Snow chains

Name
pretty obvious really.
Edit My Images
Yes
Aldi are selling snow chains in various sizes for £19.99. Well worth having I think not just for the snow but they will also get you out of a muddy field,

Pointless in this country, chains are for deep snow not the compact ice we struggle wit in this country.

I bought a set two years ago always keep them in my boot. Better to be safe than sorry.

we'd probably have a lot less winter accidents if we had to fit winter tyres by law

I keep a set in my Landrover as quite often my photographic jaunts can take me out into the sticks.

Used them in earnest two years ago in an attempt to get around an abandoned car in snow on a forest track in Radnoshire.

we'd probably have a lot less winter accidents if we had to fit winter tyres by law

While we've had a few days of snow the last couple of years, prior to that it must have been a decade. Now doubtless there is more frequent snow in Scotland and north England, and at higher altitudes, but for a few days each year it is an unwarranted burden on the average motorist. Ordinary summer tyres are fine in the winter, unless you drive everywhere pretending to be Stig Blomqvist doing the RAC rally.

The UK climate has the moderating effect of the gulf stream, something missing in (for example) Germany, which gets more extreme weather as it is largely continental.

Honestly though, the first thing people need to do is learn how to drive appropriately in snow and ice. That alone would decrease the amount of winter accidents surely?

Honestly though, the first thing people need to do is learn how to drive appropriately in snow and ice. That alone would decrease the amount of winter accidents surely?

+1!!!

The amount of bellends I see lose traction on snow/ice and sit there giving it more revs to try and gain traction again :wacky:

Then there are the clueless 4x4 fraternity who obviously don't believe the laws of physics apply to them :shrug:

It's really quite simply...... do everything gently, leave plenty of space between you and the car in front, think/plan head and avoid sudden/big inputs to steering, brakes or gas...... simples!!!

I live at the top of a big hill in the middle of the fourth biggest city in the country and as soon as it snows the whole city grinds to a halt partly because nobody knows how to drive in the snow anymore but mainly because at the first sign of snow the council gritting department dissapear off the face of the earth so to me snow chains are a godsend. I cannot afford to lose a day or twos pay because I can't get to work and I consider £20 a small amount to pay. I might also add that 2 years ago I bought a pair of spare wheels and put winter tyres on them which is a massive improvement but not good enough to be able to get around when the snow is deep.

You only need a covering of snow in South Wales and Everyone goes into Panick Mode. I work in Cardiff and by the time the roads/pavements are covered, you can guarantee the roads near me (North over the muntain) are impossible!
So many people race to get home and the Main Roads get Grid locked ! Noone knows how to drive and people dont change over to Winter tyres (Which show benefits when temps drop below 7'c).
I've invested in snow chains and winter tyres..... I've been able to make it over our local mountain with EASE, whereby others have had to either abandon en route or it takes 5 - 8 hours to travel 10 miles or so...

Granted it happens for only a few days... but they are a godsend and give confidence !

Chains/winter tyres FTW !!

Last edited:
If anyone buy Aldi snowchain or any snow chains for that matter, I would have a dry run before the snow comes.

Also Have those that bought these cheap chains checked clearences behind the wheel, last thing you want is a snowchain rapped round your breakpipes or internal suspension arms and ripping them off

On my Freelander 2, 19" wheels I am limited to the clamp on style like spike Spyders and at £300 a time, I've opt to drive steady , give time and not rev away on my mud/snow rated tyres

The wifes old punto was on winter tyres and was safe and sure footed, unless you drove like a tit

While we've had a few days of snow the last couple of years, prior to that it must have been a decade. Now doubtless there is more frequent snow in Scotland and north England, and at higher altitudes, but for a few days each year it is an unwarranted burden on the average motorist. Ordinary summer tyres are fine in the winter, unless you drive everywhere pretending to be Stig Blomqvist doing the RAC rally.

