So happy.

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
A friend of mine got a tip off at the weekend about where we could go see hen harriers. So off we went yesterday, camera's in hand just incase and wandered about the heathland for a while in the hope we would stumble across one. Thankfully one of the areas we sat down and watched for a while turned up a harrier for us. We set off down the hillside to try and get some shots. The harrier kept it's distance but got some pics which helped us to i.d. what we thought was a hen harrier. I sent the pics off to Irish Birding and low and behold the hen harrier turned out to be a female Pallid harrier!

This is the first ever recorded sighting of one in Northern Ireland and has created something of a stir.

Anyway here's the dodgy pics but good enough for a positive i.d. :D

Good set of captures then, so are you famous now :D

In my opinion of course I am Ken but others will tell you different. I think they are all sick of hearing about Pallid harriers now (y)

Just found out that this is a 1st summer female Pallid Harrier.

nice find (y)

Cheers, G.

Great work Gavin, i'm sure all on here would be buzzing as you should be right now....:clap::clap:

Thanks very much, Mark. I'm pretty much still buzzing now. Went back this morning for a look to see if we could see it again but no joy. Seen plenty of other stuff including Irish hares, Wheatears and a Peregrine amongst others. I also got the baldy napper burnt off me so not a total waste of a morning :D

Great find. :)

Hope you get the chance to watch her more over the summer....they really are an 'arser' bird, so select a good spot which provides good light from behind for most of the day, dabble with some camouflage and who knows what you can turn up!

like the 1st pic as it looks like it has been painted - weird i know but just my thoughts ;)

congratulations on becoming famous :p

ziggy©;3628599 said:
Great find. :)

Cheers, Ziggy.

Hope you get the chance to watch her more over the summer....they really are an 'arser' bird, so select a good spot which provides good light from behind for most of the day, dabble with some camouflage and who knows what you can turn up!

That's the plan for over the coming months. We'll be heading at least once a fortnight to lie amongst the heather and hopefully see her again.

like the 1st pic as it looks like it has been painted - weird i know but just my thoughts ;)

congratulations on becoming famous :p

Thanks, Banana.

Absolutely stunning shots. So well captured.

Could I just ask what an "arser" bird is?

Absolutely stunning shots. So well captured.

Could I just ask what an "arser" bird is?

Cheers, Martin.

I'm guessing an "arser" bird is one you have to sit about all day waiting on.

Back