Snowdon and the Cwm Dyli pipeline

I'd clone it out. Fine shot - nice balance of light and shade.

Painting it camouflage would have been cheaper. Perhaps volunteers could offer?

I think I'd leave the pipe in. Cloning maybe able to eliminate it but it is there and in a wierd way it adds a dimension to the image I.e. natrual beauty with a man made scare!

Wasn't there a rather long winded thread about this recently :exit:

Yes. I took part.....but it is a very relevant issue to the landscape photographer. This image would be "improved" if I cropped the pipeline out but would it be honest?

Painting it camouflage would have been cheaper. Perhaps volunteers could offer?

I think I'd leave the pipe in. Cloning maybe able to eliminate it but it is there and in a wierd way it adds a dimension to the image I.e. natrual beauty with a man made scare!

You'd think camouflage would help, I agree.

As regards the photo Lovely work again, Jerry. Love the golden light up through the pass. and that little window in the cloud framing the summit, nice contrast between the light and dark.

As for the pipeline, my view would have been to cover it with stone or slate. (Theres enough up there!) essentially build the pipeline into a wall, job done, looks like a semi natural feature, certainly better than a blo66y great pipe!

Well done, Nice Work!

You see the bit of pipeline at the bottom, more or less in the middle - well it drops almost vertically from this point to the power station in the valley, several hundred feet lower. Not so easy to cover up unfortunately.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Ah yes of course! uummm bit difficult to wall it up then! Its a beautiful area, and i love North Wales, spent a lot of time there a while ago and nearly worked in Anglesea when i left the millitary.
Even though most people would agree it is a bit of an eyesore, I guess we have to balance that thought with the fact the whole area has had a huge industrial past, and this is reflected in the landscape everywhere.

Love Snowdonia Photographs so you can do no wrong;)
All the Best
Steve

The pipe is there, and visible from the area you took the shot from so I wouldn't clone it out - you've just got to work around it and make it a part of the image.

After all, it's a nice lead-in line..................

(My coat's already on).

Fine shot

I'd leave the pipeline in - it's there.

They should tap into it near the top and make a giant water slide.:)

A very nice shot. I don't know if the pipeline helps or hinders, but it is there. That is what you saw, so it should be included. If we start cloning shots with a pipe,cable or any other man made thing in the way, it would be nothing like the real world.

It has to stay Jerry. .it's such a distinct part of the scenery from this viewpoint. I personally think when you come across something like this you take the shot with it in or go somewhere else

simon

It has to stay Jerry. .it's such a distinct part of the scenery from this viewpoint. I personally think when you come across something like this you take the shot with it in or go somewhere else

simon

I agree. There seems to be a bit of a consensus here and I must admit that I'm relieved. The rise and rise of the cloning tool has not gone as far as I thought it might have done.

I am SO glad you havnt cloned it out as I would have simply SLATED you for doing so.....Reason being I live 8 mile away form it and it is part and parcel of the landscape..........If cloned out it simply isnt what YOU saw when you took in the picture...........The cloning tool is used far to often to not only get rid of power lines ETC BUT even worse to insert things into images that were never there ....I APPLAUED you for showing the image as it is

Dave

I am SO glad you havnt cloned it out as I would have simply SLATED you for doing so.....Reason being I live 8 mile away form it and it is part and parcel of the landscape..........If cloned out it simply isnt what YOU saw when you took in the picture...........The cloning tool is used far to often to not only get rid of power lines ETC BUT even worse to insert things into images that were never there ....I APPLAUED you for showing the image as it is

Dave

Well said, that man.

I would have cloned it, I think. I might not have, but I probably would of...

I would of purely because the view is timeless and wild, it hasn't changed for centuries with the exception of that pipeline, which is a minuscule part of the timeline that view has existed on. I'm waffling a bit now as I try and form my reasons to words in my head to letters on the screen all in one go, but hopefully that'll make some sort of sense to someone :)

Aaarrgggghhhh.....that sounds like Photoshop.......

I've tried something similar in Lightroom but it didn't really seem to work. Many thanks for the suggestion; I think you're on the right lines in this sort of situation.

Leave it in. Select the burning tool to highlights and slowly burn it in,just enough so that it can still be seen.

Prior to photographic images the legacy from all contemporary artists is the images which remain. Whether things were 'removed' or added' is mainly conjecture. To my mind the pipeline should be left in - the landscape is what it is and shouldn't be altered.

Let's face it, what would we know if early engravers had omitted, what is now, The Great Wall of China? Originally, it was 'just' a frontier barrier but now, well .... it's all sorts of things!

I would have cloned it, I think. I might not have, but I probably would of...