The UK climate has the moderating effect of the gulf stream, something missing in (for example) Germany, which gets more extreme weather as it is largely continental.
by winter tyres I wasn't referring to big chunky tread off roaders
I was referring to tyres specific for the colder temperatures have a quick google
or chat to your tyre shop
little bit here http://www.kwik-fit.com/winter-tyres-faq.asp

Last edited:
Then there are the clueless 4x4 fraternity who obviously don't believe the laws of physics apply to them :shrug:

I drive a Nissan patrol and had a Hilux before that and I totally agree with you. Hit ice and snow to fast on a bend and they will slide like any other car.Rev the b****x off them and the treads will fill with snow and get you nowhere, the amount of buffoons we get on the shoots trying to get over fields in their RR sports with road tyres on is simply laughable, bettered only by X5 and toerag drivers who believe the marketing hype.

snow socks would probably be better for most stuff (albeit more expensive)

+1. Both my son and I have snow socks for the car, only used them a couple of times, but well worth the money and grip when needed.
I reckon if you wanted a quick diy fix, you could by a few pairs of football socks from sports direct (about £2 a pair) and tie them equally spaced around the tyre. You might laugh but years ago when I played 5-a-side football outdoors in wet slippery conditions, we used to put a pair of socks over the top of our trainers and the grip was fantastic, too good infact as you couldn't do sliding tackles.:LOL:

The tyres I've got on my car are winter tyres not snow tyres, they're a massive improvement over normal tyres in snow and ice but my car has automatic transmission so it's not the best in slippy conditions anyway. However my wife's 17 year old Nissan micra with winter tyres on is unstoppable it gets places I'm sure some 4x4s would struggle and people tend to give it a very wide berth as almost every panel is dented.

by winter tyres I wasn't referring to big chunky tread off roaders
I was referring to tyres specific for the colder temperatures have a quick google
or chat to your tyre shop

I know what you meant, I have a set of Avon Ice touring for my car. I don't think that fitting them should be mandatory in winter though.

As suggested above, snow socks might be better if you don't live in either an area where it snows a lot or if there aren't lots of hills.

Article comparing them and also snow tyres here - http://www.carbuzz.co.uk/blog/Snow-Chains-Socks

Bought some of these last year as the local council around here uses grit very sparingly, not had to use them yet but may well come in handy this year I'm thinking :thinking:

Reading up on winter tyres apparently they simply use a softer rubber that isn't quite so affected by cold so offer better traction than standards summer tyres, also read that they are not that much use in snow which is where socks socks are mainly used??

Simon

Last edited:
If anyone buy Aldi snowchain or any snow chains for that matter, I would have a dry run before the snow comes.

Also Have those that bought these cheap chains checked clearances behind the wheel, last thing you want is a snowchain rapped round your breakpipes or internal suspension arms and ripping them off

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Especially a dry run, ive had lots of experience and this morning while doing some winter prepping did a couple of test runs just to remind me how to do it.
As I can guarantee, its never in daylight you hit the problems, its always in the ruddy dark on a dark road with a torch in your gob trying to hook them.

Also, dare I say it? got your hands in your pockets for a more expensive pair.

Standard snow chains you need to stop after a mile and check tension, for about £50-60 you can get ones that do it automatically.
They are a ruddy mirical worker when situation A becomes apparent.

Also more user friendly.

How the ivans drive in snow There are lessons to be learnt here
After the dry bits that is

··Warning··
Some scenes of possible fatal crashes / death

www.youtube.com/embed/oFkw5JFOmHk

Last edited by a moderator:

Lol - during last weeks floods devon and cornwall police had the following on their website

"remember that your 4x4 being an off road vehicle DOES NOT make it amphibious "

Lol - during last weeks floods devon and cornwall police had the following on their website

"remember that your 4x4 being an off road vehicle DOES NOT make it amphibious "

One of the authorities also released a statement saying "Please remember your Honda is NOT an ark", which made me chuckle.

Last edited:
fuzzyedges said:
How the ivans drive in snow There are lessons to be learnt here
After the dry bits that is

A word of warning

There's plenty of death in that video.

Back