So, farewell then.

Edit My Images
No
After just over 50 years racing, Peterborough Panthers held their last race meeting at the EoE Showground last week.

Fittingly against the old rivals, Kings Lynn.

Tough gig, taking pics of whizzy things at 70mph in the dark and between other peoples heads. Nice high ISO practice though! (From 10,000 to 25,600.)

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 5 by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 2 by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 4 by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 7 by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 8 by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 9 by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

PB vs KL Speedway Sep 23 Last man across the line by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Great set, the eyes of the rider in the second from last image! Excellent :)

Great set and glad that you captured the last ever outing. What's the cause please? Is it that speedway doesn't attract crowds or is it one of those "selling the land for housing" grabs?

Great set and glad that you captured the last ever outing. What's the cause please? Is it that speedway doesn't attract crowds or is it one of those "selling the land for housing" grabs?
Absolutely the latter. They get a pretty decent crowd, about 1800 in a 2200 grandstand, the track is on East of England Showground which has held all sorts of events over the years. Will now be built over however, with lots of small boxes for homes, some warehouse units ‘…and amenities’.

Last edited:
Absolutely the latter. They get a pretty decent crowd, about 1800 in a 2200 grandstand, the track is on East of England Showground which has held all sorts of events over the years. Will now be built over however, with lots of small boxes for homes, some warehouse units ‘…and amenities’.
I can't remember to what or how long ago but living in Suffolk I have been to something at the E of E Showground in the past: will that great big facility now go under bricks and mortar? Will there be a replacement? Where will the speedway go?

Great images, I can imagine just how tricky it is to shoot.

My local track, Brandon, is gone too, or at least as good as gone, there is no racing there, and it is being left to rot. The locals want it to be a speedway track, the council wants it to be a speedway track but the owner wants to build houses. :mad:

That killed the Falcons too. The rugby club sold up and moved out of town (mind you, they needed to given the crowds they now attract - Exeter Chiefs!) Used to enjoy watching the speedway back in the mid '70s when Ivan Mauger ruled the roost!

Thanks for sharing that evocative set - I can smell the R!

It's been a long time since I went to Speedway. Last time was in South Africa in the 90's.

I went to school with and was best friends with Deon Prinsloo who raced for Peterborough in 1994 as well as Wimbledon, Exeter, Eastbourne and Long Eaton. Was also SA champion in '94, '95 and '96

Sadly he was killed in a car accident on 2011.

I was often in the pits with Deon and pushed for him for a couple of years in Nelspruit. I used to love the smell of Avgas filling the pits.

Great images, I can imagine just how tricky it is to shoot.

My local track, Brandon, is gone too, or at least as good as gone, there is no racing there, and it is being left to rot. The locals want it to be a speedway track, the council wants it to be a speedway track but the owner wants to build houses. :mad:
Coventry doesn't have a good record with sporting venues :(

Great shots. I’ve been a regular visitor to the EoE showground for the Speedway over the years, and was there for this meeting against Kings Lynn. It’s a massive shame that there will no longer be speedway there. Still awaiting confirmation of a ‘Farewell’ meeting before it closes for good though, so maybe 1 more chance to see some racing there?

*Edited to add, I’ve just seen that the farewell meeting will be on the 7th October, which is bloody typical as I won’t be able to attend that night :(*

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing these - takes me back to going to speedway with my Dad in the late ’70s and early ’80s at Powderhall in Edinburgh, another venue lost to redevelopment.

Love the b&w image.

Cracking pics!!!

We lost both our speedway and MX tracks to housing many years ago, remember watching the Panthers both at Milton Keynes and while on holiday at Kings Lynn against the Stars.

Back