So did anyone go see the 1200mm lens on the embankment today?

Wow! That is a beast! When will Lenses for Hire have that one on their books?? ;)

Last edited:
I remember having a play with this lens in the late 90's.
It was advertised in all the camera mags all the time, basically to show Canon's capability, but it was basically just that, it wasn't expected to sell.
A contact in Canon management told me that their total worldwide sales at that time amounted to 6, and each was sold to (mainly American) government departments.

They sold more than 6 as SI had two, Reuters had one and I know of at least 5 others.

They can't be made any more due to the amount of lead in the glass.

They sold more than 6 as SI had two, Reuters had one and I know of at least 5 others.

Yes, they probably sold a few more eventually, but at the time of that conversation they told me that they had sold only 6

Surely any lead in the glass is permanently locked in and can cause no harm?

Surely any lead in the glass is permanently locked in and can cause no harm?
It's the manufacturing process. Apparently the lead in the glass requires a process which is too polluting for modern standards and there's no way round it.

(At least, that's why the 200mm f/1.8 was discontinued. I assume it's the same thing here.)

Back