do a good enough job for most people. Not as good as a dedicated film scanner but plenty good enough for most purposes. As Hoppy has pointed out, it's a long, boring job to do loads at a time, so it may well be worth looking into getting them done commercially if there are a lot of them - when Dad went digital and wanted to convert his old shots, he went through them and was fairly ruthless in his culling/selection of the ones he really wanted. There were still quite a few (about 200 IIRC) but out of many thousands of slides/negs.

Are we talking 35mm? If so a dedicated film scanner would be the best.

It WILL be time consuming ... seriously so if you'll be trying to perfect the results.

Secondhand items of good quality are out there (eg Nikon) but there might well be issues with their bundled scan software running on newer operating systems (eg Windows beyond XP).

Did 300 wedding photos on a Plustek 7200. Took 2 weeks, then a further 2 weeks to get the dust spots off. Not recommended!

Currently use an old Minolta Scan Dual III which is about on par with the Plustek but sloooooow.

Thanks for all the replies people! Certainly some varied opinions . I was thinking of viewing the slides before scanning them ie weeding out the ones not worth converting - so I'm thinking that speed is not massively important- therefore the Plustek 8100 looks a reasonable machine to go for - anyone got one?

Thanks again Steve

Reflecta also make dedicated 35mm slide/neg scanners and in my opinion the Reflecta Crystalscan 7200 (roughly the same as the Plustek 8100 but also includes infrared scratch and dust reduction [digital ICE]) and Proscan 7200 (similar to the 8200i) are much better overall for a slightly higher price. I have a Proscan 7200 and it gives fantastic results.

This site linked below is a very useful resource for scanners as it really intensively tests each scanner and gives great technical overview:

Reflecta Crystalscan 7200 review: http://www.filmscanner.info/en/ReflectaCrystalScan7200.html

Plustek 8100: http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm8100.html

Reflecta Proscan 7200: http://www.filmscanner.info/en/ReflectaProScan7200.html

Plustek 8200i: http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm8200i.html

i have the Epson 4490, after some teething problems (no holder, got it off ebay cheap) it's great. people bid more on the V500 but the 4490 is great.

Some images

Jc6z4tE.jpg
[/IMG]
vDyXO46.jpg

8FJChL1.jpg

tPVe1Mb.jpg

Last edited:
Back