SLR in a football stadium

Name
Dayle
Edit My Images
Yes
I've checked on the website and the official stance is that no audio/visual recording equipment can be brought into the ground.

Is this really the case? it's a league two game and I genuinely didn't think it would be a problem, in fact the only reason I bought the ticket was to take some shots.

Is this rule likely to enforced ? Will I face ejection ? Does this mean I can't take my phone also (it is capable of recording high resolution video)

Failing that how much would a 'press pass' be ? I already have my ticket now :/

They don't mind point and shoots but if they think there is the slightest chance you are a pro they'll not let you in with a DSLR.

Best thing to do is phone them.

You're unlikely to be searched going in, but if you're spotted using it, then you're likely to attract the attention of the stewards, especially if you've got a big lens on it. They don't seem to be bothered in my experinece by compacts and phones, but if you stand by the hoardings taking snaps then at the very least you'll be asked to cease and desist.

If you're carrying a bag then you're very likely to be searched if you're an away supporter.
I have had my bag searched at Bury and Tranmere recently and I hardly fit the profile for a football hooligan being a bald bespectacled 64 year-old (although exceptionally good looking I must confess).

I haven't even risked my LX5 as being turned away after travelling a couple of hundred miles is not appealing. Stewards can be as capricious as airline check-in staff.

A press pass is something that needs to be applied for, with evidence if previously published shots and evidence of who you are working for etc and not something that is bought.

I've always wanted to take mine when I go to see Chelsea (not there is much to photo the way they're playing at the moment )but never had the nerve as you always get searched etc. Saying that the amount of Japanese/tourists walking round the ground before a game with theirs is unreal.
I don't know if I should feel nervy about taking it but have this feeling that I'd walk in with mine and get told I'm not allowed to take it in.
So perhaps if you dress as a tourist you might get away with it :)

I took a bridge camera into a game at Liverpool and again at Sheffield and got some terrific shots from both games, although that was going back some years now before the likes of a dslr was readily available to the masses. Nobody said anything and I gad a steward about 4 feet to my left as I snapped away from the front row.

The number of times I see people going in at the Reebok with DSLR's and are stopped is getting funny the numbers are going up. Nearly all bags are searched nothing about looking like a hooligan or terorist its to stop people with cans and bottles which make pretty good things to chuck at people ok the ref and linesmen and do damage. But if they find other stuff that is against the ground regulations like cameras then I don't quite see what happens to them but the stewards do watch for camera use during the game.

Saying that I did get my 450d with 18-200 in to the facup semi final last year at wembley but I took it to take photos outside and the build up, didnt want to leave it on the coach either and after 3 goals I wasnt really interested in watching the football so the camera came out to have a play. No problem with the stewards or anything and I was quite close to a set of stairs and the guiy walked pats quite a few times.

Last edited:
You will also find it varies from stadium to stadium, league to league. Generally in the lower leagues there are less stewards, and the affair is more relaxed. Admittedly I haven't taken an SLR, but I have seen plently of people happily snapping away. In the higher leagues (SPL here) they are more aware of it, though if you were a few rows back I don't think they'd a) notice or b) care. You could always try break up the outline of your lens abit by wrapping the home teams football shirt or scarf round it to make it blend in abit more. Still a risk of being asked to leave though if it is on the ticket conditions which it is mostly!

it is on the ticket conditions actually, I'm going to ring ahead and say I'm taking the photos for a uni project about my home town or something along those lines.
I'm not wanting to use these pictures for anything more than possibly sharing them here.
I'll let you know how I get on, the only reason I'm going is for the pictures. I think I might head to a park/saturday league game before hand (3pm kick off) Just so I have SOMETHING.

You cant share them on here, its dataco rules and they patrol forums.

wow I honestly didn't things would be so restrictive, I spose I better look into whate exactly I can/can't do with my camera -It's all with good intentions mind, so a little frustrating I'm so limited:|

Similar to concerts but depends on the venue, promoter and artist. You can often get an SLR in but you may be spotted, marched away and camera confiscated until after plus ordered to delete the shots. If you're lucky you get to stay for the remainder just sans camera.