I would of purely because the view is timeless and wild, it hasn't changed for centuries with the exception of that pipeline, which is a minuscule part of the timeline that view has existed on. I'm waffling a bit now as I try and form my reasons to words in my head to letters on the screen all in one go, but hopefully that'll make some sort of sense to someone :)

The pipeline's been there for well over a century... a brief history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cwm_Dyli

What it doesn't mention is how much opposition the grand scheme of electrification generated, but as is always the case with English incomers not locals. It was the railway though that was the main target for it, not the pipeline. (The railway was to be screened and hidden by planting trees and bracken as much as possible) Don't forget at the same time the Copper mines were working around Llyn Llydaw and Glaslyn, as well as in the neighbourhood around about, and of course the Slate Quarries... Eryri was a lot different to how you see it today and therefore I say the Pipeline is an important part of any photo of the location!

The pipeline's been there for well over a century... a brief history http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cwm_Dyli

What it doesn't mention is how much opposition the grand scheme of electrification generated, but as is always the case with English incomers not locals. It was the railway though that was the main target for it, not the pipeline. (The railway was to be screened and hidden by planting trees and bracken as much as possible) Don't forget at the same time the Copper mines were working around Llyn Llydaw and Glaslyn, as well as in the neighbourhood around about, and of course the Slate Quarries... Eryri was a lot different to how you see it today and therefore I say the Pipeline is an important part of any photo of the location!

With the history in mind it's a much easier decision!

Alan,

I suspect the Wikipedia entry downplays the importance of providing an electricity supply for the slate quarries/mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog, although I have no idea which route any cables took over the hills. Nor do I know which route the railway would have taken. The Gwynant valley itself is a bit of a dead end.

I agree that the presence of the pipeline adds a sense of history to a very spectacular natural location. But I feel that an opportunity was missed to at least partly hide it when it was renewed in 1990.

Thanks for contributing to an interesting discussion!

Prior to photographic images the legacy from all contemporary artists is the images which remain. Whether things were 'removed' or added' is mainly conjecture. To my mind the pipeline should be left in - the landscape is what it is and shouldn't be altered.

Let's face it, what would we know if early engravers had omitted, what is now, The Great Wall of China? Originally, it was 'just' a frontier barrier but now, well .... it's all sorts of things!

I must admit I'm quite surprised at how few people (just one?) have suggested that the pipeline should be cloned out. It would be SO easy, wouldn't it. I do find it re-assuring that the great majority of people responding recognise that documentary content is still such an important element in a landscape photograph.

Maybe for most (me included) it doesn't spoil the landscape? I'd have thought the choice to clone or not was far more about aesthetics and/or how the photographer sees the scene themselves than an iron rule of removing man-made stuff from landscapes.

Great image BTW. :)

If it wasn't for the grazing of sheep (owned by humans) there'd be tree cover at that altitude and hardly anyone would see the pipe. But things are as they are and should be honoured as they are. I can only imagine two approaches to a scene like this - one is documentary (thus should be objectively faithful) and the other is romantic (thus more subjective), but this last could easily descend into trivial whimsy once the processing starts.

Leave it in. Select the burning tool to highlights and slowly burn it in,just enough so that it can still be seen.

Then you need to deal with the pipe's shadow as well...... but done well, this would be the answer, I think. It would still come under the heading of "processing" , in my opinion......

Maybe for most (me included) it doesn't spoil the landscape? I'd have thought the choice to clone or not was far more about aesthetics and/or how the photographer sees the scene themselves than an iron rule of removing man-made stuff from landscapes.

Great image BTW. :)

Thanks. As shown the pipeline isn't really that intrusive, I guess. I'm tempted to show the whole image as well, with the pipeline in its full glory!

If it wasn't for the grazing of sheep (owned by humans) there'd be tree cover at that altitude and hardly anyone would see the pipe. But things are as they are and should be honoured as they are. I can only imagine two approaches to a scene like this - one is documentary (thus should be objectively faithful) and the other is romantic (thus more subjective), but this last could easily descend into trivial whimsy once the processing starts.

Good point about the sheep! Yes, it would have been woodland, even scrubby stuff , without them.

But it's no good, I'm going to have to post the entire image. That steep hillside is heaving with woolly maggots.View attachment 24797

Must admit I actually like the view framed more to the left to include the Hydro power station, the building has some character about it and I think puts more context to the pipeline

Simon

Must admit I actually like the view framed more to the left to include the Hydro power station, the building has some character about it and I think puts more context to the pipeline

Simon

I can see your reasoning but I'd prefer it without the pipeline completely!

The only interesting feature for me about the full frame composition is that the pipeline is almost exactly parallel to that stone wall that runs up the hill.

Back