Slow going the last week or so..

Excellent shots, I always thought mosquitoes had wings that were longer than their body - obviously not

I dropped my camera and busted my Sigma Ring Flash. I closed the car boot on my Canon MT 24-EX about a year ago too. So, I'm now flashless.

Gonna invest in a constant light LED Macro ring light and a Yongnuo Ring flash soon. Can't afford to replace the Sigma and Canon like for like.

Excellent shots, I always thought mosquitoes had wings that were longer than their body - obviously not

This ID was one suggested by someone on iSpot. My first thought was a midge of some kind. I have no clue in this area to be honest.

I dropped my camera and busted my Sigma Ring Flash. I closed the car boot on my Canon MT 24-EX about a year ago too. So, I'm now flashless.

Gonna invest in a constant light LED Macro ring light and a Yongnuo Ring flash soon. Can't afford to replace the Sigma and Canon like for like.

Ouch, I dream of getting an MT24 tbh.

Was there a reason for mentioning it in this thread though? I'm afraid I might have missed the connection, I'm being a little slow today all round though so it could be me!

These are awesome Mark... have you shared a pic of your setup can't remember... lighting is excellent especially in #1

Dont bother with ring led light... Yongnuo ring flash has focus light though you will need to fashion some diffusion I can advise if you need a solution when you get it.

These are awesome Mark... have you shared a pic of your setup can't remember... lighting is excellent especially in #1

Dont bother with ring led light... Yongnuo ring flash has focus light though you will need to fashion some diffusion I can advise if you need a solution when you get it.

Cheers Bryn. These were all just with the 100mm with Raynox and a mini softbox on YN568 on the camera. Light was fading and I was just having a wander round the garden to see what was about.

Mosquito larva are my next challenge with the proper lens. Got this shot a couple of years ago, with the 100mm, as my one to beat. The larva were on the surface of the water in a pink trug, I'm going to try to be a bit cleverer this time....

wiggly wigglers... by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

I'll use the diffusion system I have for the Sigma. What's wrong with the ring lights?

I've never used one, always used the Sigma or Canon Macro flashes. For £25 I think they'll be worth a stab. No use for the MPE-65 close distance stuff but should be fine with the 105mm on 5D MKII at slightly higher ISO.

Nice set of images I love the mosquito shots.

I'll use the diffusion system I have for the Sigma. What's wrong with the ring lights?

I've never used one, always used the Sigma or Canon Macro flashes. For £25 I think they'll be worth a stab. No use for the MPE-65 close distance stuff but should be fine with the 105mm on 5D MKII at slightly higher ISO.

What I have read about the LED lights is they do not put out enough power.

Nice set of images I love the mosquito shots.

What I have read about the LED lights is they do not put out enough power.

Yeh, I've read that too but with a decent body which copes with noise well at a higher ISO I think it's worth a punt.

Yeh, I've read that too but with a decent body which copes with noise well at a higher ISO I think it's worth a punt.

For the money why not?

Back