So the local newspaper asked me if they could print my Sunrise pic....check out how they cropped it.

Jez

Edit My Images
Yes
i took a sunrise pic at the beach last week...it wasn't amazing but i put it on Facebook as i sometimes do and the local paper saw it and contacted me asking if they could print it the following week,
i was flattered and said yes.
now i'm not 1 to look a gift horse in the mouth but composition is probably the most important thing in a landscape....and the sun is probably the most important thing in a "sunrise"
i had to laugh..

View attachment 25764 View attachment 25765

Hi Jez, Good picture and ruined by your paper, I would be furious and I would let them know how you feel. I make it a condition that the papers that use my pictures do not alter or crop them in any way, If they do don't let them near your work again, remember you are doing them a favor, it all adds to there publication.

Geoff

Reactions: Jez
Hi Jez, Good picture and ruined by your paper, I would be furious and I would let them know how you feel. I make it a condition that the papers that use my pictures do not alter or crop them in any way, If they do don't let them near your work again, remember you are doing them a favor, it all adds to there publication.

Geoff

i was mad initially Geoff.....not that many people see my photo's, and for a few thousand to see this with my name attached is really annoying..

i'm going to email the Editor i think...with a couple of my thoughts, i of course i will be polite....i'm always polite:sneaky:

i was mad initially Geoff.....not that many people see my photo's, and for a few thousand to see this with my name attached is really annoying..

i'm going to email the Editor i think...with a couple of my thoughts, i of course i will be polite....i'm always polite:sneaky:
Your right, keep them on side but be firm for the future and knock them dead with a cracker and ask that it is not tampered with,

Geoff

Looks like they cropped out the dust bunnies:D

Real shame that your shot has been spoiled here!

Look on the plus side though, it still looks a good photo if you imagine you hadn't seen your original.

PLUS; you get your name out there, kudos to you Jez :)

Carl

Real shame that your shot has been spoiled here!

Look on the plus side though, it still looks a good photo if you imagine you hadn't seen your original.

PLUS; you get your name out there, kudos to you Jez :)

Carl

Thanks Carl

Ask him to pass your next photo to the Picture Editor instead of dealing with it himself! (I realise there probably isn't one, but maybe he/she will take the hint) (y)

Had I been the picture editor or whatever I would probably have done the same thing. The sun itself is a distraction. Apart from the very youngest child, every human being knows what the sun looks like. You are asking us to look at the pier or whatever the structure is, but you are also including the sun in the frame. What do you look at, the sun or the pier?

If you boil it down, you only need one focal point. We all know what the sun looks like but we don't necessarily know what the pier looks like, we don't need two focal points, it spoils the picture.

That's why they did what they did, in my opinion of course :cool:.

Had I been the picture editor or whatever I would probably have done the same thing. The sun itself is a distraction. Apart from the very youngest child, every human being knows what the sun looks like. You are asking us to look at the pier or whatever the structure is, but you are also including the sun in the frame. What do you look at, the sun or the pier?

If you boil it down, you only need one focal point. We all know what the sun looks like but we don't necessarily know what the pier looks like, we don't need two focal points, it spoils the picture.

That's why they did what they did, in my opinion of course :cool:.

Are you serious?

I spent time on my composition...i visited the site weeks before....with compass in hand so I knew where the sun would rise...I got up really early for the sunrise

Do you only aim for 1 focal point in your pics?

I'm serious. As a general rule, avoid having the sun in the frame and concentrate on that which the sun is illuminating, i.e. have the sun behind you or thereabouts.

Two focal points - you wouldn't sit and watch two tellies would you?

Keep it simple, we all know what the sun looks like. The feeling you get when you see it doesn't very often transfer into a good image.

You have a good image here. The composition, subject and light, all good. Just better without the sun actually in the frame. ;)

Are you serious?

I spent time on my composition...i visited the site weeks before....with compass in hand so I knew where the sun would rise...I got up really early for the sunrise

How else did you expect the portrait orientation newspaper was going to use your landscape orientation image other than by extensive cropping?

How else did you expect the portrait orientation newspaper was going to use your landscape orientation image other than by extensive cropping?

^^^By using it for say a 1/4 page 'full width' and not cropping to cover a full page..........................the paper must have been desperate to fill the pages that day to crop to fill a page.^^^

As for the original, nice and I do like it but it lacks impact as the sunlight reflecting off of the outfall capping is not 'strong' enough of an element as the outfall cappings are the primary leading line so the sun is too low in the frame to make for 'best look'. Were it higher (nearer the thirds intersection ~ yes by that time it might have burnt through and lost the clouds) the whole would likely have had greater compositional strength............................:)

Last edited:
By using it for say a 1/4 page 'full width' and not cropping to cover a full page..........................the paper must have been desperate to fill the pages that day to crop to fill a page.

As for the original, nice and I do like it but it lacks impact as the sunlight reflecting off of the outfall capping is not 'strong' enough of an element as the outfall cappings are the primary leading line so the sun is too low in the frame to make for 'best look'. Were it higher (nearer the thirds intersection ~ yes by that time it might have burnt through and lost the clouds) the whole would likely have had greater compositional strength............................:)
thanks for the critique Box...i really appreciate it, i'm only really starting out....so any input is great:)

Wow that's interesting although don't think you can compare it to watching 2 TVs lol so does that mean if I'm taking a picture of the Eiffel tower i should try to frame it so the Tower is just out of the picture as we all know what it looks like ? Also the sun can look totally different across a thousand photos by its intensity , position, relative size , colour etc etc etc
I would be annoyed if it was my pic for sure .size,col
I'm serious. As a general rule, avoid having the sun in the frame and concentrate on that which the sun is illuminating, i.e. have the sun behind you or thereabouts.

Keep it simple, we all know what the sun looks like. The feeling you get when you see it doesn't very often transfer into a good image.

You have a good image here. The composition, subject and light, all good. Just better without the sun actually in the frame. ;)

Composition is not just about 'focal points' of interest it also (more importantly) about how the points of interest inter-relate (leading lines/intersecting lines etc within the FG, MG and BG in which at each level within the depth of the picture there can be points of interest) within, in this instance, an urbanesque landscape.

What about if you are taking portraits (animal or people) the eyes are the focal points (note multiple) unless of course you are using a very shallow DoF to emphasis only one eye of the subject when photographing at say a 45 degree angle to their face???

I think I prefer what the news paper has done to it. The siun is too far over for me and the colors don't look natural viewing on my screens.

Paid? :LOL:

do you get paid?

What?! Are you saying you have just encouraged the cheapskates to kill the industry even further? Thanks a lot mate.

P.S. I never ever give any commercial entity anything for free to make profit from.

What?! Are you saying you have just encouraged the cheapskates to kill the industry even further? Thanks a lot mate.

P.S. I never ever give any commercial entity anything for free to make profit from.

I totally agree. You're not doing yourself or anyone else any favours by giving images away. I don't quite get your "gift horse in the mouth" quote. It looks like the paper got the horse to me.

If my local paper wanted to use one of my landscape images I'd let them for free as well I think. I understand that a lot of people make a living from photography, but as this is just a hobby to me, seeing one of my photos printed in a newspaper with my name underneath would be more valuable to me than a small amount of money.

I prefer the crop of I'm honest. It focuses nicely on the better aspects of your (lovely) image.

I certainly wouldn't get too worked up about what they've done and just be happy that it's been requested for placement in the paper.

Oh lord here we go....
Always been happy to see my pictures in media print, paid or unpaid.

The above is a pretty harsh crop, however page space constraints probably dictate that.
I do like the original.

Back