Snowman Rally (More Added)

I don't recall asking for a definition of critique :shrug:

You're really missing the point. Yes, by all means criticise composition, technique etc but do it in a positive manner.

eg

1. Too high a shutter speed ie. no movement in picture. Car smack bang in middle of frame ie. lack of composition.
What you say is right. However, it could have been phrased a lot differently.

The shutter speed looks a bit high, maybe it you'd slowed it down a bit it would have given more of an impression of speed. It might also have been better to leave a bit more room for the car to move into to help the composition.

i've added my comments, saying how bloody foolish the OP was, and if he doesn't want to have regard to his safety, fine, but have some thought forthe poor buggers who almost hit him,how would they be feeling once they heard that horiible 'clunk'

as to the 'turd' comment, just my way of saying you can't say a ***** pic is a great pic, although i think one of the rules on this forum is 1 in 11 posts must be utter rubbish, saying a pic with faults is 'orrrsum mate'

Charlie

one of the rules on this forum is dont **** off the mod team, its generally a bad idea.

as to the 'turd' comment, just my way of saying you can't say a ***** pic is a great pic, although i think one of the rules on this forum is 1 in 11 posts must be utter rubbish, saying a pic with faults is 'orrrsum mate

It's not open for debate, if you are going to just sit on your pedestal throwing insults instead of actually offering practical advice...then don't post.

so adding comments and then justifying them when asked ****es off the mods?

fully agree marcos :)

Everyone does have to start somewhere, you're right, and these photos certainly are a start. The main problem is that the OP is very lucky to get another attempt at this lark without being run over!

Crit for the set of photos...

Most of the photos need more thought into the general composition of the shot. Having a car full in the frame can often be good for the press/sponsor type (not always) shot but leave little room for the action side of Motorsport photography. Using some of the simply, basic, rules of photography can help greatly - lead in lines, using the road and the rule of thirds to compose a shot to start with.

Once you've mastered the composition of the shot start thinking about lowering shutter speeds - try walking before you can run. As a rule, apart for cars heading at great speed towards you or over jumps, try and keep the shutter speed below 1/320sec. Panning can be very effective right the way down to 1/15sec for some different shots although it's a difficult skill to master.

Have a look through a lot of the rally shots on this forms from the likes of rally-media, BGilbert, Fly_Half, chrispons and c_robinson - these are some great photographers who spend a lot of time at rallies mastering their art form.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - I talk to lots of togs on events and learn that way.

Most important lesson for any rally tog/spectator is to keep safe. Standing or lying in a ditch with a wide angle lens is not very clever - I'm not going to reignite the argument from earlier but the ramifications of your actions should anything happen are spread far and wide within the motorsport community!

DB

Back