Small softbox (probably for use with speedlight)

Name
Steve Hall
Edit My Images
No
Do any of you guys have any recommendations on softboxes which would work with a speedlight? I'd been looking for something that would work with my Lencarta setup, but realize that whole system is too big - I'm looking for something to shoot smaller spaces such as car interiors, which a speedlight + small softbox should be ideal for. In terms of size, I'm thinking around 20x20cm and/or 10x30cm stripbox.

Rogue Flashbender with diffuser front, or something from Lumiquest.

Flashbender looks interesting, I guess it won't give quite the level of nice soft even light as a softbox, but a good option nonetheless - certainly beats direct flash!

Flashbender looks interesting, I guess it won't give quite the level of nice soft even light as a softbox, but a good option nonetheless - certainly beats direct flash!

I'd recommend buying the Rogue kit. The little diffuision panel that comes with the kit is very cool indeed, also great for run and gun. Stick your flash on a flash bracket to get it off camera angle as that makes a big difference.

http://www.expoimaging.com/product-detail.php?cat_id=13&product_id=28&keywords=Rogue_Lighting_Kits

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CameraKin...hotography_Flash_Brackets&hash=item3f31c0f8b8

I had a demo of the diffusion panel at the Photography Show in brum earlier this year. The guy took a shot square on of me in my glasses and there wasn't even a reflection in the shot. Long time since I've done the types of event where one of these would come in handy, but I wouldn't do one again without it.

Last edited:
Rogue Flashbender with diffuser front, or something from Lumiquest.
:plus1: A softbox small enough to hide in a car interior won't do much to soften the light - these things are really only worthwhile with very small subjects that are very close to the softbox

I use a Ezybox and find it pretty reliable and useful but never tried it in such a confined space

I have just received mine (bought on Ebay, shipping from China took 6 days). Haven't used it for any proper shots yet, but since I have read comment that the Flashdisc loses quite a bit of light, I though I would do a comparison.

I just took pics of my desk, using the flashdisc, a flashbender (with diffuser panel) and an Eazybox type small softbox. Flash with diffuser on camera set to manual, 1/4 power.

Comparing in Lightroom, the shot with the Eazybox was by far the brightest. Second was the flashbender, which needed its brightness boosted by 0.75-1 to become similar to the Eazybox shot. The Flashdisc was by far the darkest, and needed boosting by 1.5-2 to get to the same brightness as the Easybox.

The quality of light, at least in this simplistic test, was very similar for all three.

So the convenience of a diffuser that folds up very small, compared to the others, is paid for by losing an extra 1 or 2 stops of light.

Last edited:
Ezybox are good, just so happens I am selling one if your interested :)

I have to make a correction to my post above. It was pointed out to me that putting the flash higher up in the flashdisc greatly reduces the loss of light.

So, I tried again, and indeed it does, now, if anything, it is slightly more efficient than the Ezybox. Still need to take some proper photos, rather just test shots of my desk, to compare light quality, but now the flash disc looks very good.

Back