Snow Drop (First RAW process)

Name
Rucel (but call me Rusty)
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening,

I've decided that I really need to seriously think about switching to shooting RAW. So I shot some Snow Drops and deliberately under-exposed them to see what I can do. Please let me know what you think, spare no strike, as I really want to get better.

First the original:
Original4.JPG

Edited from original RAW file:
SnowDrop2.JPG

I'm a poor college student so I made due with Sony's Image Data Converter SR. If you have any tips for using that program, they would be much appreciated!

Taken with 18-55mm @ 55mm, f5.6, 1/60, ISO100

Last edited:
Hi rusty, tbh, i think the raw being shot underexposed hasnt helped the processed one.

Underexposing has caused the snow drop to overexpose and blow-out as you brightened exposure in processing. Try and expose right for the raw, you have much more "play" then.

Definitely a copy of Adobe Camera Raw will help, im not sure if you can get a free version but you'll most likely be able to trial it at least.

As for the photographs themselves, the flower is too soft, focus seems to be half way down the petals, I would have aimed for either the whole flower to be in focus but you would lose some of the blur in the background or focussed on the head of the flower.

Its all good practice though, keep shooting in raw :)

Got to ask why you have deliberately under exposed the snow drop.
Is it simply to practise in RAW?
I would say expose for the photo no matter what you are taking in - then play with your program in order to learn what the program does.
Have to say go back to the RAW converter that you have - I have no experience of the one you are using, and fiddle with the sliders/levels a little more.
Imho I wouldn't have expected an image to become so over exposed from such a under exposed image.
Look at RAW this way - if you take shots in RAW now they are an investment for the future when, as you learn to use or afford bigger programs you can revisit those you take now.
Good Luck.

Back