Soft sigma 24-70mm f2.8?

Gary.D

Hoodie
Name
Gary Derbridge
Edit My Images
Yes
Is this soft or is it just the extreme settings I used.
160th for a portrait is fairly low and f2.8 (ISO 100)

Im getting alot of soft photos which im wondering if it is the lens, or it not being able to cope with these settings.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_9681.jpg

Well there's no arguing that the image you've posted here is soft. Whether it's lens or technique is another question. You'd probably be best to mount the camera on a tripod or use some other form of support and test the lens at different apertures and focal lengths. If you can eliminate human error from the problem then you can pin-point the issue on the lens.
I'd never be satisfied with a lens if this was the sharpest image it could take but it may be down to the sigma performing poorly wide-open...I have no idea if this could be the case because I've no specific knowledge of the lens and its capabilites.
You should also be checking if the problem is down to a focussing problem. By this I mean whether the lens sets focus correctly or possibly infront or behind the desired focus area.

My 24-70 was very good at 2.8 ( had a choice of 6 when i got it in tokyo).
Looks like a focus issue to me, as the bottom bit of the white dress is in focus.
Maybe your camera/lens is front focusing?

Yup, definately seems like either focus issues or an extremely soft lens... Have you just bought this? If so I would take it back for an exchange, or alternatively send it off to Sigma for re-calibrating (will cost if the lens is out of warranty).

Mine is pretty damn sharp, even at 2.8.

Exif says flash fired so could be camera shake with the flash partially freezing the image resulting in the softness shown.

I have the same lens, bought brand new and it is front focusing by about 1cm.. Not much but enough to make the image look soft.

Jessops has agreed to exhcange it with another just waiting for one to come down from another store.. or the other option is Re-cal.

Which/how many focus points were you using and which one(s) achieved lock?

How close were you? At 24mm you could have been quite close and at f2.8 you DOF could be very narrow.

Looks to me like the bouquet is the focus point and the front edge about 1ft in front of the people, placing you about 6ft from the subject - sound about right?

PS tell me that these are you friends and not some kinda paid wedding gig....

I have the same lens and i am getting the same result, it seems to be an AF issue as MF is fine. Mine is under guarantee from Jessops so going to drop it in there to get fixed, only problem is the receipt has all but faded and can not be read properly (is this a ploy by Jessops). so think i may have a battle on my hands. I did ask some one on here how they found this lens and they also had this problem and Sigma fixed it for £33.99 not a great deal but lens is now extremely sharp.

Back