Snakes, Mahogany Frog, Leaf Insect, Gecko

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
I normally post in the macro forums, but these are not really macro though so I think I shoud post them here.

All taken with a 70D, 270EX, Laowa 15mm. Night time.

Neonate male Wagler's Pit Viper (Tropidolaemus wagleri), West Malaysia.
Tropidolaemus wagleri_MG_4521 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Gray's Leaf Insect nymph (Phyllium bioculatum.) from the lowland forest of West Malaysia.
Phyllium bioculatum_MG_4192 copy (2) by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Phyllium bioculatum_MG_4195 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Malaysia Bow-fingered Gecko / White-eyed Forest Gecko / Beautiful Bent-toed Gecko (Cyrtodactylus elok) we found one rainy night, Peninsular Malaysia.
Cyrtodactylus elok_MG_4688 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Cyrtodactylus elok_MG_4685 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Mahogany Frog (Abavorana luctuosa), West Malaysia.
Abavorana luctuosa_MG_4537 copy by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Oriental Whipsnake / Asian vine snake (Ahaetulla prasina), Selangor, Peninsular Malaysia.
Ahaetulla prasina_MG_4666 copy (2) by Kurt (Orionmystery) G, on Flickr

Nice to see you posting again :) I'm guessing these are out in the wild? The pit viper looks ready ;) and love the gecko. Excellent shots.

Cool shots, i really like the gecko on guard.

Probably a really noob question but how have you achieved these backgrounds? i'm assuming it's a case of masking out the subject and darkening the background as opposed to actual lighting in the wild, just wanted to check in case i am missing something obvious.

Probably a really noob question but how have you achieved these backgrounds? i'm assuming it's a case of masking out the subject and darkening the background as opposed to actual lighting in the wild, just wanted to check in case i am missing something obvious.

Not a noob question

He said it was at nighttime so I assume it's just a little bit of manual flash power?

Great photos by the way!

Not a noob question

He said it was at nighttime so I assume it's just a little bit of manual flash power?

Great photos by the way!

Yeah, it looks like you're right and i am guessing the flash was a 270 LEX according to the description. Don't know why, but i just thought any amount of flash would cause the subject to do a runner and we would see some movement in the shot.

Interested to hear op's methodology.

Thanks for the comments, Wez, MilliSnaps.

Good guess. Right, all taken at night with a diffused 270EX on a 70D's hot shoe, with the Laowa 15mm.

Even during the day, with full flash setting (typically F11-16, ISO100/200, 1/200 or 1/250, the background will be dark if there is no object in the near distance. ETTL though, not manual flash power.

Not a noob question

Great photos by the way!

Yeah, it looks like you're right and i am guessing the flash was a 270 LEX according to the description. Don't know why, but i just thought any amount of flash would cause the subject to do a runner and we would see some movement in the shot.

Interested to hear op's methodology.

Thanks for the comments, Wez, MilliSnaps.

Good guess. Right, all taken at night with a diffused 270EX on a 70D's hot shoe, with the Laowa 15mm.

Even during the day, with full flash setting (typically F11-16, ISO100/200, 1/200 or 1/250, the background will be dark if there is no object in the near distance. ETTL though, not manual flash power.

Interesting, thanks for letting us know, think i might have to purchase an ETTL speedlite at some point.

Amazing shots, although not sure I would want to get that close to a wild Viper!
That leaf insect is amazing, to realize that something grows like that purely for camouflage.
There are some that look like brown dried leaves as well I think?

Amazing shots, although not sure I would want to get that close to a wild Viper!
That leaf insect is amazing, to realize that something grows like that purely for camouflage.
There are some that look like brown dried leaves as well I think?

Thanks, Andrew. I have only seen green leaf insects!

Back