With football, the pro leagues are very protective and don't like any footage, photo or especially video to get out that competes with their own lucrative sales. Still though the attitude is that you can't get decent quality from compacts so they let them go, and we all know compacts can get some amazing shots and especially video now.

That aside, they are private property so it's entirely their right to say no.

Good intentions are great, but these are big money games and they can't be bothered with pleasing the little folk. You may be lucky by asking, no harm, but I doubt they'll care. There's no money in it for them and potential for them to lose money in their eyes.

Last edited:
Right well I got in with it. The steward checked my bag too commenting on how heavy it was so for now things are good. I took a carlsberg onto the stand (against the rules) and they didn't mind just politely said I can't bring it past a certain point . I'm hoping they're relaxed with the camera too but I understand if I'm asked to leave. I wont post pictures up here but keep them as a reminder of the day. I never wanted to step on anyone toes just try my new 8fps out on my new 7d and having not had a Saturday off in ages thought it was a perfect opportunity to do so. Apologies if my message isn't as intended my phone has a mind of its own.

SLR's at Chelsea home games are no problem. You can take them in and shoot from the side of the pitch pre game during warmup. However they did say to not use it during the game.

During the game I see people using camera phones and bridge cameras all the time.

I've taken mine into the AMEX stadium for Brighton but then, my 450D isn't a pro camera but it looks the part I guess.

For those thinking they'd like to take their cameras to football here is a sticky from the "Talking Sports" forum:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=301010

Whether club's enforce the rules or not on a particular day is down to luck, I think. One thing you can be sure of is that if you start posting photos on here or Flickr, et al, DataCo will come after you. Why do you think there is such a lack of pictures from a sport that so many people go to watch every week?

I take my dslr and zoom lens to all the international rugby matches I go to at murryfield stadium and never have a problem

The no photos at all is league football, dataco cover it they are protecting their image rights. Rugby do have an accreditation system for photographers but I am unsure how strict they are regarding supporters in the stands with cameras.
There will always be people saying yeah no problem I got mine in but the rules of entry are no cameras so if you take a camera they can throw you out as your breached the rules.

motorsport condition of entry on the ticket sometimes says no photos to be sold. otherwise dont think theres anything to stop you showing those.

There can be notable exceptions.... try sticking some video footage onto youtube and feel the wrath of F1 upon you!

Essentially the difference is that "big entertainment" will attempt to surpress all non-authorised media, whereas further down the food chain they don't care as its all free advertising.

If the Lotus Cup ever got 530 million people world wide watching it, they'd also not be keen on us posting photos, as it is, posting photos on TP actually doubles their viewing numbers :LOL:

There can be notable exceptions.... try sticking some video footage onto youtube and feel the wrath of F1 upon you!
Though a lot of it is YouTube's auto-ban system applying its own wrath.

They do it for the music industry especially. Dodgy quality bootleg fan shot concert footage is especially annoying as some goes through fine, some get you a nasty black mark against your account, same concert, as I had from Warner for a few clips shot on a phone!. Public open air venue as well, and the artist is even okay with bootleg fan material, but YouTube slapped me down on "behalf" of Warner but I've read they probably had nothing to do with it. Just YouTube do it automatically as part of their deal they made with various interested copyright obsessed industries.

It will all get worse with SOPA. The laws there would be enough to take down these entire forums for one instance of a copyright infringement.

Yeah "autoban" because they are sick of cease and decist notices from legal firms!

Although I know for sure Bernie has a permanent take down team as does top level football...

I thought about trying sport shots and wanted to start at a slow pace at Durham Cricket Ground but there website says photography is forbidden. There is a white water course on the Tees Barage at Stockton a few miles down the road. I have rang them and asked about photography there. No problem if its for your own use, speak with duty manager and fill out a form and you have a pass for the day. I know that at St James Park (will never call it Sports Direct Arena) when i worked at matches if we saw someone with a camera they were just told to put it away.

Back