So what does everyone make of the new Sony A6500?

A week ago I nearly bought the a6300. So glad I pre-ordered the Fuji X-T2 instead! I would have been p***ed!

A week ago I nearly bought the a6300. So glad I pre-ordered the Fuji X-T2 instead! I would have been p***ed!

For people wanting a APS-C system the Fuji may appeal more because of the lenses, Sony really hasn't made many new crop E-mount lenses at all which I think is strange given they are still pushing out high-end APS-C bodies.
Sony should bring out some pro-grade f2.8 e-mount zooms for the A6xxx series.

Last edited:
Ok so which is going to be better for IQ.... Sony A6500 vs Fuji XT-2 :D

Last edited:
Ok so which is going to be better for IQ.... Sony A6500 vs Fuji XT-2 :D
Can't imagine there's much in it. From what I've seen the Sony is marginally sharper and the Fuji has better colour. Depends what you like!

This is a slide from the official Sony launch for the A6500 yesterday (taken from SAR);

Bildschirmfoto%202016-10-06%20um%2016.41.54_zpsa4bnnrya.png

1700 Euros. Who'd have thought the old direct Dollar>Pound conversion would seem like a good deal! (I don't know if that's RRP with the lens or body only though to be fair)

touchscreen focusing isnt great excitement. Where is the eye focusing of the film days?

touchscreen focusing isnt great excitement. Where is the eye focusing of the film days?
I agree, to me Sony have yet again implemented a half-finished feature... touch screen is only really used for the touch-AF aspect, the GUI menu isn't touch reactive...... perhaps a test bed for Sony to make another new GUI menu system for the next generation of A9 bodies? :D

1 card slot.
Half arsed touch screen option (Probably can be updated by fm but Sony are not really into useful firmware updates.)
No optional battery grip option.
No joystick.

It's a shame. Hopefully these may be addressed when the a7000 is released in six months.

1 card slot.
Half arsed touch screen option (Probably can be updated by fm but Sony are not really into useful firmware updates.)
No optional battery grip option.
No joystick.

It's a shame. Hopefully these may be addressed when the a7000 is released in six months.

No camera is perfect (not even the Fuji ones :exit:) but the A6500 looks an amazing camera building on many of the features and quality that have made alll the a6000 range so popular. Would I like more yes, but most people buying cutting edge equipment do.

The interesting thing for me is that buy numbering this 6500 they have room for another model above it!

No camera is perfect (not even the Fuji ones :exit:) but the A6500 looks an amazing camera building on many of the features and quality that have made alll the a6000 range so popular. Would I like more yes, but most people buying cutting edge equipment do.

The interesting thing for me is that buy numbering this 6500 they have room for another model above it!

All Fujis are perfect, don't you know?

Understood, but at the price point - it's likely going to be competing with an xt2. In which case I'd expect it to have some more top end features to justify it.

Regarding Sony not providing much in the way of firmware updates as say against Fuji ,I hD to agree but then the thought occurred that Fuji had a lot of annoying problems with some of their earlier cameras.as well I remember having used them but I think Sony seem to get those sort of things correct initially so less need of firmware updates.just my thoughts,i may be wrong

Regarding Sony not providing much in the way of firmware updates as say against Fuji ,I hD to agree but then the thought occurred that Fuji had a lot of annoying problems with some of their earlier cameras.as well I remember having used them but I think Sony seem to get those sort of things correct initially so less need of firmware updates.just my thoughts,i may be wrong

I think they have been positive updates. Such as upping the electronic shutter speed to 1/32000 from 1/4000, and adding new film profiles. Adding more focus points. Pretty major improvements.

It's now showing as £1499 on park cameras which is a better price.
Phew, that's better, still expensive but a better price.

Many of the features where in place prior to the 6000 series. If you pick up the 6300 theres hardly any difference to the nex 6. The issue here is the frequency of the model upgrades with the very limited new features and the price point. If you were buying a new camera from scratch it would be a consideration if you are satisfied with the lens lineup or you like messing about with adaptors.

Last edited:
Sony might release the A6700 soon then the A6500 will become more affordable...

No your right it doesn't but when the life cycle of a flagship XYZ is six months when brands like Olympus, Fuji, canon or Nikon hold on to that for say 3-4years does make for a little sickening in the depreciation department.

Hmm a used a6300 is £879 from MPB- not exactly crippling depreciation!

And there is an upside to a short refresh cycle- it means when you buy a new Sony body the tech is fairly current. Compare with say Canon where you may well end up buying a new body with 2 year old sensor tech- something they are endlessly criticised for. Or indeed Fuji, where I love my XE-2 and would like to see an XE-3 with the newer sensor and AF improvements of the xpro2/xt2, but current opinion is that it's not even on the horizon.

I understand the frustration if you'd just bought an a6300, but this announcement can't be a massive shock, and the difference between manufacturer's release schedules just strikes me as swings and roundabouts.

Still not nice to spend a lot on a new camera only for it to be outdated 6months later, not that it should matter ofc but it does.

Many of the features where in place prior to the 6000 series. If you pick up the 6300 theres hardly any difference to the nex 6. The issue here is the frequency of the model upgrades with the very limited new features and the price point. If you were buying a new camera from scratch it would be a consideration if you are satisfied with the lens lineup or you like messing about with adaptors.

What the focus system, number of focus points, touch screen and in body stabilization, must get me a nex 6!

What the focus system, number of focus points, touch screen and in body stabilization, must get me a nex 6!
I cant recall a time weere my nex mis-focused. I only need one. I have a button to alter focus point, however my face is behind the camera. I have a stabilised lens. And you can pick one up for £150

Last edited:
Back